This project is read-only.

Progress on ARM?

Dec 26, 2011 at 11:59 AM
Is there any Progress towards getting this to work with Arm? Coming out soon is the new £16 computer, raspberry pi (www.raspberrypi.org) which is capable of running Linux, it has integrated gpu and graphics capable of 1080p video! This would be an awesome platform to get cosmos running on. At the moment Linux dominates this area!
Dec 26, 2011 at 12:06 PM
We are definitely interested in the ARM platform, but we have limited resources. Our initial target is i386 platform, as it's a good platform to begin with, and has enough tooling (emulation/virtualization) to support us in the goal..

Our efforts for i386 (debugger, compiler, etc) will help us target different platforms in the future, but right now, we're in (desperate) need for some extra man-power.....

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 12:59 PM, danwalmsley <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Is there any Progress towards getting this to work with Arm? Coming out soon is the new £16 computer, raspberry pi (www.raspberrypi.org) which is capable of running Linux, it has integrated gpu and graphics capable of 1080p video! This would be an awesome platform to get cosmos running on. At the moment Linux dominates this area!

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:31 AM

I'm a little confused here. I thought you could run it on all the platforms. Can someone explain to me the difference between x86 and ARM and more importantly... why do we have to change the compiler for every platform?

Thanks in advance

--CMan332--

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:45 AM
> I'm a little confused here. I thought you could run it on all the
> platforms. Can someone explain to me the difference between x86 and ARM
> and more importantly... why do we have to change the compiler for every
> platform?

x86 and ARM are not compatible at all, so the compiler needs to create
output for different CPUs.
Dec 30, 2011 at 1:04 AM

Different ASM? Or just do the final compiling bit different? I might be thinking of x86 to x64 though,

Thanks!

--CMan332--

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:25 AM
> Different ASM? Or just do the final compiling bit different? I might be
> thinking of x86 to x64 though,

ARM is completely different. ARM is what most embedded things run.
Dec 30, 2011 at 1:32 AM

Oh. Right! Like my phone! Ha ha ha. I think ARM might be best left alone until we can get the current things working!

--CMan332--

Dec 30, 2011 at 7:56 AM
Which is what we (at least I..) think is best as well... Get next release out (which fixes current compiler issues and has a working asm debugger, which can then also be ported to arm)

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 2:33 AM, CMan332 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Oh. Right! Like my phone! Ha ha ha. I think ARM might be best left alone until we can get the current things working!

--CMan332--

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com