Help with Console.ReadKey

Aug 15, 2010 at 3:40 AM

Help! I'm using MS4, because MS5 does not support VS2010 which I am using. Anyways, I created this test project as a normal console project, and I made a simple text editor with it, however it uses Console.Readkey which you guys don't seem to support. Is there any function you guys have in MS4 that functions like Console.ReadKey and can also detect modifier keys like Control and Alt? I have the Cosmos.Hardware already referenced. Once again, I'm using MS4. Thanks!

Coordinator
Aug 15, 2010 at 3:58 AM

Nothing that I can think of off hand, but you can plug readkey. There is an issue opened by someone else a few days ago and someone posted sample code for a plug.

We have a new release for Express coming any day now, and after that its 2010. We are already working on 2010, but the VS API has changed and its taking us a bit to get it working.

Aug 15, 2010 at 4:04 AM

How would I "PLUG" it? By "a post a few days ago" do you mean the "Help Displaying Text" one? Maybe I could use Cosmos.Hardware.ReadKey?

Coordinator
Aug 15, 2010 at 4:13 AM

You can look at the plug for ReadLine for example.

Re hardware.readkey - sounds like a good start.. you can look at the source to see what it returns. Im actually working on the console class now, but a lot of work still on it to "upgrade" it to the new kernel structure.

Aug 15, 2010 at 4:15 AM

Thanks. BTW, when will MS5 be COMPLETE and STABLE and support VS2010?

Aug 15, 2010 at 4:21 AM

Hey, thanks. I got it working now. Anyways, how would I get in and out of VGA mode? I want to display a boot logo in VGA but

then revert to the DOS prompt environment for my OS.

Coordinator
Aug 15, 2010 at 4:34 AM

MS5 is already out. The next release won't be MS5. There is still a lot of work to do, but MS5 was a major milestone and things from here out go much faster.

VGA, look in Cosmos.Hardware assembly, there was very basic VGA work done there.

VS2010... I dont know. Depends how long it takes us to solve the issues, but I hope by the end of August.

Aug 15, 2010 at 8:53 AM

Hey! Thanks for your help. Anyways, does Console.In work? I need it to save files in my os, simply by getting the text of the console.