Installation problems

Sep 2, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Hello,

After experimenting a while with Cosmos I finaly got stuck. So I removed everything from Cosmos an installed MileStone 4 again. And I downloaded changeset 64780, the latest I believe with a VBSetup. I copied the files in the Build-directory into the Cosmos-directory and installed the Vb-template.

When creating a new CosmosBoot-project the compiler can't find the file AssemblyInfo.vb in the template directory. Shouldn't this have been created when installing the vsi-file? By the way, I am using VbExpress and am trying to find out how far I can go with free software (that's always the fun part).

Could someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Coordinator
Sep 2, 2010 at 10:39 PM

At the current state the VB Templates are commented out, so that installer dont have them. When you use VBExpress 2010, then you need a newer changeset. Since Today it run for vs 2010, but i dont know about express editions. You must manuall edit the inno setup files, so that the installer can copy the templates. But i dont know about any success. Try C# Express there you could have more luck.

Sep 3, 2010 at 8:48 AM

I use VBExpress2008 and got it the first time  working by manually adding the necessary references etc. in a new project. It did the trick,en I was able to print some text to the screen. But when I tried to convert the guesgame to VB.net, I could't get a simple If-Then-Else working. It got stuck when the input needed to be compared to the random number, it needed a plug.

If I want to experiment with plugs, I need to have cosmos installed correctly. Since I had to setup many things manually, I thought perhaps I was doing something wrong. But there is no simple solution to install comsos for VB even when I use a changeset with VBSetup?

Coordinator
Sep 3, 2010 at 8:51 AM
Are you using the new project system based approach, or old builder?

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 9:48 AM, veenjw <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I use VBExpress2008 and got it the first time  working by manually adding the necessary references etc. in a new project. It did the trick,en I was able to print some text to the screen. But when I tried to convert the guesgame to VB.net, I could't get a simple If-Then-Else working. It got stuck when the input needed to be compared to the random number, it needed a plug.

If I want to experiment with plugs, I need to have cosmos installed correctly. Since I had to setup many things manually, I thought perhaps I was doing something wrong. But there is no simple solution to install comsos for VB even when I use a changeset with VBSetup?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Sep 3, 2010 at 11:21 AM

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly.

I'm getting an error with the AssemblyInfo.vb when I want to open a new Cosmos-project, if that is what you mean.

My last build (with manually added references etc.) did work,except the problem(s) mentioned above.

Coordinator
Sep 3, 2010 at 11:27 AM
What cosmos version are you using?

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 12:21 PM, veenjw <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly.

I'm getting an error with the AssemblyInfo.vb when I want to open a new Cosmos-project, if that is what you mean.

My last build (with manually added references etc.) did work,except the problem(s) mentioned above.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Sep 3, 2010 at 12:12 PM

The version that comes with MileStone 4 and changeset 64780.

Or do you need an exact serialnumber? In that case I have to bootup my other (stand allone) pc.

Coordinator
Sep 3, 2010 at 12:30 PM
We're (still) expecting to do a release sometime soon, which includes support for express. This means that it's also possible to use (somewhat limited though) VB. I'm not sure when though, as I'm curently very busy with non-cosmos related stuff..

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 1:13 PM, veenjw <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

The version that comes with MileStone 4 and changeset 64780.

Or do you need an exact serialnumber? In that case I have to bootup my other (stand allone) pc.

Sep 3, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Thank you. Yes, I've read something about this on, I believe, gocosmos.org and I'm looking forward to it.

I know VB is not the ultimate tool for someting like this, but since I'm just playing with it, it's just fine for me. And I just thought that with a correct installation, I could at least work with some basic stuff like the guesgame.

Since I can't create a new CosmosBoot-project, I will have to add all the references etc. manually in an empty project. Perhaps someone has an example in VB so I can check if I have indeed added all the right stuff?