Shutting down and rebooting

Jun 28, 2010 at 2:14 AM

How exactly do I do a real shutdown and reboot?  Cosmos.System.Deboot.Shutdown() and Cosmos.System.Deboot.Reboot() work in QEMU but not on MS virtual PC or on a bootable CD (I like to work with hardcopies).  Does anyone have the code to do this? Thanks :)

Coordinator
Jun 28, 2010 at 7:14 AM
The foolproof way to do shutdowns/reboots is using APM or ACPI, both which are not yet implemented in Cosmos.



On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 4:14 AM, sanchezman <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

From: sanchezman

How exactly do I do a real shutdown and reboot?  Cosmos.System.Deboot.Shutdown() and Cosmos.System.Deboot.Reboot() work in QEMU but not on MS virtual PC or on a bootable CD (I like to work with hardcopies).  Does anyone have the code to do this? Thanks :)

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com


Jun 28, 2010 at 8:10 PM

When do you think the dev kit will include APM or ACPI? Is it set for some time soon?

Coordinator
Jun 29, 2010 at 7:32 AM
No time has been set. We have limited resources, and those resources are now concentrated on compiler and development environment (visual studio integration), improving these two will directly increase the productivity for other people...



On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 10:10 PM, sanchezman <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

From: sanchezman

When do you think the dev kit will include APM or ACPI? Is it set for some time soon?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com


Jun 29, 2010 at 9:11 AM
You can use Cosmos.Kernel.CPU.Reboot(); to reboot (:
Coordinator
Jun 29, 2010 at 9:15 AM
Yes, but that's just working for some situations, just like the thread-starter said..

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 11:12 AM, LittleRicke <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

From: LittleRicke

You can use Cosmos.Kernel.CPU.Reboot(); to reboot (:

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com


Jun 29, 2010 at 9:20 AM
Im using Virtual PC to test my OS and its restarting without problems.
Jun 29, 2010 at 5:34 PM
Yes, that reboot code works for me too. Thanks LittleRicke :-)
Jun 29, 2010 at 6:31 PM
Edited Jun 29, 2010 at 7:14 PM
No problem! :) Btw, how do I make a bootable CD with my OS?
Jun 29, 2010 at 6:47 PM
I use magicISO. You put in the CD, select the ISO (probably in "C:\Users\yourusername\appdata (a hidden folder)\roaming\cosmos userkit\cosmos.iso) you want and the program will do the rest. Then, put it in your comp and when it is just starting up and it is showing who made your computer it will say "f12 for boot options" or something. Press the key it said. It will give you an option to boot from hard drive or cd drive. select the cd drive and you're good to go!
Jun 29, 2010 at 7:22 PM
Thanks! I´ll try this out :)
Feb 28, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Edited Feb 28, 2012 at 10:02 AM
mterwoord wrote:
Yes, but that's just working for some situations, just like the thread-starter said..

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 11:12 AM, LittleRicke <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

From: LittleRicke

You can use Cosmos.Kernel.CPU.Reboot(); to reboot (:

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com


Reboot () is not a static method.    It has to used with the object of a class....