Windows? How? blah38621 can you please help?

Jun 25, 2011 at 4:28 AM
Edited Jun 25, 2011 at 4:37 AM

Hey Cosmos. I think this will be my last discussion for a while. I am working really hard on my os right now (Hence the discussions). Anyway I had thought up some plans for how to make windows. I tried 3 different ways to accomplish them. But I could never quite make them the way I wanted or make the work for that matter =D. So I figured I would ask you nice folks. I think I saw someone do this once. But anyway, I want some kind of a way to make windows. I want them to have a name at the top, and a x button on the top right side. And I want to close them when it click it. Anyway and maybe a windows border would be nice too. So I want that. And I want to make it so that if I click the top border it will bring that window to front. And if needed send all others behind it. Not sure how to do that =D. But I also kind of want to have a way to make multiple windows and draw onto them (To make controls), still I have no idea on how to do this =D. And make them movable so if I click the border and move my mouse they will move. So I was wondering if anybody would be kind, witch you all are, and show me how to accomplish this. Thanks everybody and blah38621. Thanks - Matt

Developer
Jun 25, 2011 at 11:35 PM

I would suggest a shape-based drawing system, that will re-render (aka. re-draw the effected shapes) the window shape when it's moved. A system similar to this is what I'm going to be working on when I get back in 3 weeks. I had a partial setup for this working, but I forgot to hit the add button for the files, and they didn't get committed to the repository when i checked-in the large overhaul of the system, (btw, the reason i used a mathematically based color-set, is so it was possible to colorize to it, aka. convert a higher number of colors (such as the 32-bit system Orvid.Graphics now uses), to a lower number of colors. (such as the 256 colors that vga supports)), once I get back, I'll get those files committed to the repository, and continue moving to a better system. Hopefully the Trunk version will have the mouse fixed by then :P (then you'll have no reason not to move to the trunk version :P)

Jun 26, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Ok, thanks blah38621, I wrote a window code. Like you said, I used a shape system and it works. Hey if you dont mind could you email me your email address? I need to ask you a question not on the forums, cause it is quite complicated and I really need some help. So my Email Address is: civilwarrock@yahoo.com. Thanks blah38621. - Matt