Multi-tasking

Dec 8, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Can someone please explain how to make multi-processing and multi-tasking?

Dec 8, 2010 at 8:57 AM

...and I mean multi-tasking on Cosmos.

Coordinator
Dec 8, 2010 at 8:58 AM
implementing multitasking and/or multiprocessing in an operating system is a HUGE task.

for most things you dont really need it. Maybe you could shed a light on what you try to achieve?

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 9:55 AM, csiew88 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Can someone please explain how to make multi-processing and multi-tasking?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Dec 8, 2010 at 8:59 AM

I just want very simple multi-tasking for task switching.

Coordinator
Dec 8, 2010 at 9:01 AM
that's technical: what functional stuff you try to achieve?

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 9:59 AM, csiew88 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I just want very simple multi-tasking for task switching.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Dec 8, 2010 at 9:05 AM

My full wish list for my OS:

1. File System
    1. Device Support
  2. Networking
    1. Local Networking
    2. Fetching files from the web
  3. Simple multi-processing
    1. E.G. Copying a file while making a text file
  4. Text User Interface
  5. Simple Scripting Language
    1. Simple scripting to do programming and debugging within the OS itself

I'm not rushing to get this done.

Coordinator
Dec 8, 2010 at 9:15 AM
if you're that "demanding", your best bet is to contribute to the project, as just filesystem support, networking, etc, is a huge amount of work, and multiprocessing support an exponential amonut of work of that....

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 10:05 AM, csiew88 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

My full wish list for my OS:

1. File System
    1. Device Support
  2. Networking
    1. Local Networking
    2. Fetching files from the web
  3. Simple multi-processing
    1. E.G. Copying a file while making a text file
  4. Text User Interface
  5. Simple Scripting Language
    1. Simple scripting to do programming and debugging within the OS itself

I'm not rushing to get this done.

Dec 8, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Unfortunately, my programming skills are horrible. I would love to contribute to the project... IF I was a fantastic programmer.

Developer
Dec 13, 2010 at 1:59 PM

hey if u want to switch two windows just create a Master Variable. Then when u are about to draw a window set the master variable to 1. Make sure the master variable in included in the while loop of your sub program. Then create a Button and Name it Switch. So whenever u click the  switch button it will set the variable to 2 and disable the current app window. Note switch should only work if you have two windows open.

example:

//program 1

your function to draw window and other window stuff.

MasterVar=1; //Master variable set to 1;

Do

{

do something...

}

while(MastertVar=1)

//program 2

your function to draw window and other window stuff.

MasterVar=2; //Master variable set to 2;

Do

{

do something...

}

while(MastertVar=2)

public static void Switch()

{

if(MasterVar>2)

{

if(MasterVar=1)

{

MasterVar=2;

call the second program         

}

else if(MasterVar=2)

{

MastertVar=1;

call the first program

}

}

Note :your app needs to be able to save and restore its buffer.

example if you have a text editor and you enter input in it, save it in a string(buffer) . And your text program should load the strings contents to the screen everytime it is redrawed.