Cosmos Self Dependancy

Developer
Aug 30, 2011 at 4:05 AM

It is to my understanding that Cosmos runs on the .Net Micro framework.  So possibly, once we have a file system, someone could (possibly) port IL2CPU and make a simple text editor and development tools, causing Cosmos to become self dependent, like Linux:  you must compile Linux on Linux.  Am I correct? Sounds like a plan to me ;)

Coordinator
Aug 30, 2011 at 8:02 AM
Not really true: Cosmos uses (currently) the MS .NET Framework 4.0 (normal framework) and compiles it to a native kernel. We have plans for using mono, but currently we are limited by resources, and have more important features to work on....

Being able to compile cosmos on a machine running cosmos will take a while to implement: needs full reflection etc....

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 5:05 AM, joshbeitler <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

It is to my understanding that Cosmos runs on the .Net Micro framework. So possibly, once we have a file system, someone could (possibly) port IL2CPU and make a simple text editor and development tools, causing Cosmos to become self dependent, like Linux: you must compile Linux on Linux. Am I correct? Sounds like a plan to me ;)

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Developer
Aug 30, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Oh, really?  I didn't know it used the full .net.  I understand that it would take a while, it just sounded like a cool idea.

Coordinator
Aug 31, 2011 at 12:56 AM
> Oh, really? I didn't know it used the full .net. I understand that it
> would take a while, it just sounded like a cool idea.

Yep. Its definitely in the plans, but because of prerequisites it is
quite a bit down the road.