Install Cosmos on a real computer

Apr 11, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Is cosmos installable on a real computer?
I found some virtual system and some live system to run it, but not an installer for common hard disk.

And if is possible, what hardware Cosmos can support?
In particular, what network card it can use?

Developer
Apr 11, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Not installable per-say, but it can run on a real computer. (as you already said)
It probably won't be able to be installed on a real computer until we get both read & write FS support.

Currently Cosmos can run on i386 (not sure which version introduced SSE2 (or whichever set has the cvtsstsd family of instructions) off the top of my head) compatable PC's, however, due to an absence of GC, it is not currently practical for deployment and usage in a production environment.

Not really sure on the network card side, although you could probably find the name of it if you looked at the driver in the source repo.

Coordinator
Apr 11, 2012 at 1:44 PM
wild guess: RTL8139: a nic used in many machines a while back. common nowadays the RTL8169 (gigabit) is also very common.
Other option is the AMDPCNET driver, not sure though...

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 2:40 PM, blah38621 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Not installable per-say, but it can run on a real computer. (as you already said)
It probably won't be able to be installed on a real computer until we get both read & write FS support.

Currently Cosmos can run on i386 (not sure which version introduced SSE2 (or whichever set has the cvtsstsd family of instructions) off the top of my head) compatable PC's, however, due to an absence of GC, it is not currently practical for deployment and usage in a production environment.

Not really sure on the network card side, although you could probably find the name of it if you looked at the driver in the source repo.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com