Implementing FAT File System into Older Cosmos Build

Jun 4, 2012 at 11:52 PM

We are currently using an older build of Cosmos, We prefer to use it because it's easier to understand and better to learn from. Now that we want to implement file reading and writing, we came to the issue of the VGAScreen FAT File System. We realized that we needed this in order for the OS to read and write Files onto the Screen. But, because we are using an older build of the Cosmos OS, we would like to figure out how to implement the FAT File System into our build WITHOUT updating. If there is a way to do this, that would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:02 AM

No matter what build you use you will have to write drivers and a wrapper around the Cosmos Filesystem...

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Any suggestions as to where or how to write the drivers and the wrapper?

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Erm.... I would look into Serial Port Communication as that's how you would work with the harddrive... I can show you some samples for FAT32 reading and writing

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Anything would help! Thank you

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Actually im releasing a *.dll tomorrow containing graphics drivers and HD Access..

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Ok, that's really the main thing that we need, we need our OS to access files and be able to open them. The problem we are having is opening and reading the files. Basically speaking that our OS does not recognize the file so it has trouble opening it. Thus we need a way or a code that will read Files and Open them into our Window Container that we have set

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Would you like to test it?

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:35 AM

I would, but unfortunatley it's not exactly what we are looking for. We need a Read and Write system that will have the ability to Open Files into our OS. This is a major improvement that we are working on and if we can find any solution that would be great.

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Will the *.dll you will be able to open files and read from them in your os....

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Ok, let me give it a shot real quick.

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Wait, how would we use it though? Would we have to write it so that the Kernel would access the .DLL file? Otherwise this is literally non-helpful.

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:54 AM

OK, Now I am with him on this. I would like to know, is this a step closer to making a terminal type application in our OS, and or any type of application (Notepad for example) I'd like to know this. (I am lead coder on the TrasonOS project, Basically I'M the one who does everything besides the research and design)

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:54 AM

... To write a file its ExterrMos.System.IO.Directory.Addfile("filename");

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:55 AM

To read a file its ExterrMos.System.IO.Directory.GetFileByName("filename").ReadAllBytes();

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Tjwehler will get back with you in a second, he is testing to see if it works

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Umm i didn't give him the *.dll yet...

Jun 5, 2012 at 1:06 AM

When can I get this .dll if it can be anytime soon i'd be greatful, this is a ... well let's say it's been difficult considering we're extremely new with this, let alone are we not able to explain a lot of the things to ask questions on here. And sometimes people answer with.. well a little too hard of a language to actually understand.. If you'd like to see our source code, you may. It is located here https://trasonos.codeplex.com/SourceControl/list/changesets

You can also try that release here: https://trasonos.codeplex.com/releases/view/88975

Please if you could send that .dll to me, it'd be great

tristanwehler@ymail.com 

my email 

Jun 5, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Haha here you go: http://www.mediafire.com/?u6q1mnhq1nv80jv

Now its documented in the *.dll.. Reference it in your main project then call like ExterrMos.System.IO.Helper... and you will see methods for file Access.. I will write a Tut for it later.

Jun 5, 2012 at 1:34 AM
Edited Jun 5, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Whenever I try to reference it, it comes up and says "Warning 2 The referenced component 'ExterrMos' could not be found. " ? I didn't move it, I referenced it from the spot it still sits at. What went wrong?

Jun 5, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Erm i need the full source. One that i can download and compile without any work...

Jun 5, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Here's the source of our Latest build. Nothing should error: https://trasonos.codeplex.com/downloads/get/386305

Jun 5, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Do you mind if i convert your project to the latest Cosmos... its Way better and simpler then you think.. It will be able to do everything the old one did..

Jun 5, 2012 at 1:57 AM

If you can send the new one to me, I'd love to, people have been telling me to update, but I just didn't know how to convert properly.