This project is read-only.

How to create a GUI in cosmos

Jan 29, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Hi,

I just wanted to know how to create GUI in cosmos.

Wich methods do i need ?

beacause cosmos.hardware.VGAscreen(); is that it ?

Thanks

Jan 29, 2012 at 5:43 PM
HD2HD wrote:

Hi,

Wich methods do i need ?

Thanks

Um yes you would use Cosmos.Hardware.VGAScreen. HD2HD if you would like a fully working GUI that has double buffer is is commented, look at pearos.codeplex.com under Core > Screen > ScreenHandler. That will show you a lot about the VGAScreen and how to use it correctly. Hope it helps - Matt

Jan 29, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Thanks !

Jan 29, 2012 at 5:48 PM
HD2HD wrote:

Thanks !

No problem. Thanks - Matt

Jan 29, 2012 at 7:43 PM
civilwarrock wrote:
HD2HD wrote:

Hi,

Wich methods do i need ?

Thanks

Um yes you would use Cosmos.Hardware.VGAScreen. HD2HD if you would like a fully working GUI that has double buffer is is commented, look at pearos.codeplex.com under Core > Screen > ScreenHandler. That will show you a lot about the VGAScreen and how to use it correctly. Hope it helps - Matt

About pearos i wanted to load it in Visual Studio 10 but it will not load correctly what version are you using ? 2008 ?

Jan 29, 2012 at 7:51 PM
HD2HD wrote:
civilwarrock wrote:
HD2HD wrote:

Hi,

Wich methods do i need ?

Thanks

About pearos i wanted to load it in Visual Studio 10 but it will not load correctly what version are you using ? 2008 ?

We are all using Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate, with the newest Cosmos source code, I recommend this one: 87661. That's the one I use, and it seems to be very stable. Hope it helps. - Matt

Jan 29, 2012 at 7:52 PM

hi,

an,other question;

I wan't to test my os to boot it from a dvd , how i do that ?

Wich files exactly do i have to put on the dvd ?

Jan 29, 2012 at 7:57 PM
HD2HD wrote:

hi,

an,other question;

I wan't to test my os to boot it from a dvd , how i do that ?

Wich files exactly do i have to put on the dvd ?

Ok here is a faster way of doing this. First select "Release" under visual studio instead of "Debug" then hit the green debug button. When it finishes VMWare will open. Just close it. Navigate to the Bin > Release folder in the Pear Source. Use that ISO here to do a usb boot: http://pearos.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Boot%20By%20usb&referringTitle=Home 

Now for a CD or DVD, just take the ISO and burn it to the disk, using software or explorer. And then boot to the Disk on your computer. Now depending on how new or old you machine is Pear should run with no problems, in some cases it doesn't like the old machines. So if you dont get a GUI you know it doesn't like your machine. Now you dont exactly have to do a USB or CD boot, you can just use VMWare, but we all recommend Live boot's because it really shows you how fast the OS really is, as VMWare only has 256 mb of Ram and tends to be slow. Hope it helps - Matt

Jan 29, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Thanks , for the help i will look into it

Jan 29, 2012 at 8:04 PM
HD2HD wrote:

Thanks , for the help i will look into it

No problem HD2HD, glad to help. - Matt

Jan 29, 2012 at 8:21 PM

i burnt the iso from my os "VORTEX"  with the boot.cat and mboot etc.. files onto an dvd restarted my pc,

comes up with only my 2 windows 7 in the boot loader , no my os.

Any idea ?

Jan 29, 2012 at 8:23 PM
Edited Jan 29, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Actually, we don't recommend live boots, because it's much much harder to debug the OS with a live boot, plus, with a live boot, if you did something wrong, you risk damaging the system your booting, where-as with a VM, you don't have to worry about any of that.

Jan 29, 2012 at 8:27 PM

@ civilwarrock

when i opened pear os and then selected "release" then green arrow and then i goto folder bin and i find no .iso.

@ blah38621

For live boot am i doing something wrong ?

Or is it not yet supported live boot ?

Jan 29, 2012 at 8:30 PM
blah38621 wrote:

Actually, we don't recommend live boots, because it's much much harder to debug the OS with a live boot, plus, with a live boot, if you did something wrong, you risk damaging the system your booting, where-as with a VM, you don't have to worry about any of that.

No no no, not you guys =), us at pear. We recommend them, as when we know the code is stable and you actually want to see what its like we recommend live boots. I should have been more clear. Now HD2HD, I think you might have done it wrong, open Explorer navigate to your blank disk, if its not make it blank, and just copy/paste the ISO right on the disk. Then take the disk and live boot, read what our pc says when you turn it on, it will say like boot menu f12 or f11 or f10, if it says setup thats not it. Hope it helps - Matt

P.S. I have been doing live boots with my Cosmos OS for a long time and it has crashed many times and its never damaged my pc, maybe i'm just lucky. =)

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:03 AM
HD2HD wrote:

@ civilwarrock

when i opened pear os and then selected "release" then green arrow and then i goto folder bin and i find no .iso.

@ blah38621

Or is it not yet supported live boot ?

the .ISO is in the appdata cosmos folder to go  there type in in run %appdata% then select cosmos user kit (if youre using the user kit im not sure about the Dev Kit) and then find Cosmos.ISO

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:04 AM
civilwarrock wrote:
blah38621 wrote:

No no no, not you guys =), us at pear. We recommend them, as when we know the code is stable and you actually want to see what its like we recommend live boots. I should have been more clear. Now HD2HD, I think you might have done it wrong, open Explorer navigate to your blank disk, if its not make it blank, and just copy/paste the ISO right on the disk. Then take the disk and live boot, read what our pc says when you turn it on, it will say like boot menu f12 or f11 or f10, if it says setup thats not it. Hope it helps - Matt

P.S. I have been doing live boots with my Cosmos OS for a long time and it has crashed many times and its never damaged my pc, maybe i'm just lucky. =)

how would you Install the OS to the machine?

Jul 20, 2012 at 7:33 PM

@ blah38621

Probably. Did you just copy and paste the .iso onto the drive? If so that is wrong. Find whats called an ISO burner first.

Also check your motherboard supports USB booting, has USB booting turned o. You also said your using a bootloader. You need to find what button opens the boot device menu on your PC. Often F2, F10, F12 or delete. It will show a list of hard drives and CD drives on the machine, select the USB stick. This will then search for a boot loader on the drive, if its not found your OS this means its gone straight onto your harddrive and found your windows boot loader.

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:28 AM
civilwarrock wrote:
HD2HD wrote: Hi, I just wanted to know how to create GUI in cosmos. Wich methods do i need ? beacause cosmos.hardware.VGAscreen(); is that it ? Thanks Um yes you would use Cosmos.Hardware.VGAScreen. HD2HD if you would like a fully working GUI that has double buffer is is commented, look at pearos.codeplex.com under Core > Screen > ScreenHandler. That will show you a lot about the VGAScreen and how to use it correctly. Hope it helps - Matt
Your project is not yet published or something
Mar 4, 2014 at 2:33 AM
You keep referencing pearos.codeplex.com and I tried to get to the link, but it says THIS PROJECT IS NOT YET PUBLISHED and "If you are a coordinator or developer on this project, please sign in to access the project." How would i be able to visit the webpage? Just wondering, I need help with developing my UI too. Thanks!!
Mar 4, 2014 at 9:40 AM
That was years ago, and doesn't represent the current state of Cosmos

Mar 10, 2014 at 3:12 AM
I would like to know what happened to the Pear OS as well, even though this thread is old.
Mar 10, 2014 at 8:32 AM
Creator went offline and took pearos down with him

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:58 PM
Nope.
Pearos is active, I have seen him on osdev last week.
You may wish to see the project archives on archive.org. ;)
Mar 14, 2014 at 5:09 PM
did it go commercial or something?