Creating an loading screen like windows

Feb 19, 2012 at 12:01 PM

How would one create an loading screen like the windows os ?

Feb 19, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Honestly, I'd hope you wouldn't need one, since Cosmos is very fast.

Feb 19, 2012 at 3:43 PM
Honestly if you need to ask that then you're not proficient enough to actually load anything for long enough to actually need a loading screen. If you want to be sure someone knows the thing is actually working on the off chance they're using a 1MHz or something, just use a static loading screen.

For an animated loading screen: The way you would do it is create a bool called Ready that's set to false, and an int called Loop = 0, then while Ready == false, draw the loading screen's [Loop]th frame, do whatever it is that is causing you to load in the first place, and, if you're done with that, set Ready = true. If not, check if Loop > the number of frames of your loading screen and, if so, set Loop = 0. Note that you're going to have to break up whatever you're doing into bite-sized chunks in order to get the screen to update.

For a static loading screen: Draw the loading screen once, then do your loading.
Feb 19, 2012 at 4:00 PM
EagleEyeSA wrote:
Honestly if you need to ask that then you're not proficient enough to actually load anything for long enough to actually need a loading screen. If you want to be sure someone knows the thing is actually working on the off chance they're using a 1MHz or something, just use a static loading screen.

For an animated loading screen: The way you would do it is create a bool called Ready that's set to false, and an int called Loop = 0, then while Ready == false, draw the loading screen's [Loop]th frame, do whatever it is that is causing you to load in the first place, and, if you're done with that, set Ready = true. If not, check if Loop > the number of frames of your loading screen and, if so, set Loop = 0. Note that you're going to have to break up whatever you're doing into bite-sized chunks in order to get the screen to update.

For a static loading screen: Draw the loading screen once, then do your loading.

Really, if you wanted one that loaded before the kernel loads it's stuff, which is what most people would want, you would have to modify the Cosmos source.

Feb 19, 2012 at 6:32 PM
HD2HD wrote:

How would one create an loading screen like the windows os ?

Simple, in the before run code start the VGAScreen initilize the mouse keyboard.... ect. Then make code to simulate or mimick the windows login screen. It will take a little bit of work, but it is possible. Hope it helps - Matt

Feb 19, 2012 at 6:37 PM

thanks for your answer matt !

Feb 19, 2012 at 8:42 PM
HD2HD wrote:

thanks for your answer matt !

No problem, glad to help. - Matt

Feb 20, 2012 at 7:42 AM
civilwarrock wrote:
HD2HD wrote:

How would one create an loading screen like the windows os ?

Simple, in the before run code start the VGAScreen initilize the mouse keyboard.... ect. Then make code to simulate or mimick the windows login screen. It will take a little bit of work, but it is possible. Hope it helps - Matt

Matt: Cosmos loads so quickly there would be no point, and when the BeforeRun is executed, all the proper loading has been done.

Feb 20, 2012 at 8:57 AM
Aurora01 wrote:
civilwarrock wrote:
HD2HD wrote:

How would one create an loading screen like the windows os ?

Simple, in the before run code start the VGAScreen initilize the mouse keyboard.... ect. Then make code to simulate or mimick the windows login screen. It will take a little bit of work, but it is possible. Hope it helps - Matt

Matt: Cosmos loads so quickly there would be no point, and when the BeforeRun is executed, all the proper loading has been done.

Hmm interesting I wouldn't say that. We have a loading screen and you actually see us load things. Like right now we load in six fonts. Then we do network setup ect... Thanks - Matt

Feb 20, 2012 at 9:07 AM
civilwarrock wrote:
Aurora01 wrote:
civilwarrock wrote:
HD2HD wrote:

How would one create an loading screen like the windows os ?

Simple, in the before run code start the VGAScreen initilize the mouse keyboard.... ect. Then make code to simulate or mimick the windows login screen. It will take a little bit of work, but it is possible. Hope it helps - Matt

Matt: Cosmos loads so quickly there would be no point, and when the BeforeRun is executed, all the proper loading has been done.

Hmm interesting I wouldn't say that. We have a loading screen and you actually see us load things. Like right now we load in six fonts. Then we do network setup ect... Thanks - Matt

Unless you are delaying the system on purpose, a loading screen would be quite useless

Developer
Feb 20, 2012 at 2:02 PM

You could display a loading screen if your os loads insane am mounts of variables and runs setup code. But aroura is right, its pointless.

On Feb 20, 2012 3:07 AM, "Aurora01" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

From: Aurora01

civilwarrock wrote:
Aurora01 wrote:
civilwarrock wrote:
HD2HD wrote:

How would one create an loading screen like the windows os ?

Simple, in the before run code start the VGAScreen initilize the mouse keyboard.... ect. Then make code to simulate or mimick the windows login screen. It will take a little bit of work, but it is possible. Hope it helps - Matt

Matt: Cosmos loads so quickly there would be no point, and when the BeforeRun is executed, all the proper loading has been done.

Hmm interesting I wouldn't say that. We have a loading screen and you actually see us load things. Like right now we load in six fonts. Then we do network setup ect... Thanks - Matt

Unless you are delaying the system on purpose, a loading screen would be quite useless

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Feb 20, 2012 at 2:05 PM

i'm sorry but i meant just intro image 

Developer
Feb 20, 2012 at 2:06 PM

As Matt said then, draw an image to screen, load stuff, clear screen and proceed to the rest of your os.

On Feb 20, 2012 8:05 AM, "HD2HD" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

From: HD2HD

i'm sorry but i meant just intro image

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com