Cosmos on a floppy disk?

May 21, 2012 at 9:59 AM
Can Cosmos run from a floppy disk? I ask because I'm porting over a small game to C# that's under a megabyte, and I can't test it out because I don't have any spare floppies in the house. Is there any difference between booting from a harddrive, a CD, a floppy, or any other storage medium?
Coordinator
May 21, 2012 at 10:03 AM
I think cosmos might currently require too much storage space..

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 11:59 AM, EagleEyeSA <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Can Cosmos run from a floppy disk? I ask because I'm porting over a small game to C# that's under a megabyte, and I can't test it out because I don't have any spare floppies in the house. Is there any difference between booting from a harddrive, a CD, a floppy, or any other storage medium?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

May 21, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Okay. Thank you. :)
Developer
May 21, 2012 at 1:00 PM

mterwoord: Actually, when you build in release mode, the compiled iso is surprisingly small, and could be smaller if you were to strip the symbols, (minus the entrypoint) I already strip most of the symbols that aren't referenced when you build in release mode. Taking all of that into account, provided the final size is < 1.44mb, (most likely would have to manually strip most of the symbols) you could potentially boot Cosmos from a floppy.

Coordinator
May 21, 2012 at 1:27 PM
On 5/21/2012 9:00 AM, blah38621 wrote:
> mterwoord: Actually, when you build in release mode, the compiled iso is
> surprisingly small, and could be smaller if you were to strip the
> symbols, (minus the entrypoint) I already strip most of the symbols that
> aren't referenced when you build in release mode. Taking all of that
> into account, provided the final size is < 1.44mb, (most likely would
> have to manually strip most of the symbols) you could potentially boot
> Cosmos from a floppy.

Just use a USB flash drive instead. Floppies are ancient.
Developer
May 21, 2012 at 4:48 PM

I know they're ancient, but that doesn't mean they're not easier to boot from than a usb drive :P (I still have a set of flopies, and 2 out of my 4 computers can read those flopies :P)

Even that though, a flash drive is probably easier to work with :P

Coordinator
May 21, 2012 at 4:54 PM
easier to boot?? stick it in and boot? or you have a weird bios somehow..

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 6:49 PM, blah38621 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I know they're ancient, but that doesn't mean they're not easier to boot from than a usb drive :P (I still have a set of flopies, and 2 out of my 4 computers can read those flopies :P)

Even that though, a flash drive is probably easier to work with :P

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
May 21, 2012 at 5:03 PM
On 5/21/2012 12:49 PM, blah38621 wrote:
> I know they're ancient, but that doesn't mean they're not easier to boot
> from than a usb drive :P (I still have a set of flopies, and 2 out of my

Just about any PC from the last 5 years will boot a USB drive.
May 21, 2012 at 7:04 PM
kudzu wrote:

I have one thats 7 years, and it boots from a USB. =). But it also depends on the bios as well. I would personally recommend USB. And your game wont work sadly, did you know that right now if you using the anything past commit like 6000 you cant USB boot? I mean it works, but it cuts out because of FAT32 support, the kernel trys to find a hard drive, and then crashes. And you can't really get around it. Correct me if Im wrong. Anyway, although I must say, I am impressed with the graphical speed I am getting in my os using VMWare on a crappy computer using Cosmos. This means Cosmos is fast! I believe Kudzu or someone else was saying it was slow, now I must admit compiling is slow, but it seems that all in all, Cosmos is fast. - Matt

May 21, 2012 at 7:06 PM
EagleEyeSA wrote:

There is no difference that I have noticed. I have used CD and USB. And there is no difference. Floppy, should be the same. However I do know that there are some floppy that are 5mb, and 30mb. If you would like to boot by USB, read this. Hope it helps - Matt

Coordinator
May 21, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Civilwarrock: are still cheating the run time speed by always using release mode? If so you lose debugger support....

Op 21 mei 2012 21:04 schreef "civilwarrock" <notifications@codeplex.com> het volgende:

kudzu wrote:

I have one thats 7 years, and it boots from a USB. =). But it also depends on the bios as well. I would personally recommend USB. And your game wont work sadly, did you know that right now if you using the anything past commit like 6000 you cant USB boot? I mean it works, but it cuts out because of FAT32 support, the kernel trys to find a hard drive, and then crashes. And you can't really get around it. Correct me if Im wrong. Anyway, although I must say, I am impressed with the graphical speed I am getting in my os using VMWare on a crappy computer using Cosmos. This means Cosmos is fast! I believe Kudzu or someone else was saying it was slow, now I must admit compiling is slow, but it seems that all in all, Cosmos is fast. - Matt

Developer
May 22, 2012 at 12:43 PM

There are still other methods to debug, I've been debugging via console logging, or, in this case, serial port logs, for quite a while now, the in-VS debugging only has limited helpfulness. For instance, it can't tell you the values that variables used to be. Also, the Cosmos debugger still has a few issues getting the correct values at certain times, if I remember correctly, it's at the point where the debugger stopped responding to breakpoint requests before.

Also, perhaps we should embed the user dll's (the ones for the OS, we can load the Cosmos ones manually as needed, because they can be located at any arbitrary location) so that we can get full field information, as well as member information. We could then pass the field information into a caching version of the field layout mechanism, so that we can get the offsets of the values. This could allow me to fix the issues with field display in the debugger much easier.

Coordinator
May 22, 2012 at 12:48 PM
most of the debug info you mention is either already in the cxdb, or is reasonably easy to do, but we need more people testing the debugger, and telling "if i do X, and Y, Z happens, while i except something else"...

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 2:43 PM, blah38621 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

There are still other methods to debug, I've been debugging via console logging, or, in this case, serial port logs, for quite a while now, the in-VS debugging only has limited helpfulness. For instance, it can't tell you the values that variables used to be. Also, the Cosmos debugger still has a few issues getting the correct values at certain times, if I remember correctly, it's at the point where the debugger stopped responding to breakpoint requests before.

Also, perhaps we should embed the user dll's (the ones for the OS, we can load the Cosmos ones manually as needed, because they can be located at any arbitrary location) so that we can get full field information, as well as member information. We could then pass the field information into a caching version of the field layout mechanism, so that we can get the offsets of the values. This could allow me to fix the issues with field display in the debugger much easier.