This project is read-only.

Hard drive code! Anyone want to share it?

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:13 PM
Edited Jun 20, 2012 at 6:14 AM

I am in need of some working Read/Write FAT32 Driver code.... I have heard it exists. Is there someone that would not mind sharing it with me? Thanks - Matt

Jun 20, 2012 at 7:54 AM
We have FAT reading and writing almost working: Come join our development so we can speed things up and finish it..

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 12:13 AM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Ok, I am going to be doing some massive code changes in my OS. And one thing I would really start to work with is the Hard Drive, that means Reading/Writting ect... Can someone please share with me their working Hard Drive Driver, as I have shared with you all of my drivers, code. Thanks in advance - Matt =)

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jun 20, 2012 at 6:37 PM
mterwoord wrote:
We have FAT reading and writing almost working: Come join our development so we can speed things up and finish it..

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 12:13 AM, civilwarrock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Ok, I am going to be doing some massive code changes in my OS. And one thing I would really start to work with is the Hard Drive, that means Reading/Writting ect... Can someone please share with me their working Hard Drive Driver, as I have shared with you all of my drivers, code. Thanks in advance - Matt =)

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Yeah, I know reading is working. But the problem is I have issues finding open source drivers so that I can port them to Cosmos. Do you guys know of a place where you can get open source drivers that I can port to Cosmos? Thanks.

Jun 20, 2012 at 6:37 PM
mterwoord wrote:

Yeah, I know reading is working. But the problem is I have issues finding open source drivers so that I can port them to Cosmos. Do you guys know of a place where you can get open source drivers that I can port to Cosmos? Thanks.

Jun 20, 2012 at 10:32 PM

You can look at Linux....

Problem is that cosmos is too different. It needs you to deeply understand how the hardware works before you can implement a driver for a given platform...

Op 20 jun. 2012 19:37 schreef "civilwarrock" <notifications@codeplex.com> het volgende:

mterwoord wrote:

Jul 4, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Hey

I'm very sorry I told u before that I have the code and I will upload it but my internet connection broke for nearly a month.

I think I will upload it today but lately because I'm busy.

I will upload the *,cs files on my SkyDrive and  I will give u the links.

Sorry again for being late :)

Jul 4, 2012 at 6:05 PM
ahmed01000410657 wrote:

Hey

I'm very sorry I told u before that I have the code and I will upload it but my internet connection broke for nearly a month.

I think I will upload it today but lately because I'm busy.

I will upload the *,cs files on my SkyDrive and  I will give u the links.

Sorry again for being late :)

I understand. Thanks - Matt

Jul 4, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Tsk tsk tsk , always relying on other peoples code. Why don't you learn how FAT works and write your own drivers? It is possible because Grunty OS has a filesystem with full read/write and I didn't copy anyones code or even look up anything.

Jul 4, 2012 at 6:47 PM
We almost have FAT working in cosmos. if just some people would step up to help us.....

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 7:45 PM, GruntXProductions <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Tsk tsk tsk , always relying on other peoples code. Why don't you learn how FAT works and write your own drivers? It is possible because Grunty OS has a filesystem with full read/write and I didn't copy anyones code or even look up anything.

Jul 4, 2012 at 6:58 PM

I would help but I don't know anything about the FAT structure and how exactly it data is stored (Well I get that there is a File allocation table with the names , lengths and addresses of files , but I dont know how these are arranged , and what data types are used ect)

Jul 4, 2012 at 6:59 PM
I didn't say we only needed some help on FAT. In fact, there are quite a number of tasks to be done which dont require you to have knowledge of anything but a bit of C#..

If you're interested in joining, please join the mailinglist (yahoo)..

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 7:58 PM, GruntXProductions <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I would help but I don't know anything about the FAT structure and how exactly it data is stored (Well I get that there is a File allocation table with the names , lengths and addresses of files , but I dont know how these are arranged , and what data types are used ect)

Jul 4, 2012 at 7:38 PM
mterwoord wrote:
We almost have FAT working in cosmos. if just some people would step up to help us.....

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 7:45 PM, GruntXProductions <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

mterwoord, Ill see if I can help some this Summer, as I will have more free time. What currently needs to be worked on besides FAT, Thanks - Matt

Jul 4, 2012 at 7:53 PM

First step is joining the mailinglist (yahoo)...

Op 4 jul. 2012 20:38 schreef "civilwarrock" <notifications@codeplex.com> het volgende:

mterwoord wrote:

mterwoord, Ill see if I can help some this Summer, as I will have more free time. What currently needs to be worked on besides FAT, Thanks - Matt

Jul 4, 2012 at 8:39 PM
mterwoord wrote:

Op 4 jul. 2012 20:38 schreef "civilwarrock" <notifications@codeplex.com> het volgende:

mterwoord wrote:

Step #1 Has been completed for I think a year or two now. Lol. - Matt

Jul 4, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Ask for some task and we might get you started. I think many of the stuff you wrap in your project could be integrated back into cosmos...
Just send a proposal to the list...

Op 4 jul. 2012 21:39 schreef "civilwarrock" <notifications@codeplex.com> het volgende:

mterwoord wrote:

mterwoord wrote:

Jul 4, 2012 at 9:44 PM
On 7/4/2012 1:47 PM, mterwoord wrote:
> From: mterwoord
>
> We almost have FAT working in cosmos. if just some people would step up
> to help us.....

Actualy FAT is working.. but to make it work properly without work
arounds there are a few compiler bugs in my way that Im working on...
Jul 4, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Here is the source code as I promised, hope it helps - Ahmed.

http://sdrv.ms/My17Tt

Jul 4, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Not to offend but this looks like it was taken directly from NoobOS.

Jul 4, 2012 at 11:32 PM
ahmed01000410657 wrote:

Thanks appreciate that. Should help me get a small head start. Thanks - Matt

Jul 4, 2012 at 11:33 PM
mterwoord wrote:

Ask for some task and we might get you started. I think many of the stuff you wrap in your project could be integrated back into cosmos...
Just send a proposal to the list...

Op 4 jul. 2012 21:39 schreef "civilwarrock" <notifications@codeplex.com> het volgende:

mterwoord wrote:

mterwoord wrote:

Alright, sounds like a plan. Thanks mterwoord. - Matt

Jul 4, 2012 at 11:47 PM
On 7/4/2012 2:38 PM, civilwarrock wrote:
> mterwoord, Ill see if I can help some this Summer, as I will have more
> free time. What currently needs to be worked on besides FAT, Thanks - Matt

I posted the list on the yahoo group a few times...
Jul 5, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Lawl a direct copy of noob oses file system , what a joke. It isnt that hard to figure out how to write /read

Jul 5, 2012 at 7:38 AM
ahmed01000410657 wrote:

May I request that credit be given to NoobOS as per the license, or it be taken down. This applies to you, Ahmed, and anyone who uses this code in their OSes.     

Jul 5, 2012 at 3:00 PM

First I do not have an OS all the code I find I test it then I write that it works and if I want to take it for my self I would upload with a different name and say "hi I did it".

I don't have an OS and the code was uploaded with name NoobFileSystem if I want it for my self and want every body to know that I wrote it I would upload it with the name "AhmedFileSystem", So it's not me who steal others code.

Jul 5, 2012 at 3:20 PM

It has the exact same directory structure and file names as NoobOS.

Jul 5, 2012 at 3:29 PM
ahmed01000410657 wrote:

First I do not have an OS all the code I find I test it then I write that it works and if I want to take it for my self I would upload with a different name and say "hi I did it".

I don't have an OS and the code was uploaded with name NoobFileSystem if I want it for my self and want every body to know that I wrote it I would upload it with the name "AhmedFileSystem", So it's not me who steal others code.

Credit us to comply with the license, or I will be forced to take further action. I am not forbidding you from using our code, but you are breaking the license and our moral rights. We have spent time and effort on this,  and it is annoying to find someone who takes the code without crediting us, and making it ambigous whether you wrote it or not.

Jul 5, 2012 at 3:31 PM
Huh? what's all this crap about: he's redistributing your sources without change??

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Aurora01 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

ahmed01000410657 wrote:

Credit us to comply with the license, or I will be forced to take further action. I am not forbidding you from using our code, but you are breaking the license and our moral rights. We have spent time and effort on this, and it is annoying to find someone who takes the code without crediting us, and making it ambigous whether you wrote it or not.

Jul 5, 2012 at 3:35 PM
He has took code from our project, noobos.codeplex.com, and not credited us, which is clearly against the license.
Jul 5, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I don't wish to bother you, but would you mind moving this discussion somewhere else if possible? My inbox is getting flooded

Jul 5, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Unfortunately, there is not really any other place to take it. Also, there haven't been that many messages :P

Jul 5, 2012 at 4:16 PM
Edited Jul 5, 2012 at 4:23 PM

I didn't  know that I've to credit  your project OK, My bad I didn't read the license carefully.

Apologizes to NoobOS team.

I'd like to thank NoobOS team for their very hard work.

I uploaded the source with the original name, I didn't know that I've to credit u, OK.

Jul 5, 2012 at 4:19 PM
Edited Jul 5, 2012 at 4:20 PM
joshbeitler wrote:

It has the exact same directory structure and file names as NoobOS.

I did not say I was the one who did it, fine.

I thought u don't know any thing about it so I uploaded the source files, and I'm not stupid to say I did it and upload it with it's original name.

Think again.

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Aurora you might want to tell the same thing to these people(pearos.codeplex.com) it appears they are about to steal your code for noobfs

Jul 6, 2012 at 2:40 AM
GruntXProductions wrote:

Aurora you might want to tell the same thing to these people(pearos.codeplex.com) it appears they are about to steal your code for noobfs

It appears your wrong, and didn't know I get emails of this crap.. So I know whats going on... But pouncing on ahmed01000410657 is wrong. - Matt

Jul 6, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Thanks Matt appreciate that.

Jul 6, 2012 at 3:41 PM
civilwarrock wrote:
GruntXProductions wrote:

It appears your wrong, and didn't know I get emails of this crap.. So I know whats going on... But pouncing on ahmed01000410657 is wrong. - Matt

All I did was defend NoobOS's copyright in the standard way. I did not try to bully Ahmed, I just made it clear that credit was needed, which is perfectly acceptable. If I have offended you Ahmed, my apologies, but this is NoobOS's way of dealing with problems, and I did not and do not wish to upset you in any way.

Jul 6, 2012 at 3:42 PM
Edited Jul 6, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Hi,

I wrote that noobfs code and I want to advice you that NoobFileSystem, works only in debug mode. I Don't know why but in release mode, the drivers aren't able to write down on the disk. If you'll fix this issue, that would be very nice because I'll be able to continue with NoobOS.

Anyway, Aurora, the licence is not valid because I forgot to write down on each file that all the code was "Distributed under the terms of this General Public License",

The 0 point of the Licence starts with: "This License applies to any program or other work which contains a notice placed by the copyright holder saying it may be distributed under the terms of this General Public License.".

Civilwarrock and Ahmed feel free to use that code as you want, just remember what i wrote before :P. I'll be grateful if you'll credit me or NoobOS.

Sorry for posting and annoying people who have nothing to do with this discussion

Aleksi

Jul 6, 2012 at 3:51 PM

It has a notice under the license page, therefore it is valid.

Jul 6, 2012 at 5:20 PM
Unless specifically stated, the license only applies to the project as a whole, not individual files.

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Aurora01 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

It has a notice under the license page, therefore it is valid.

Jul 6, 2012 at 5:49 PM
alexitaly92 wrote:

Hi,

I wrote that noobfs code and I want to advice you that NoobFileSystem, works only in debug mode. I Don't know why but in release mode, the drivers aren't able to write down on the disk. If you'll fix this issue, that would be very nice because I'll be able to continue with NoobOS.

Anyway, Aurora, the licence is not valid because I forgot to write down on each file that all the code was "Distributed under the terms of this General Public License",

The 0 point of the Licence starts with: "This License applies to any program or other work which contains a notice placed by the copyright holder saying it may be distributed under the terms of this General Public License.".

Civilwarrock and Ahmed feel free to use that code as you want, just remember what i wrote before :P. I'll be grateful if you'll credit me or NoobOS.

Sorry for posting and annoying people who have nothing to do with this discussion

Aleksi

I'd be happy to credit you. =). I will look into it, might be a small bug, cause I always run in Release mode. So if I find something I will fix it and give you the changes... I have been so busy I haven't had a chance yet to sit down and study it. But thanks for writing the driver in the first place. Thanks - Matt

Jul 6, 2012 at 5:50 PM
ahmed01000410657 wrote:

Thanks Matt appreciate that.

No problem.. - Matt

Aug 17, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Your skydisk link expired, can you edit your post with a new link or send me the file?

Aug 18, 2012 at 10:56 PM

You can check the NoobOS file system on codeplex.com, the code is not mine but I didn't think that people here know about it so I uploaded it..............

Check NoobOS file system and don't forget to credit them.