how to build iso

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Hi,

  I have been a VB developer for years, so I tried to build an application using the VB template.  It worked fine until I tried some VGA stuff, then the compiler started thowing errors when I tried to compile some code I converted from C#, it was converted correctly, however when COSMOS tried do something with it I would always get an error like "The method or operation is not implemented.".  A confusing error however easy enough to find.  The cause was a line like...

Dim b as byte
b = (2 * 2)
or
b = cbyte(2*2)

Support for VB.NET probably should be dropped as its not complete and doesnt work well for the most part.

Anyway, I ported my code back over to C#, and am trying to build it there... It builds fine, but the VB version generates an ISO automagically, how do I get the C# version to do the same?

 

Coordinator
Feb 9, 2011 at 12:29 PM
The support for VB is the same as for c#: if it works, it works, if it doesn't, please join us and fix it ;-)

theoretically speaking, both vb and c# compile to .net assemblies, which is what we use as input. However, vb.net uses quite a bit helper methods (vb runtime) which likely use fuzzy things, compared to c#...


On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 2:26 PM, stimphy <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

From: stimphy

Hi,

I have been a VB developer for years, so I tried to build an application using the VB template. It worked fine until I tried some VGA stuff, then the compiler started thowing errors when I tried to compile some code I converted from C#, it was converted correctly, however when COSMOS tried do something with it I would always get an error like "The method or operation is not implemented.". A confusing error however easy enough to find. The cause was a line like...

Dim b as byte
b = (2 * 2)
or
b = cbyte(2*2)

Support for VB.NET probably should be dropped as its not complete and doesnt work well for the most part.

Anyway, I ported my code back over to C#, and am trying to build it there... It builds fine, but the VB version generates an ISO automagically, how do I get the C# version to do the same?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com


Feb 9, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Thanks for the fast response... but can you assist with the second question?

Anyway, I ported my code back over to C#, and am trying to build it there... It builds fine, but the VB version generates an ISO automagically, how do I get the C# version to do the same?

I am referring to the output of the Debug and Release folders.  In VB.NET it generates the ISO automatically which I attach to my VM and launch it.  In the C# version an ISO is not generated.  How do I get it to generate an ISO after each build like VB.NET does?

Coordinator
Feb 9, 2011 at 12:49 PM
What cosmos version you have installed? you should just be able to hit F5 in VS, and then have your VMware (workstation or player) run automatically

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 2:44 PM, stimphy <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

From: stimphy

Thanks for the fast response... but can you assist with the second question?

Anyway, I ported my code back over to C#, and am trying to build it there... It builds fine, but the VB version generates an ISO automagically, how do I get the C# version to do the same?

I am referring to the output of the Debug and Release folders. In VB.NET it generates the ISO automatically which I attach to my VM and launch it. In the C# version an ISO is not generated. How do I get it to generate an ISO after each build like VB.NET does?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com


Feb 9, 2011 at 1:09 PM
Edited Feb 9, 2011 at 1:18 PM

I am using build 72638

It's easier for me to have the ISO, how do I get the IDE to generate it when compiling in C# like the VB.NET project does?

Coordinator
Feb 9, 2011 at 1:10 PM
well, you'd just use the default project settings for that, and build...
what version of cosmos you have installed?

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 3:09 PM, stimphy <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

From: stimphy

It's easier for me to have the ISO, how do I get the IDE to generate it when compiling in C# like the VB.NET project does?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com


Feb 9, 2011 at 1:20 PM

ok, figured it out, all the project settings from each appear to be the same, however the startup project in vb.net is CosmosKernelXXBoot and in C# it was CosmosKernelXX rather than CosmosKernelXXBoot.  This caused the issue as the build for CosmosKernelXXBoot as being skipped when CosmosKernelXX was set as default.

Live and learn.

Coordinator
Feb 9, 2011 at 1:23 PM
Ah, you should have answered my question about cosmos version, could have told you: this is an optimization in our visual studio integration..

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 3:20 PM, stimphy <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

From: stimphy

ok, figured it out, all the project settings from each appear to be the same, however the startup project in vb.net is CosmosKernelXXBoot and in C# it was CosmosKernelXX rather than CosmosKernelXXBoot. This caused the issue as the build for CosmosKernelXXBoot as being skipped when CosmosKernelXX was set as default.

Live and learn.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com