How many images drawn to the screen can COSMOS handle when double buffered at VGA and SVGA resolution?

Mar 2, 2012 at 11:24 AM

The configuration of my hardware and virtual machines are not an issue; however, what is an advisable resolution to convert my images to, and what resolution should one realistically keep such at?

For instance, can a desktop be filled with a gradient background at SVGA resolution without slowing COSMOS with other objects already drawn and double buffered; or would one advise to add a loading screen until said object is drawn?

Developer
Mar 2, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I'm not quite sure what resolution it would seem slow at, but a linear gradient isn't too overly expensive to calculate. (if done correctly, it's nothing more than 3 divides total, as well as an addition for each pixel) If you want to draw a radial gradient however, then your getting into the more expensive calculations.

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:38 AM
It depends heavily on your processor and memory.
Mar 3, 2012 at 5:14 AM

I have a Core 2 Extreme and twenty gigabytes of RAM; though I don't target such systems as most do not have more than six to eight gigabytes of memory.

Mar 4, 2012 at 6:18 PM
Good point.
Mar 4, 2012 at 6:34 PM
EagleEyeSA wrote:
Good point.

Well heres my thoughts and experiences. It all comes down to how fast your code is, and weather or not it's coded efficiently. If your drawing code is super fast, then you can draw more images, if not then you wont be able to draw as many. Now it also depends on this. Are you overloading your CPU? Because in PearOs we found if you don't put a speed limiter on the OS you will be using a 100% of the CPU all the time making you lose some speed. So we came up with a solution. The throttle. We simply find how many lines of code can be ran per second, then we divide that by the frame rate which gives us the interval and then we simply update on every interval. Allowing us to manage FPS but also making it so between each interval the system has time to rest. This allows us to not use 100%. You might want to look into this. This allowed us to do more heavy graphics, loops ect... Hope it helps - Matt

But keep in mind you are running your os on windows. So while your testing your os windows is using your CPU too and that limits your RAM and CPU usage. I have found Cosmos to be amazingly fast on live boots. But until they get more graphics drivers, we cant live boot at a higher res and until all the ATA bugs are worked out. Because of right now you cant live boot a console because of them.