Filesystem? Please Read

Jun 5, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Hey guys, I was wondering how to use filesystems. I want to write a basic txt file and read the contents if that is at all possible. I found a code for IO.Ports but I dont know how to write or read a file. Any help is appreciated. Thanks - Matt 

Coordinator
Jun 5, 2011 at 9:10 AM
IO.Ports??

You mean the cosmos kernel IOPort* classes? gheh, that's for reading/writing from/to lowlevel IO ports, nothing related to filesystem..

On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 11:04 AM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hey guys, I was wondering how to use filesystems. I want to write a basic txt file and read the contents if that is at all possible. I found a code for IO.Ports but I dont know how to write or read a file. Any help is appreciated. Thanks - Matt

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jun 5, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Ok, but still how do I make a text file and then read the contents? Thanks - Matt

Coordinator
Jun 5, 2011 at 8:25 PM
what cosmos version are you using?
Jun 5, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Milestone4 Why?

Developer
Jun 5, 2011 at 11:28 PM

You are only able to read in Milestone 4, in the trunk version you can't even do that, but that is in the process of being fixed.

Jun 5, 2011 at 11:58 PM

Ok how do I read then?

Coordinator
Jun 6, 2011 at 6:23 AM
using System.IO.Directory.GetDirectories(string) and .GetFiles(string), and iirc System.IO.File.ReadAllBytes(string)

but keep in mind the disk can NOT be partitioned for this, also you need to format using ext2 (or ext3)

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 1:58 AM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Ok how do I read then?

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Thanks Guys!

Jun 6, 2011 at 4:39 PM

When will you guys get full filesystem support and the support to run linux programs? You guys could get more users. 

Coordinator
Jun 6, 2011 at 4:46 PM
On 6/6/2011 12:39 PM, civilwarrock wrote:
> When will you guys get full filesystem support and the support to run
> linux programs? You guys could get more users.

We will never be able to run Linux programs.
Jun 6, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Whys that? Your using a linux kernel, or based on a linux kernel, therefore you could run linux programs. But what about windows programs is there any possibility or running them too. Or are we going to have to make a new type of program. Personally making a new one would be cool. But you know. - Matt

Developer
Jun 6, 2011 at 11:20 PM

We are not using a linux based kernel, the bootloader is linux-based, but everything else has been made from scratch. I might be tempted to create an executable system once i am able to get the mouse working properly (and the filesystem as well), but until then, everything must be hard-coded in.

Coordinator
Jun 6, 2011 at 11:26 PM
> Whys that? Your using a linux kernel, or based on a linux kernel,
> therefore you could run linux programs. But what about windows programs
> is there any possibility or running them too. Or are we going to have to
> make a new type of program. Personally making a new one would be cool.

We are not using a Linux kernel.
Coordinator
Jun 7, 2011 at 6:39 AM
Even the bootloader isn't "based on linux", it just happens to be be called syslinux.....

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 1:26 AM, kudzu <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

> Whys that? Your using a linux kernel, or based on a linux kernel,
> therefore you could run linux programs. But what about windows programs
> is there any possibility or running them too. Or are we going to have to
> make a new type of program. Personally making a new one would be cool.

We are not using a Linux kernel.