Micro Framework's WPF interesting ?

Sep 12, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Hello!

I read somewhere that the .NET Micro Framework includes a simple WPF implementation.
For example, see in their sources, on:
\netmf\client_v4_1\Framework\TinyCore\Presentation

Since MF is open source (Apache licence), would it be feasible to take it as a base WPF implementation ?

Anyway, MF or not, it should be interesting to implement a standard GUI framework (WPF, WinForms or GTK#), in order to facilitate the programation of cross-platform applications. Isn't it ?
Just an opinion. :)

Coordinator
Sep 12, 2011 at 5:28 PM
We intend to implement winforms based on mono's implementation (midterm), and longterm some superset of silverlight, but these are just idea's. right now we're still working on basics (advanced debugger, compiler needs work, and then kernel structure and driver model). although UI is very interesting, there are other area's which are more important to the project, as we still focus towardds embedded systems/specialized vm's..

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 6:09 PM, chrisfr <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hello!

I read somewhere that the .NET Micro Framework includes a simple WPF implementation.
For example, see in their sources, on:
\netmf\client_v4_1\Framework\TinyCore\Presentation

Since MF is open source (Apache licence), would it be feasible to take it as a base WPF implementation ?

Anyway, MF or not, it should be interesting to implement a standard GUI framework (WPF, WinForms or GTK#), in order to facilitate the programation of cross-platform applications. Isn't it ?
Just an opinion. :)

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Developer
Sep 12, 2011 at 6:54 PM

@mterwood, your free to do what you want, but i'm implementing a gui system in the style of winforms, will be slightly more efficient, due to the way I do the actual drawing, but also more configurable, because I pull from properties for each color I use.

Sep 12, 2011 at 7:48 PM
Edited Sep 12, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Yes, it is clear there is a lot of work building a new O.S., and each person will find an interest in his own area.

I mentioned MF because I wonder if it could be an interesting source of code, or not, as Mono and Moonlight are.

For the GUI, I understand it is very exciting to create a new one from scratch, inventing new methods, exploring.
On the other side, later programmers will need IDE or RAD to create applications, which will be much easier with standardized interfaces.
Personaly, I guess WinForms is being replaced by WPF in many programmers' heart, but maybe I'm wrong.

Another interesting area is the driver model, as it is always a problem with new O.S., due to the multitude of peripherals.
I don't know much about drivers. Would it be possible to adopt some aspects of the Unix drivers, and facilitate their adaptation finally ?

Developer
Sep 12, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Actually, the way I'm doing it, it's very perfectly possible for me to pull in the VS component for WinForms designing (calling it, not copying it, as that could have legal issues :P), and just apply a final transform on the output code (to optimize it for my system).

Coordinator
Sep 13, 2011 at 8:05 AM
Blah: I never said anything individual users are or are not doing. But if you read our Mission statement (or whatever once could call it), we will initially target embedded or specialized operating systems..

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 9:50 PM, blah38621 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Actually, the way I'm doing it, it's very perfectly possible for me to pull in the VS component for WinForms designing (calling it, not copying it, as that could have legal issues :P), and just apply a final transform on the output code (to optimize it for my system).

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Developer
Sep 13, 2011 at 1:56 PM

@Mterwood: I know you didn't say anything about indivual users, that's the reason I made the post in the first place :P