How To Make An Operating System

Feb 15, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Hi, I'm Just getting started with programming and I understand. I'm new to programming but would like to learn how to Make an operating system

and install games you use to play on x box and PlayStation 3 on it

However, I would like to know what books would you recommend for beginners to get started.

I want to program my own games as well into the OS and play them. Xbox,playstation3 would give you ideal of what I may like.

Right Now I'm reading Absolute Beginner's Guide To Java Programming  Bye JasonLim

I know i will be starting small and at the same time as a project while reading i can do this... hands on trainning at the same time.

Thanks!  :)

Developer
Feb 15, 2012 at 12:40 AM

The magic of Cosmos is you don't need to know all about pointrlers and stack allocs and crap! If you know c#, vb.net (or really any other .net language that compiles into no p/invokes), your good to go.

That being said, Cosmos will not run on Playstation or Xbox. I believe its in the plans to support platforms such as these, but its not our main focus now.

If you don't want to use Cosmos, osdev.net and osdever.net are excellent resources. But, in other platforms if development, to make an os is the pinnical of difficulty and requires mastery over your language. You also need to know at least some ASM. I would also suggest c++ over Java, but there are Java based OS's.

Hope that helps. - Josh

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:05 AM
spiderlucci wrote:

Hi, I'm Just getting started with programming and I understand. I'm new to programming but would like to learn how to Make an operating system

and install games you use to play on x box and PlayStation 3 on it

However, I would like to know what books would you recommend for beginners to get started.

I want to program my own games as well into the OS and play them. Xbox,playstation3 would give you ideal of what I may like.

Right Now I'm reading Absolute Beginner's Guide To Java Programming  Bye JasonLim

I know i will be starting small and at the same time as a project while reading i can do this... hands on trainning at the same time.

Thanks!  :)

Well welcome to Cosmos! I did write some tutorials, they a re a little outdated but may work for you. Or if you want to see a example of a Cosmos os your welcome to visit: pearos.codeplex.com 

Hope it helps - Matt

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:29 AM
Edited Feb 15, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Welcome to Cosmos! I've made some tutorials that might help you at http://cosmos-tutorials.webs.com and they work for the latest versions and include tutorials about file system and screen. Good luck, Aurora

By the way: Read something about C#, not Java!

Feb 18, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Im pretty sure the XBOX uses an x86 processor so theoretically you could run a cosmos OS , people run linux on xbox.

Feb 19, 2012 at 8:51 AM
GruntXProductions wrote:

Im pretty sure the XBOX uses an x86 processor so theoretically you could run a cosmos OS , people run linux on xbox.

It's actually a PowerPC processor, so we would need a port for that.

Feb 19, 2012 at 10:06 PM
360 uses PowerPC. Xbox 1 uses x86.