Give me all help that I need please, I don't want to stop because it's too hard I want to learn.

Jun 3, 2012 at 3:58 AM

Well I'm extremely new to C# coding, I've worked will cosmos in its earlier stages, editing the program.cs while still maintaining a TUI. I did have a scroll feature in which you could press Enter, and more information about it would be displayed. That's the farthest I've gone..

Now I want to try the new release, and I don't know where to start. I am getting C# 2010 Non express, because for some reason it doesn't work with it. But anyway, I know I'd be jumping to conclusions, But what would it take to create a GUI of any? What codes would be needed? What would I have to be using in order for these codes to work? I've asked this many times to people and they told me it would be hard, and that's it, No real information. I am 16, and I want to learn this while I still can, hoping to someday use it as my career. Either way I realize that I'm using kindergarten words to ask this, but please. Give some help to a newbie that wants to try new things. 

Developer
Jun 3, 2012 at 4:04 AM

Well, I salute you for not being a noob. Try checking pearos.codeplex.com, as well as orvids graphics tests in the code. Specifically, you want yo use the vgascreen class.

Send from my Toaster

On Jun 2, 2012 8:58 PM, "tjwehler" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Well I'm extremely new to C# coding, I've worked will cosmos in its earlier stages, editing the program.cs while still maintaining a TUI. I did have a scroll feature in which you could press Enter, and more information about it would be displayed. That's the farthest I've gone..

Now I want to try the new release, and I don't know where to start. I am getting C# 2010 Non express, because for some reason it doesn't work with it. But anyway, I know I'd be jumping to conclusions, But what would it take to create a GUI of any? What codes would be needed? What would I have to be using in order for these codes to work? I've asked this many times to people and they told me it would be hard, and that's it, No real information. I am 16, and I want to learn this while I still can, hoping to someday use it as my career. Either way I realize that I'm using kindergarten words to ask this, but please. Give some help to a newbie that wants to try new things.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jun 3, 2012 at 4:07 AM

I've read up on the VGAScreen class, but I imagine it allows you to actually build the GUI, I didn't know if it was in the new release or not, I just know it was taken out for some reason. But thank you, I will go look more on pearOS.

Developer
Jun 3, 2012 at 1:33 PM

I believe it works with the current release.

Send from my Toaster

On Jun 2, 2012 9:07 PM, "tjwehler" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I've read up on the VGAScreen class, but I imagine it allows you to actually build the GUI, I didn't know if it was in the new release or not, I just know it was taken out for some reason. But thank you, I will go look more on pearOS.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jun 3, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I don't know, I've been at it all night, So far I have a stable GUI with a Desktop and a non functional start bar. I'm using Milestone 3. It's working pretty good, But I could use a little more help, if you know if this is possible or not? Can you add text into VGAScreen? Sort of like a "Console.writeline"? Because I'd like do add some sort of trademark. or Build number. I have one more question, I would like to boot up so it says "Loading ExampleOS" But anytime I put console.writeline before VGAScreen, it automatically goes to VGAScreen. Example:

//Not entire code, just the part I need help with.

Console.WriteLine("Booting up");
            Console.WriteLine("Now Starting OS...");

//-------This is the area I have a problem with.-------------

var xBoot = new Cosmos.Sys.Boot();
            xBoot.Execute();
            Mouse2.Initialize();
            VGAScreen.SetMode320x200x8();
            VGAScreen.SetPaletteEntry(0, 63, 63, 63);

I need something to split both the VGAScreen and the console.Writeline, but I don't know. I can't use Console.readkey because it errors out on me and won't work.

So if Someone can come up with a solution to both of these it'd be great.

Developer
Jun 3, 2012 at 6:14 PM

First thing you'll want to do is get the devkit setup and installed, I'm always on the irc if you need help with that, because Milestone 3 is very, very old :P