Can I change the hardware in the creation of the VM?

Topics: Developing Cosmos (Working on Cosmos source code directly)
Developer
Jul 11, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Is there a way I can change what hardware is in the VM that is created when I compile my project?

Developer
Jul 11, 2012 at 1:30 AM

You could change the VM settings for "Cosmos"

On Jul 11, 2012 1:29 AM, "scifiboi" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Is there a way I can change what hardware is in the VM that is created when I compile my project?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Developer
Jul 11, 2012 at 1:31 AM
What for?

On 11 July 2012 10:59, scifiboi <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Developer
Jul 11, 2012 at 1:34 AM

The VM "Cosmos" in VMware

On Jul 11, 2012 1:31 AM, "Cman332" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

What for?

On 11 July 2012 10:59, scifiboi <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Coordinator
Jul 11, 2012 at 3:09 AM
On 7/10/2012 9:34 PM, joshbeitler wrote:
> From: joshbeitler
>
> The VM "Cosmos" in VMware

You can also change the installed VMX (not the one use for install, but
after install)
Coordinator
Jul 11, 2012 at 3:09 AM
On 7/10/2012 9:29 PM, scifiboi wrote:
> Is there a way I can change what hardware is in the VM that is created
> when I compile my project?

Make a new profile, I believe it allows you to specify which vmx it uses.
Developer
Jul 11, 2012 at 4:00 AM

@CMan332 Because I am attempting to write a floppy driver

@JoshBeitler Every time I change the hardware, it changes back when I compile and run

@Kudzu Okay, I'll give it a shot.

Coordinator
Jul 11, 2012 at 4:04 AM
On 7/11/2012 12:00 AM, scifiboi wrote:
> @JoshBeitler Every time I change the hardware, it changes back when I
> compile and run

You are changing the wrong one.
Developer
Jul 11, 2012 at 4:12 AM

I don't understand. Why does it overwrite my settings when I compile and run? I am changing the settings of the "Cosmos" VM.

Coordinator
Jul 11, 2012 at 4:13 AM
On 7/11/2012 12:12 AM, scifiboi wrote:
> I don't understand. Why does it overwrite my settings when I compile and
> run? I am changing the settings of the "Cosmos" VM.

Because it regenerates it from a template on each run. You need to
change the template.
Developer
Jul 11, 2012 at 4:17 AM

Okay, so if I edit the Cosmos.vmx file in my roaming/Cosmos User Kit/Build/VMware directory, will that work? If so, what part of that file do I need to edit?

Coordinator
Jul 11, 2012 at 4:19 AM
On 7/11/2012 12:17 AM, scifiboi wrote:
> Okay, so if I edit the Cosmos.vmx file in my roaming/Cosmos User
> Kit/Build/VMware directory, will that work? If so, what part of that

Yes.

> file do I need to edit?

Use VMWare to edit it.
Developer
Jul 11, 2012 at 4:19 AM

Alright thanks.