Could one day Cosmos make A SDK for your os as well

Jul 19, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Could one day Cosmos make A SDK for your os as well. So you can dev app for your os and you could use it in console and GUI Os's because when people want to play with your Os they can develop apps for it as well.

Coordinator
Jul 19, 2010 at 10:47 PM

A separate SDK is not needed. The .NET classes are the SDK. Additional functions are simply provided by new classes.

Jul 19, 2010 at 10:59 PM

aw i see

Developer
Aug 6, 2010 at 11:58 PM
for example, you could create a simple scripting language to use as your os's programming language. then create a parser and such. that would be like a .net "overlay" language, no programming .net in C# or VB, but a language unique to your OS.
Coordinator
Aug 9, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Why would we rebuild a language when C#, VB.NET, or any .NET language is already available?

Developer
Aug 9, 2010 at 6:39 PM

to create a unique experience to your os only, not some ECMA or Microsoft created language.

Coordinator
Aug 11, 2010 at 12:51 AM

Cosmos can already use any .NET language. Why invent our own? You can use Fortran for .NET to program Cosmos if you want.

Sep 28, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Hi Kudzu,

I dont know if i've got the wrong end of the stick here, but I think what the OP is looking for is an SDK for people to write apps on the OS, not 'built into' the OS...

So the OS would need to know what to do with an exe or .dll extension (which presumably it doesn't yet)... I'm assuming what the OP is looking for, and also probably where the project is going anyway, is to have the .Net Runtime running on the OS.

So essentially, whats missing is not so much 'an SDK' but the links between the OS and the program to be run on it, if I understand correctly, to run an app on cosmos at the moment, the app itself needs to run through IL2CPU, cosmos wouldn't know what to do with a standard .net exe any more so than my old commodore would...

Again, if i've got the wrong end of the stick, let me know!

Thanks

Steeven

Sep 28, 2010 at 7:39 PM

in order for an executable file which would be awsome they would need a runnable hardrive read/write but they dont

Coordinator
Sep 30, 2010 at 1:17 PM
On 9/28/2010 2:40 PM, xdalutzx wrote:
> in order for an executable file which would be awsome they would need a
> runnable hardrive read/write but they dont

We have basic file reading, but thats not the problem. Before you can
load executables, a whole loading system needs to be implemented,
relocation in memory, dynamic linking etc...

Its not a small task and we have many priorities ahead of that.
Oct 1, 2010 at 12:21 AM

ur file reading doesnt work any way ive tried and without writing capabilities its not very useful no offense i know u have lots of work

Developer
Oct 1, 2010 at 1:57 AM

Just a suggestion, but maybe we could implement some type of scripting language eventually.

Coordinator
Oct 1, 2010 at 9:43 AM
Try this:

format your disk drive without partitioning it. Format it with the ext2 filesystem.
Put a text file on it
use Directory.GetDirectories("/"). It should return 1 item ("0")
Use Directory.GetFiles("/0"), it should return your filename.

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 1:21 AM, xdalutzx <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

ur file reading doesnt work any way ive tried and without writing capabilities its not very useful no offense i know u have lots of work

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Oct 1, 2010 at 1:47 PM
Edited Oct 1, 2010 at 1:48 PM

You could try looking into .NET Reflection which allows you to load and execute .NET assemblies at runtime.

EDIT: I'm not sure if COSMOS supports Reflection yet, but I imagine it will eventually.

Coordinator
Oct 1, 2010 at 1:54 PM
.NET reflection is an interface to the runtime environment (.NET implementation). Our .NET implementation (Compiler+kernel) doesn't support runtime dynamic compilation etc.

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 2:47 PM, sashabu <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

You could try looking into .NET Reflection which allows you to load and execute .NET assemblies at runtime.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com