Has anyone gotten this far?

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:38 PM
Has anyone gotten as far to having internet access and a working browser on their OS? Or is it too much for cosmos to handle?
Developer
Jun 5, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Right now I believe we have basic UDP packet send/receive.

Send from my Toaster

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:54 PM

A browser is a whole other monster so I'd imagine this question is a bit early. Even once the networking is in place there is all the html rendering and things like that.  I'll be pleasantly surprised if I get my current trial of cosmos to even communicate with my network hardware and be able to ping a site. I like speculating about the future though so hopefully more experienced developers can elaborate for us.

Developer
Jun 6, 2012 at 12:03 AM

A browser is much more than you realize, to create a browser in Cosmos would, firstly require a working font rendering system (I have a TrueType hinter and rasterizer I'm currently working on, already is the fastest by far for a few reasons, won't say what those are though :P). Then it would require a UI system (I have one in the works, it's not designed for Cosmos though, as it has heavy interface use as well as heavy threading usage), then you need a HTML rendering engine written in C# (there are a couple of static-content ones out there), then you would need a javascript interpreter, again written in C#, then there are a few other things deeper down such as encoding support & detection..  After you have all that, your still missing a crucial piece of the puzzle, memory management, because you'd run out of memory quite fast in the current Cosmos build if you tried to do all of this :P