Creating a Double Buffer

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:52 PM

I am making an OS with a GUI (using SVGA) and I'm wondering how i would create a Double Buffer. I've done it before, but i forgot how i did it.

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:53 AM
farlepet wrote:

I am making an OS with a GUI (using SVGA) and I'm wondering how i would create a Double Buffer. I've done it before, but i forgot how i did it.

You can but it will be too slow. And because of the way to Cosmos SVGA driver works, you will be stuck with flicker. So the solution is to look at my Cosmos SVGA driver in pearos.codeplex.com under > Core > Screen > Drviers and because of a mouse glitch you will need to use my custom mouse driver > Core > Mouse > Hardware. I wish I was a dev on Cosmos, I could fix so many bugs in drivers. Hope it helps - Matt

My method is a little slow at the moment, I have a update but I haven't had time to commit it,  but it will stop the flicker.

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:01 PM
civilwarrock wrote:
farlepet wrote:

You can but it will be too slow. And because of the way to Cosmos SVGA driver works, you will be stuck with flicker. So the solution is to look at my Cosmos SVGA driver in pearos.codeplex.com under > Core > Screen > Drviers and because of a mouse glitch you will need to use my custom mouse driver > Core > Mouse > Hardware. I wish I was a dev on Cosmos, I could fix so many bugs in drivers. Hope it helps - Matt

My method is a little slow at the moment, I have a update but I haven't had time to commit it,  but it will stop the flicker.

Hey, civilwarrock, I see you all over this site, how are you not a dev! you know so much about cosmos!

Mar 2, 2012 at 10:32 PM
idifyable wrote:
civilwarrock wrote:
farlepet wrote:

Hey, civilwarrock, I see you all over this site, how are you not a dev! you know so much about cosmos!

Thanks idifyable, I appreciate that. I sometimes ask myself that question, but the only problem for me at the moment is because my processor is special I cannot compile Cosmos, I can use it just not compile it, because one of the installers needs silverlight and silverlight is not supported on my processor. Bu thank you, I have spent a few years learning as much as I can and this is my passion. I love learning about the hardware are machines but not only that, helping others and working on my own operating system. Thanks - Matt

Mar 3, 2012 at 7:19 PM

What parts of that code is different than the original Cosmos code? I don't just want to copy the files or anything, so i could just use the different parts. 

Coordinator
Mar 4, 2012 at 8:08 AM
Civilwarrock: could you make a patch?

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 9:19 PM, farlepet <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

What parts of that code is different than the original Cosmos code? I don't just want to copy the files or anything, so i could just use the different parts.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Mar 5, 2012 at 3:47 PM
mterwoord wrote:

What parts of that code is different than the original Cosmos code? I don't just want to copy the files or anything, so i could just use the different parts.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Yeah I could. I can patch the mouse code, but I will have to think of a way to make it simpler. Because you will need to feed the mouse your screen dementions when you start your OS so the mouse code will know what the bounds are. But I can handle that. Sorry I did not get this message earlier. My email glitched so I didn't get notified and this got but to the bottom before I saw it. Let me know if you want me to patch anything else. Thanks mterwoord, - Matt

Coordinator
Mar 5, 2012 at 3:53 PM
i mean, can you send in a patch?

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 5:47 PM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

mterwoord wrote:

Yeah I could. I can patch the mouse code, but I will have to think of a way to make it simpler. Because you will need to feed the mouse your screen dementions when you start your OS so the mouse code will know what the bounds are. But I can handle that. Sorry I did not get this message earlier. My email glitched so I didn't get notified and this got but to the bottom before I saw it. Let me know if you want me to patch anything else. Thanks mterwoord, - Matt

Mar 5, 2012 at 3:55 PM
mterwoord wrote:
i mean, can you send in a patch?

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 5:47 PM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

mterwoord wrote:

Yeah I could. I can patch the mouse code, but I will have to think of a way to make it simpler. Because you will need to feed the mouse your screen dementions when you start your OS so the mouse code will know what the bounds are. But I can handle that. Sorry I did not get this message earlier. My email glitched so I didn't get notified and this got but to the bottom before I saw it. Let me know if you want me to patch anything else. Thanks mterwoord, - Matt

Can I send in a patch, hmm like email it to someone? I have never sent in a patch before. Please explain what the steps are to send in a patch. Thanks - Matt

Mar 5, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Click on source tab, and under the tab there will be a link called patches. Use that

Mar 5, 2012 at 3:59 PM
Aurora01 wrote:

Click on source tab, and under the tab there will be a link called patches. Use that

Thats what I thought. But thats called submit a patch, not send in a patch, I got confused =). Yes I will submit a patch for you guys, give me a day to touch up the driver and make it pretty, and then I will submit the patch. Thanks Aurora01 and mterwoord. - Matt

Mar 5, 2012 at 3:59 PM
civilwarrock wrote:
Aurora01 wrote:

Thats what I thought. But thats called submit a patch, not send in a patch, I got confused =). Yes I will submit a patch for you guys, give me a day to touch up the driver and make it pretty, and then I will submit the patch. Thanks Aurora01 and mterwoord. - Matt

Well, they are all words to the same effect :)

Mar 5, 2012 at 4:02 PM
Aurora01 wrote:
civilwarrock wrote:
Aurora01 wrote:

Exactly, just for some reason the way he worded it made me think it was something different. Oh well. A patch is a patch =). Thanks - Matt

Coordinator
Mar 5, 2012 at 4:28 PM
please note that there's a difference between sending a patches file(set) and the patch itself. do you have TortoiseGit or TortoiseSVN installed? those contain tools to make patches..

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 6:02 PM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Aurora01 wrote:
civilwarrock wrote:
Aurora01 wrote:

Exactly, just for some reason the way he worded it made me think it was something different. Oh well. A patch is a patch =). Thanks - Matt

Mar 5, 2012 at 11:14 PM
mterwoord wrote:
please note that there's a difference between sending a patches file(set) and the patch itself. do you have TortoiseGit or TortoiseSVN installed? those contain tools to make patches..

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 6:02 PM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Aurora01 wrote:
civilwarrock wrote:
Aurora01 wrote:

I use TortoiseSVN. Thanks - Matt 

Coordinator
Mar 6, 2012 at 6:59 AM
have a look at the TortoiseMerge and TortoiseDiff apps..

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 1:14 AM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

mterwoord wrote:

Aurora01 wrote:
civilwarrock wrote:
Aurora01 wrote:

I use TortoiseSVN. Thanks - Matt

Mar 7, 2012 at 12:40 AM

And another question, how should I store larger images, i made something to convert them into a uint array, but it takes a very, very long time to compile. Is there a better way to store them?

Mar 7, 2012 at 12:43 AM
farlepet wrote:

And another question, how should I store larger images, i made something to convert them into a uint array, but it takes a very, very long time to compile. Is there a better way to store them?

Well not unless we have FAT write and stuff like that. So probilly no. Yeah 32x3 and 64x64 is the max I go because anything higher doesn't compile. Thanks - Matt