Bug with ATA code.

Topics: Using Cosmos (Developing your own OS, projects, etc)
Aug 19, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Hello, I wrote a custom file system for my OS and it works for the most part but I noticed that at random Partition.ReadBlock will not read certain bytes (they will be random numbers instead of what is actually on the disk). Anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it. 

Coordinator
Aug 23, 2012 at 11:04 PM
On 8/21/2012 5:05 PM, GruntXProductions wrote:
> Hello, I wrote a custom file system for my OS and it works for the most
> part but I noticed that at random Partition.ReadBlock will not read
> certain bytes (they will be random numbers instead of what is actually
> on the disk). Anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it.

Could be the compiler bug that I was hitting and no one seemed to think
was important.... I love the post recently "please stop fixing compiler
bugs and instead focus on GUI"
Coordinator
Aug 23, 2012 at 11:04 PM
What version of cosmos are you using?

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 11:05 PM, GruntXProductions <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hello, I wrote a custom file system for my OS and it works for the most part but I noticed that at random Partition.ReadBlock will not read certain bytes (they will be random numbers instead of what is actually on the disk). Anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:25 AM
mterwoord wrote:
What version of cosmos are you using?

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 11:05 PM, GruntXProductions <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

I am using the latest milestone(Release  92560), I sort of fixed it by implementing checksums and having my OS keep reading until it matches with the checksum. Still it appears that this bug only happens on certain sectors. Is it possible for VMDK and virtual box virtual harddrives to have bad sectors?