CPU Exception x06

Topics: Using Cosmos (Developing your own OS, projects, etc)
Jul 28, 2012 at 8:45 PM
Edited Jul 28, 2012 at 8:52 PM

What is CPU Exception x06?

Nevermind, I'm an idiot for not looking before asking...

However, I am curious to what causes this in COSMOS.

I got it when I was trying to access an index in a custom string dictionary class (doesn't implement Dictionary<T,T>), and I've made it to throw an Exception, except, I catch it in the code I use.

Coordinator
Jul 28, 2012 at 8:47 PM
On 7/28/2012 3:45 PM, LukeTerry wrote:
> What is CPU Exception x06?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interrupt_descriptor_table
Coordinator
Jul 28, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Invalid opcode: are you using delegates, interfaces, exceptions?

What cosmos version are you using?

Op 28 jul. 2012 21:47 schreef "kudzu" <notifications@codeplex.com> het volgende:

On 7/28/2012 3:45 PM, LukeTerry wrote:
> What is CPU Exception x06?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interrupt_descriptor_table

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Exceptions, I have used delegates before without exceptions though...

Jul 28, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Thanks for confirming cause, I suspected but didn't know, I've altered my approach to it now.

Coordinator
Jul 28, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Try making an overall try..catch.

Op 28 jul. 2012 21:56 schreef "LukeTerry" <notifications@codeplex.com> het volgende:

Exceptions, I have used delegates before without exceptions though...

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jul 28, 2012 at 9:11 PM

The Exception was being caught within 2 try..catch statements, with the function throwing the Exception the only statement in the second.

Coordinator
Jul 28, 2012 at 9:27 PM

You didn't yet tell what version of Cosmos you are using...

Op 28 jul. 2012 22:11 schreef "LukeTerry" <notifications@codeplex.com> het volgende:

The Exception was being caught within 2 try..catch statements, with the function throwing the Exception the only statement in the second.

Jul 28, 2012 at 9:33 PM

I am using release 92560 (I'm having trouble compiling the source, so I've just not updated for a while).

Coordinator
Jul 29, 2012 at 8:42 AM
If you're interested in using devkit, ask here or on mailinglist, and we'll try to get you going..

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 10:33 PM, LukeTerry <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I am using release 92560 (I'm having trouble compiling the source, so I've just not updated for a while).

Jul 31, 2012 at 9:05 PM

I am, but my computer won't run it due to the SQL LocalDB thing requiring Vista or better, I'm running XP.

Coordinator
Jul 31, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Hmm. We could relatively easily change it to use SQL Express instead of LocalDB, but I suspect we are going to hit requirements very soon that also will require Vista+. For example we will move to VS 2012 later in the year when Express editions are released, and I doubt VS 2012 supports XP either.

Coordinator
Jul 31, 2012 at 9:33 PM

In fact VS 2012 won't even install on Vista... It will require Windows 7 or higher...

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/11/en-us/products/compatibility

Coordinator
Jul 31, 2012 at 9:39 PM
On 7/31/2012 4:06 PM, LukeTerry wrote:
> I am, but my computer won't run it due to the SQL LocalDB thing
> requiring Vista or better, I'm running XP.

Hmm. We could relatively easily change it to use SQL Express instead of
LocalDB, but I suspect we are going to hit requirements very soon that
also will require Vista+. For example we will move to VS 2012 later in
the year when Express editions are released, and I doubt VS 2012
supports XP either.
Jul 31, 2012 at 10:42 PM
Edited Jul 31, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Considering I am one user without, against a lot of others that will have the requirements, I don't see why you should use anything else, just means changing more stuff. I'll probably upgrade to windows 7 sometime soon anyhow, just need to get the right backups in place.

Coordinator
Jul 31, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Chad why not use SQL compact for now?

Op 31 jul. 2012 22:25 schreef "kudzu" <notifications@codeplex.com> het volgende:

Hmm. We could relatively easily change it to use SQL Express instead of LocalDB, but I suspect we are going to hit requirements very soon that also will require Vista+. For example we will move to VS 2012 later in the year when Express editions are released, and I doubt VS 2012 supports XP either.

Coordinator
Jul 31, 2012 at 11:02 PM

If you look at the check in comments I had it working with SQLCE. Then I tried EDM.... I hit some issues and after searching it appears the EDM implementation is pretty buggy with SQLCE 3.5, and everyone says "upgrade to 4.0"..but 4.0 isnt even supported in EDM so you have to hack stuff. It seems that all the EDM fixes are going into VS 2012 and no one wants to fix EDM with SQLCE 3.5, nor update support for VS 2010 SQL CE 4.0. Furthermore I read that SQLCE can be a bit slow with a lot of inserts, which we have. So SQL Express solves all this...

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Well I'm backing up all my stuff and going to switch to windows 7, and I suppose it'd be easier for anyone with a similar problem than all the switching.

Coordinator
Jul 31, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Thanks for the understanding.

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:32 PM

It's okay, I'd rather you not waste valuable time on something that works.

Aug 1, 2012 at 12:29 PM

I know this is unrelated to this post, but I've wanted to know for a while now; 

How come abstract classes work, when interfaces do not?

I know that they are not the same thing, but I just would of thought that abstract classes would of been harder to implement and would of been supported after interfaces.

Coordinator
Aug 1, 2012 at 12:36 PM
Both abstract classes and interfaces get called to by using virtual method calls (callvirt instruction).
The implementation of callvirt is mostly handled by a c# method (GetMethodAddress, iirc, it's in VTablesImpl.cs). The method scans an array (we know this is slow, but it works). Problem however lies in filling that table: the compiler needs a way to see which mehtods are used, and which arent. Currently our scan only includes a number of interface situations, and all abstract/virtual method situations..

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 1:29 PM, LukeTerry <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I know this is unrelated to this post, but I've wanted to know for a while now;

How come abstract classes work, when interfaces do not?

I know that they are not the same thing, but I just would of thought that abstract classes would of been harder to implement and would of been supported after interfaces.

Aug 1, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Ah, I see. Thanks for the answers, I'm now running Windows 7 and just installing all the prerequisites. The SQL LocalDB installed, thank god.