This project is read-only.

I have a great way to get some new drivers....

May 17, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Hey Cosmos! I got to thinking, I may have the greatest free way to get open source drivers. Its simple, get them from the linux kernel itself! Download its source, and look. There is tons of graphic device drivers, audio, keyboard, mouse, battery. Everything you can imagine. I would port some from C to C#, but its a little past my knowledge at the moment, but might give you guys a quick and easy head start. Hope it helps - Matt

May 17, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Problem is significant part will be different due to different structure of cosmos, compared to Linux....

Op 17 mei 2012 08:59 schreef "civilwarrock" <notifications@codeplex.com> het volgende:

Hey Cosmos! I got to thinking, I may have the greatest free way to get open source drivers. Its simple, get them from the linux kernel itself! Download its source, and look. There is tons of graphic device drivers, audio, keyboard, mouse, battery. Everything you can imagine. I would port some from C to C#, but its a little past my knowledge at the moment, but might give you guys a quick and easy head start. Hope it helps - Matt

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

May 17, 2012 at 1:10 PM

And licensing issues?

Send from my Toaster

May 17, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Yes, there would be licensing issues. Most of Linux is GPL if I remember correctly, so we can't use that code for Cosmos. (even using it as reference material is sketchy)

May 17, 2012 at 3:11 PM
On 5/17/2012 9:49 AM, blah38621 wrote:
> Yes, there would be licensing issues. Most of Linux is GPL if I remember
> correctly, so we can't use that code for Cosmos. (even using it as
> reference material is sketchy)

FreeBSD. :)
May 17, 2012 at 11:37 PM
kudzu wrote:
On 5/17/2012 9:49 AM, blah38621 wrote:
> Yes, there would be licensing issues. Most of Linux is GPL if I remember
> correctly, so we can't use that code for Cosmos. (even using it as
> reference material is sketchy)

FreeBSD. :)

I looked in FreeBSD for drivers but sadly could not find any. Can someone please point me to where they are located? Thanks - Matt

May 17, 2012 at 11:38 PM
On 5/17/2012 6:37 PM, civilwarrock wrote:
> I looked in FreeBSD for drivers but sadly could not find any. Can
> someone please point me to where they are located? Thanks - Matt

Try the FreeBDS irc, Im sure it has drivers else it could not run...
May 18, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Most of FreeBSD's drivers are in the /sys/ directory, a concentration of which can be found in /sys/modules/. I'm not sure where the graphics drivers are, but as I've only looked for about 3 minutes, they shouldn't be too hard to find if you know where to look.

May 18, 2012 at 3:21 PM
blah38621 wrote:

Most of FreeBSD's drivers are in the /sys/ directory, a concentration of which can be found in /sys/modules/. I'm not sure where the graphics drivers are, but as I've only looked for about 3 minutes, they shouldn't be too hard to find if you know where to look.

I found them, sys/dev/fb there is the VGE and VESA. My os is doing pretty good, its fast. Simple, but the only thing that is holding me back is drivers. I cant find drivers that can easily be ported to C# or will work without using a bios. And the fact that the programming language we use in Pear to make apps isn't going to cut it I am afraid. So is there anyway to execute x86 code on the processor? Or is there a open source engine in C# that runs basic code? Thanks - Matt

May 18, 2012 at 11:01 PM
Why doesnt Zcode cut it?

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 8:21 AM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

blah38621 wrote:

I found them, sys/dev/fb there is the VGE and VESA. My os is doing pretty good, its fast. Simple, but the only thing that is holding me back is drivers. I cant find drivers that can easily be ported to C# or will work without using a bios. And the fact that the programming language we use in Pear to make apps isn't going to cut it I am afraid. So is there anyway to execute x86 code on the processor? Or is there a open source engine in C# that runs basic code? Thanks - Matt

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

--

Joshua Beitler, Le Boss Man

joshbeitler.tumblr.com | +joshbeitler

May 19, 2012 at 12:14 AM
joshbeitler wrote:
Why doesnt Zcode cut it?

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 8:21 AM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

blah38621 wrote:

--
Joshua Beitler, Le Boss Man
joshbeitler.tumblr.com | +joshbeitler

Well in most languages you can make a class, and then create new instances of it. Then call subs or change the values of items in that class. You cant do that in ZCode4. I have thought of ways of doing this, but none have worked sadly. I can program win forms, and graphic kits. But I have also had trouble making my own programming language thats even as good as Basic. - Matt

May 19, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Perhaps you should go about it a different way than you currently are, compile the ZCode into IL before you compile the OS, and that will allow you to leverage the .net VM in the language.

May 19, 2012 at 1:08 AM
blah38621 wrote:

Perhaps you should go about it a different way than you currently are, compile the ZCode into IL before you compile the OS, and that will allow you to leverage the .net VM in the language.

Compiling ZCode into IL..... Interesting Idea. But the only problem with ZCode, isn't that it doesn't run nice, it does. Its just that, lets look at a example. Ok so have you seen projects where they write entire game engines in C#? Or maybe an Operating System? See that possibilitys are endless. The problem I face with ZCode is that its either, "Goto", "Add", "Sub", "Multi", "Div", "Move"... ect, there is no way to create a class, then create a new instance of that. I need a language written in C# that is doesn't compile down to IL, but instead C# runs the programs, no external dll's. This way I can create complex applications for my OS. Otherwise, every app would have to be pre-programmed in C#, which is something I do not want to do.

Now Orvid, you mentioned converting ZCode to IL. How would that kind of work? Or help this case? Cause if you compile ZCode to IL, dont you have to somehow to it into the os?... Sorry not quite following. And could you in the future run that pre-compiled ZCode app? Like lets say you download it from a site? Thanks - Matt

May 19, 2012 at 4:27 AM
You could try implementing CLR support using Mono as a basis. It'd probably be really hard and/or annoying to do, though. On the bright side, there'd be a decent amount of applications that work out-the-box.
May 19, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Civil: Look into the System.Reflection.Emit API, and keep in mind that Cosmos eventually intends to JIT code rather than AOT compile it. (if you know how, it's actually possible to write an entire JIT from C# (minus a tiny stub in IL) and have it run with no issues in Cosmos, provided you implement a single instruction, but I'll leave it to you to figure out which one that is :P )

May 20, 2012 at 9:53 AM
Blah: We intend to have a JIT engine at some point, but most will still be AOT, to get the greatest performance gain..

Regarding drivers: Porting them will never be easy, as our kernel model (and isolation) is completely different. So best thing to do is to make documentation of how things work for a given hardware device, and then implement that..