This project is read-only.

My COSMOS not booting on real PC and from the CD

Nov 1, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Hello,

I am new to COSMOS and I created a test operating system. The things were going good till I was running my COSMOS by clicking 'debug' in VS2008 SP1, and running in QEMU given under COSMOS,  also the OS was executing successfully when I played the cosmos.iso file in VMWare Player and QEMU Manager externally. But when I tried to run the iso on Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, the virtual machine halts and nothing is displayed except a blinking cursor. Also when I burn the ISO on a DVD and then booting with it it shows ISOLINUX 1.x and then halts the system for sometime then the system is rebooted automatically. When I tried this DVD on QEMU Manager, it shows following error: "Image checksum error, sorry... Boot Failed: Press any key to retry..."

I retried but again the same error is coming.

Please tell me what to do....

Thank You.

And I must say to COSMOS developers that you are doing a very innovative work. Keep it up COSMOS dudes :-)

Nov 2, 2010 at 12:06 PM
I find it plain rude to double post a message both to 1 of the official support channels, and to the email addresses of one of the project leaders...

Virtual pc is known to emulate some hardware in a weird way, therefore, we don't support it )yet)

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Aishwarya2010 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hello,

I am new to COSMOS and I created a test operating system. The things were going good till I was running my COSMOS by clicking 'debug' in VS2008 SP1, and running in QEMU given under COSMOS, also the OS was executing successfully when I played the cosmos.iso file in VMWare Player and QEMU Manager externally. But when I tried to run the iso on Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, the virtual machine halts and nothing is displayed except a blinking cursor. Also when I burn the ISO on a DVD and then booting with it it shows ISOLINUX 1.x and then halts the system for sometime then the system is rebooted automatically. When I tried this DVD on QEMU Manager, it shows following error: "Image checksum error, sorry... Boot Failed: Press any key to retry..."

I retried but again the same error is coming.

Please tell me what to do....

Thank You.

And I must say to COSMOS developers that you are doing a very innovative work. Keep it up COSMOS dudes :-)

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Nov 3, 2010 at 6:34 AM

I am really sorry if you find my this way rude. I wanted to quickly get the solution to my problem because I have to submit a project in my college in this week and I think an OS will be nice one. M really sorry. 

I want to ask one more thing that why my cosmos is not booting on real system and halting at "ISOLINUX 1.x........." loading statement?

M burning that ISO file to CD directly from an ISO burner software but can't able to boot from it. Is something else I have to do? or some other files I have to add? 

Please help me as soon as you can.....

Nov 3, 2010 at 7:30 AM
Are you burning a CD or a DVD? May be different...

Also, we don't really support bare metal yet, as those things are not
tested (at all?)..

On 11/3/10, Aishwarya2010 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:
> From: Aishwarya2010
>
> I am really sorry if you find my this way rude. I wanted to quickly get the
> solution to my problem because I have to submit a project in my college in
> this week and I think an OS will be nice one. M really sorry. I want to ask
> one more thing that why my cosmos is not booting on real system and halting
> at "ISOLINUX 1.x........." loading statement?M burning that ISO file to CD
> directly from an ISO burner software but can't able to boot from it. Is
> something else I have to do? or some other files I have to add? Please help
> me as soon as you can.....
>
>
Nov 3, 2010 at 12:40 PM

I am burning on a DVD-RW.

Is I have to burn it on a CD instead?

Nov 3, 2010 at 12:46 PM
possibly, but not sure. please give it a try. other possible solutions
can be to modify cosmos source code to disable ata code for now..

>
> I am burning on a DVD-RW.Is I have to burn it on a CD instead?
>
>
Nov 3, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Ok I will try for the CD.  But please fix this issue first because this booting issue has first priority in OS development. Booting should be made stable first and should boot on most systems. Other things like file system, kernel are later taken care of. You can understand my point. isn't it?

And can you please tell me the conversion of COSMOS source code into ata code? Or give me any link in discussions(if discussed before) or on web.

Nov 3, 2010 at 1:07 PM
Of course our goal is to boot up on all x86/x64 systems, but problem is resources: we only have a handful of active members, and currently we are focussing on things like debugger and compiler, which will pay out in the end: tracing where a boot gets stuck will be much easier using a debugger than without.....

Please note, currently we're having issues with our VS 2010 integration...

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Aishwarya2010 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Ok I will try for the CD. But please fix this issue first because this booting issue has first priority in OS development. Booting should be made stable first and should boot on most systems. Other things like file system, kernel are later taken care of. You can understand my point. isn't it?

And can you please tell me the conversion of COSMOS source code into ata code? Or give me any link in discussions(if discussed before) or on web.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Nov 3, 2010 at 1:16 PM

I pray to God for all of you to give strength to all your development team to build COSMOS as a stable and perfect OS development tool. Keep going guys :)

Please give me that link to converting COSMOS code to ata code?

Nov 3, 2010 at 1:34 PM
link? what do you want with a link?

>
> I pray to God for all of you to give strength to all your development team
> to build COSMOS as a stable and perfect OS development tool. Keep going guys
> :) Please give me that link to converting COSMOS code to ata code?
>
>
Nov 3, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Means tell me or give me a website link on how can I disable ata code from COSMOS code?

Nov 3, 2010 at 11:05 PM

download the source and modify it!

Nov 6, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Its booting from the CD. yupieee.......thank you so much mterwoord :-)