Creating a sort of setup like windows first install setup (?)

Jun 6, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Hi,

 

i was just wondering is it possible to make a first installation setup like when you bought the newest version of windows , you put the dvd in the tray and it says "press any key to start setup..." and then it guides you trough the setup and extract the files to the harddrive.

Is this a minor (simple) live DVD bootable operating system that justs extrract the necessary files for the REAL os ?

 

Kind Regards,

HD2HD (back from a long time)

Coordinator
Jun 6, 2012 at 9:21 PM
On 6/6/2012 3:47 PM, HD2HD wrote:
> i was just wondering is it possible to make a first installation setup
> like when you bought the newest version of windows , you put the dvd in
> the tray and it says "press any key to start setup..." and then it
> guides you trough the setup and extract the files to the harddrive.
>
> Is this a minor (simple) live DVD bootable operating system that justs
> extrract the necessary files for the REAL os ?

Sure, but who will do it and who will maintain it?
Jun 7, 2012 at 11:09 AM

i think i'm going to make a simple one first in the next few weeks, to try it.

And if it works i'm going to polish it and give out the source code so anyone can use it in their own projects.

 

Kind Regards,

HD2HD

Jun 7, 2012 at 4:08 PM

one more question , 

can i use .net functions in the cosmos setup os ?

like system.io etc ??

 

thanks

Coordinator
Jun 7, 2012 at 4:09 PM
On 6/7/2012 11:08 AM, HD2HD wrote:
> can i use .net functions in the cosmos setup os ?
>
> like system.io etc ??

Where will the code run?
Jun 7, 2012 at 7:33 PM

It will be run on a live dvd or cd.

When you put the cd in the tray you get the message "press any key to continue setup..." and the setup os will start.

I don't think i will be able to use this , unless the .dll files of the .net framework are on the dvd/cd ?? --> am i correct ?

Coordinator
Jun 7, 2012 at 7:34 PM
On 6/7/2012 2:33 PM, HD2HD wrote:
> It will be run on a live dvd or cd.
>
> When you put the cd in the tray you get the message "press any key to
> continue setup..." and the setup os will start.
>
> I don't think i will be able to use this , unless the .dll files of the
> .net framework are on the dvd/cd ?? --> am i correct ?

Correct... Cosmos isnt quite there yet for this type of setup... a few
more months at best.
Jun 7, 2012 at 7:44 PM

ok thanks for the information , now i know i would better wait a few more months , and spend time polishing m y os.

 

Kind Regards,

HD2HD

Coordinator
Jun 7, 2012 at 7:56 PM
On 6/7/2012 2:44 PM, HD2HD wrote:
> ok thanks for the information , now i know i would better wait a few
> more months , and spend time polishing m y os.

Or you could help us with many of the smaller tasks we have pending . :)
Jun 7, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Yes maybe, but i'am now gaining more information about c# as i'm not that very good at it.

I started out with VisualBasic .net now i know alot of it, and i always know my way in it if i want to achieve something.

C# is not that really implemented in my head already.

I will see if i can join your group.

(BTW: how do i join ?)

 

Kind Regards,

HD2HD

Coordinator
Jun 7, 2012 at 8:07 PM
On 6/7/2012 3:05 PM, HD2HD wrote:
> From: HD2HD
>
> Yes maybe, but i'am now gaining more information about c# as i'm not
> that very good at it.
>
> I started out with VisualBasic .net now i know alot of it, and i always
> know my way in it if i want to achieve something.
>
> C# is not that really implemented in my head already.
>
> I will see if i can join your group.
>
> (BTW: how do i join ?)

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Cosmos-Dev/
Jun 7, 2012 at 9:50 PM

I am making an installer with .net discutils, but am having problems with bootcode, and stuff like that. Could anyone help?

Jun 8, 2012 at 7:20 PM

using .net framework isn't a good idea in this case , because the .net files are not incorporated on the boot code.

(mentioned in the previous posts)

May i ask where exactly your problem lies ,

 

Kind Regfards,

HD2HD

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:59 AM

When I run it, it works fine, and copies the correct files, but the .vdi will not boot. I read the boot code of the .iso, and it is there, but you cannot set the partitions boot code.