NEED TEST OS'S OR PROJECT EXAMPLES FOR USE IN COSMOS??????

May 24, 2011 at 11:31 PM

Hey guys. my name is Matt or you may call me Civilwarrock. I am 13 years old and trying to get a head start on how to make a operating system. Since I am in my early ages. So to do this I need your help. I need all the source code and examples I can get my hands on so I may learn. If you know of any operating systems that are open source or any examples that are. Please send them to me. My email is: civilwarrock@yahoo.com or reply to this post. Together you guys can help me learn how to do this kind of programming. I appreciate the help. Thanks everyone - Matt  

May 25, 2011 at 2:24 AM

Can you even code in C#?

May 25, 2011 at 2:33 AM

How RUDE!!!!!!!!! Mind you i've made a Game Maker, A online operating system and more, heres a question: CAN YOU EVEN CODE? Anyway, I hate petty people who are a** holes because im 13. YES I CAN CODE IN C#!

Coordinator
May 25, 2011 at 3:38 AM
> Hey guys. my name is Matt or you may call me Civilwarrock. I am 13 years
> old and trying to get a head start on how to make a operating system.
> Since I am in my early ages. So to do this I need your help. I need all
> the source code and examples I can get my hands on so I may learn. If
> you know of any operating systems that are open source or any examples
> that are. Please send them to me. My email is: civilwarrock@yahoo.com or
> reply to this post. Together you guys can help me learn how to do this
> kind of programming. I appreciate the help. Thanks everyone - Matt

Everything is on CodePlex. Depending on how deep you want to go, there
is so much to do..... Try to grab someone on IRC.
May 27, 2011 at 3:57 AM
civilwarrock wrote:

Hey guys. my name is Matt or you may call me Civilwarrock. I am 13 years old and trying to get a head start on how to make a operating system. Since I am in my early ages. So to do this I need your help. I need all the source code and examples I can get my hands on so I may learn. If you know of any operating systems that are open source or any examples that are. Please send them to me. My email is: civilwarrock@yahoo.com or reply to this post. Together you guys can help me learn how to do this kind of programming. I appreciate the help. Thanks everyone - Matt  

Your comment is actually rather rude. You are asking for source code and examples without taking the proper steps to understand what your doing. Operating system development is far more difficult than just C# programming. You need to understand the low level aspects of how computers function. And while I think it is rather brave for someone your age to undertake such a task: Asking for source code without pre-requites will get you no where. I seriously recommend that you take a moment and understand what your doing. Then begin reading, don't even write one line of source code until you have a basic understanding of the following: IRQ's, Paging, the i386 architecture, basic assembly language (i386), and how a CPU functions (Bus, ALU, etc..).

One last thing, look at your message to "SethiXzon": Its very childish, and yes you very well may be thirteen, but that does not excuse you from using proper manners and proper grammar. I am not here to bash you, just to point out some very basic beginner mistakes for future reference.

Coordinator
May 27, 2011 at 7:32 AM
Blackfireize: Although Operating System Development is a very, very complicated subject, Cosmos is trying to hide that from the developer: accessing a filesystem in a cosmos kernel will be something like:

var xDirs = Directory.GetDirectories("/");
for(int i = 0; i < xDirs.Count; i++)
{
Console.WriteLine(xDirs[i]);
}

Problem is, some people without any Operating System Development skills are trying to do complicated things on their own, while they'd be MUCH better off to join us in the Cosmos development (for certain parts of that, you wouldn't even need paid VS editions..).

Parts we need help with, aside from lowlevel stuff like compiler, are:
+ testing of compiler
+ more testing of compiler
+ and even more testing of compiler

Kudzu is working on FAT support, and he's quite close, but he's hitting compiler bugs. If we have clear what those bugs are (everyone can help with that), we can decide what to do with them:
+ work around: some issues might be crap, but work-around-able. After the coming release (which focuses on fat), we plan to do major work on compiler, so we dont want to spend too much work on compiler now, if it's not necessary..
+ fix: some issues might be too problematic to work around and can be fixed. This needs to be done by people with some knowledge of assembler and compiler.

We REALLY could use all help we can get on the testing part..

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 4:57 AM, blackfireize <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

civilwarrock wrote:

Hey guys. my name is Matt or you may call me Civilwarrock. I am 13 years old and trying to get a head start on how to make a operating system. Since I am in my early ages. So to do this I need your help. I need all the source code and examples I can get my hands on so I may learn. If you know of any operating systems that are open source or any examples that are. Please send them to me. My email is: civilwarrock@yahoo.com or reply to this post. Together you guys can help me learn how to do this kind of programming. I appreciate the help. Thanks everyone - Matt

Your comment is actually rather rude. You are asking for source code and examples without taking the proper steps to understand what your doing. Operating system development is far more difficult than just C# programming. You need to understand the low level aspects of how computers function. And while I think it is rather brave for someone your age to undertake such a task: Asking for source code without pre-requites will get you no where. I seriously recommend that you take a moment and understand what your doing. Then begin reading, don't even write one line of source code until you have a basic understanding of the following: IRQ's, Paging, the i386 architecture, basic assembly language (i386), and how a CPU functions (Bus, ALU, etc..).

One last thing, look at your message to "SethiXzon": Its very childish, and yes you very well may be thirteen, but that does not excuse you from using proper manners and proper grammar. I am not here to bash you, just to point out some very basic beginner mistakes for future reference.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

May 27, 2011 at 12:22 PM

mterwood:  I agree with you one hundred percent. I was simply pointing out that he may not understand the daunting task he was undertaking. I myself have not even touched with writing COSMOS yet, rather I have been reading all the documentation I can find. That way I can understand your memory map, where the kernel is loaded, how to add plugins, etc.. So I just found it a tad rude that he would ask for "all the source code and examples I can get my hands on", when from my opinion he has not done the proper pre-requisites first to become an asset. Still I think it is a good thing that he joined the project.

Coordinator
May 27, 2011 at 1:57 PM
memory maps, etc are not at all important when working on most parts of cosmos. the only area having sme knowledge of that is the compiler stuff (including msbuild tasks) but even this is limited (may even be isolated to 1 or 2 locations)..

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 1:22 PM, blackfireize <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

mterwood: I agree with you one hundred percent. I was simply pointing out that he may not understand the daunting task he was undertaking. I myself have not even touched with writing COSMOS yet, rather I have been reading all the documentation I can find. That way I can understand your memory map, where the kernel is loaded, how to add plugins, etc.. So I just found it a tad rude that he would ask for "all the source code and examples I can get my hands on", when from my opinion he has not done the proper pre-requisites first to become an asset. Still I think it is a good thing that he joined the project.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jun 5, 2011 at 10:39 PM

http://superbyte.codeplex.com/

Coordinator
Jun 6, 2011 at 1:15 PM
superbyte wrote:

"Cosmos: A horribly programed open source project who hides things from their users."

What is hidden? It is best not to bash a project you are posting on.

Coordinator
Jun 6, 2011 at 1:18 PM
On 6/6/2011 8:15 AM, smremde wrote:
> *superbyte wrote:*
>
> http://superbyte.codeplex.com/
>
> "Cosmos: A horribly programed open source project who hides things from
> their users."
>
> What is hidden? It is best not to bash a project you are posting on.

Its open source and all source is published. If its "hidden", its not
really hidden, but instead you don't understand it.
Coordinator
Jun 6, 2011 at 1:19 PM
Why horribly programmed?

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 2:15 PM, smremde <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

superbyte wrote:

"Cosmos: A horribly programed open source project who hides things from their users."

What is hidden? It is best not to bash a project you are posting on.

Coordinator
Jun 6, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Just to clear up, that was a quote from http://superbyte.codeplex.com/ 

Coordinator
Jun 6, 2011 at 1:29 PM
Stephen, sorry for the stupid quoting of myself, but understood it was quoting from his site..

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 2:26 PM, smremde <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Just to clear up, that was a quote from http://superbyte.codeplex.com/

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:41 PM

it wasn't me who write that!