This project is read-only.

Exception Occured While Running Kernel, Exception: ATA Error

Feb 11, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Hey Cosmos! I decided to live boot my OS today, and I got this error, I have had it in the past, is there any way around this? We are not even using ATA in our OS at the moment, so I dont see why I got this error. Anyways, Thanks - Matt

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:33 AM
Tell us the error and we can shed some light...

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 8:53 PM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hey Cosmos! I decided to live boot my OS today, and I got this error, I have had it in the past, is there any way around this? We are not even using ATA in our OS at the moment, so I dont see why I got this error. Anyways, Thanks - Matt

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:21 PM
mterwoord wrote:
Tell us the error and we can shed some light...

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 8:53 PM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

The error is the title, I went to live boot and it printed that out. And we didn't even have anyway ATA code being executed, we disabled it for now. Thanks - Matt

Feb 13, 2012 at 9:56 PM

I'm receiving the same error when trying to create a vm in virtual box.

My script is:

vboxmanage unregistervm FirstCosmos --delete
vboxmanage createvm --name "FirstCosmos" --register --ostype "Other"
vboxmanage modifyvm FirstCosmos --memory 1024 --vram 16 --boot1 dvd --boot2 floppy --boot3 disk
vboxmanage createhd --filename FirstCosmos.vdi --size 10240
vboxmanage storagectl FirstCosmos --add ide --name "Storage Controller"
vboxmanage storageattach FirstCosmos --storagectl "Storage Controller" --port 0 --device 0 --type hdd --medium FirstCosmos.vdi
vboxmanage storageattach FirstCosmos --storagectl "Storage Controller" --port 0 --device 1 --type dvddrive --medium FirstCosmos\bin\Debug\FirstCosmosBoot.iso
vboxmanage startvm FirstCosmos

and the exact error given through virtualbox is:
Exception  occurred while running kernel:
Exception: ATA Error 

Feb 14, 2012 at 3:40 AM
gamerdudes wrote:

My script is:

vboxmanage modifyvm FirstCosmos --memory 1024 --vram 16 --boot1 dvd --boot2 floppy --boot3 disk
vboxmanage storageattach FirstCosmos --storagectl "Storage Controller" --port 0 --device 0 --type hdd --medium FirstCosmos.vdi
vboxmanage storageattach FirstCosmos --storagectl "Storage Controller" --port 0 --device 1 --type dvddrive --medium FirstCosmos\bin\Debug\FirstCosmosBoot.iso

Exception  occurred while running kernel:

I know, its a pain. I think its something with the Kernel trying to find a ATA device. I hope it gets fixed soon. Thanks - Matt

Feb 14, 2012 at 7:55 AM
Civilwarrock, using devkit you could debug it easily...

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 4:40 AM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

gamerdudes wrote:

My script is:

Exception occurred while running kernel:

I know, its a pain. I think its something with the Kernel trying to find a ATA device. I hope it gets fixed soon. Thanks - Matt

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:23 AM
mterwoord wrote:

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 4:40 AM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

gamerdudes wrote:

My script is:

No I CANT debug it easily, as I stated above I LIVE booted on my pc. And thats how I got that error, so if I set it to debug and burn that to my thumb drive, it wont work because it will just say... "Waiting for debugger connection..." so I have to use release =). The only person that might be able to do that is: gamerdudes Thanks - Matt

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:27 AM
you can debug easy where it uses ata even if you dont use it.

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:23 AM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

mterwoord wrote:

gamerdudes wrote:

My script is:

No I CANT debug it easily, as I stated above I LIVE booted on my pc. And thats how I got that error, so if I set it to debug and burn that to my thumb drive, it wont work because it will just say... "Waiting for debugger connection..." so I have to use release =). The only person that might be able to do that is: gamerdudes Thanks - Matt

Feb 14, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Challenge accepted haha

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Looks like its my vboxmanage script is incorrect, I don't think cosmos is the issue.

Feb 17, 2012 at 5:56 AM
gamerdudes wrote:

Looks like its my vboxmanage script is incorrect, I don't think cosmos is the issue.

Really? No it is, when I have no sine of ATA code in m Os and I boot it by doing a live boot and I get the error thats in the title, I know its a Cosmos problem. I dont know whats causing it, and I cant track it down, but I know for a fact its a Cosmos problem, I love Cosmos, but I know this is the Kernel that caused the error. Thanks

Feb 20, 2012 at 7:19 PM

When I checked the code, mostly with the intention of introducing a timeout to the ATA debugger connection process, it already exists (of course, I would have been astonished if it didn't). Moreover, when creating a vm "by hand", Cosmos loads correctly. As far as I'm able to determine (I have the logs if you're interested), there is a hard-drive issue with my vboxmanage script. You might not have any ATA code in your kernel, but as far as I can see, all cosmos compilations from an unmodified userkit include ATA code. Download the devkit and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Feb 20, 2012 at 8:21 PM
gamerdudes wrote:

When I checked the code, mostly with the intention of introducing a timeout to the ATA debugger connection process, it already exists (of course, I would have been astonished if it didn't). Moreover, when creating a vm "by hand", Cosmos loads correctly. As far as I'm able to determine (I have the logs if you're interested), there is a hard-drive issue with my vboxmanage script. You might not have any ATA code in your kernel, but as far as I can see, all cosmos compilations from an unmodified userkit include ATA code. Download the devkit and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Did you read what I said above? I didn't do a VMWare boot. I shutdown my PC, and plugged in my thumb drive and booted Cosmos. A live boot. Thats when I got the error, and I know I have a ATA drive in there. But if Cosmos couldn't use it for some reason or there was a problem it should of just skipped it, but instead it halts the system and displays that error. Thanks - Matt

Feb 21, 2012 at 7:39 AM
Is the ATA drive an SATA drive, configured to be available by AHCI instead of compatibility mode?

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 9:22 PM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

gamerdudes wrote:

Did you read what I said above? I didn't do a VMWare boot. I shutdown my PC, and plugged in my thumb drive and booted Cosmos. A live boot. Thats when I got the error, and I know I have a ATA drive in there. But if Cosmos couldn't use it for some reason or there was a problem it should of just skipped it, but instead it halts the system and displays that error. Thanks - Matt

Feb 21, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Right I'm implying exactly what mterwoord is implying here: that its a configuration issue, or maybe even a hardware issue. Not a bug. I understand that you did NOT do a VMWare, but it doesn't really make a difference. The same logic is being applied to the machines, whether they're physical or not. I know for a fact that however I configured my vm was what caused MY ATA error. You may be experiencing the same issue, or you may not. Again, (understanding you did a live boot) download the code and see for yourself. Maybe I missed something.

Feb 23, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Turns out that the configuration of my storage controller was incorrect in vboxmanage. Cosmos was unable to interface with any of the boot devices I was creating. Here is the correct script (thanks for the help mterwoord: 

vboxmanage modifyvm FirstCosmos --memory 1024 --vram 16 --boot1 dvd --boot2 disk
vboxmanage storagectl FirstCosmos --add ide --name "Storage Controller" --bootable on
vboxmanage storageattach FirstCosmos --storagectl "Storage Controller" --port 1 --device 1 --type dvddrive --medium FirstCosmos\bin\Debug\FirstCosmosBoot.iso