This project is read-only.

Fresh Installation... but i can't debug...

Topics: Compiler, Installation, Using Cosmos (Developing your own OS, projects, etc)
Aug 26, 2012 at 1:59 PM
Edited Aug 26, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Hey guys,

it's been a while since I was experimenting with Cosmos last time...
So I downloaded Release 92560 and installed it...
I'm using VS2010 Ultimate.
When I opened a new project and tried to debug the first time, an error message remembered me to install vwmware :-P
so I downloaded VMWare Player 5.0.0-812388, restated VS2010 and tried to debug again...
but VMWare seemed to crash and all I see @ the VMWare form was the topbar and a white sceen...
After rebooting my system (cold start) i successfully coudt debug an empty project once... but that totally was the last time it worked...

Any1 has any idea wtf is wrong with my setup?^^

edit:
btw... the vmware process stays alive with 50% CPU usage... looks like a loop 2 me...

Aug 26, 2012 at 5:19 PM
CPU 50% could also mean your OS is just running..

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 5:42 PM, AntVickl0r <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hey guys,

it's been a while since I was experimenting with Cosmos last time...
So I downloaded Release 92560 and installed it...
I'm using VS2010 Ultimate.
When I opened a new project and tried to debug the first time, an error message remembered me to install vwmware :-P
so I downloaded VMWare Player 5.0.0-812388, restated VS2010 and tried to debug again...
but VMWare seemed to crash and all I see @ the VMWare form was the topbar and a white sceen...
After rebooting my system (cold start) i successfully coudt debug an empty project once... but that totally was the last time it worked...

Any1 has any idea wtf is wrong with my setup?^^

edit:
btw... the vmware process stays alive with 50% CPU usage... looks like a loop 2 me...

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Aug 26, 2012 at 5:38 PM

I'm trying to run the standart template

Aug 26, 2012 at 5:40 PM
AFter a fresh windows start you can use the debugger once? if so, how are you stopping the debug session? Try stopping by clicking Power Off in vmware..

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 6:39 PM, antvickl0r <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I'm trying to run the standart template

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Aug 26, 2012 at 5:41 PM
Edited Aug 26, 2012 at 5:45 PM

i could start it once...

now it wont start again... even after rebooting the system

edit:

maybe i did'nt installed it in the right way... do i have to make any modifications after installing from the executable?

Aug 26, 2012 at 5:57 PM
What happens if you try ?

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 6:42 PM, antvickl0r <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

i could start it once...

now it wont start again... even after rebooting the system

Aug 26, 2012 at 6:04 PM
Edited Aug 26, 2012 at 6:12 PM

VMWare seem to crash and all I see @ the VMWare form was the topbar and a white sceen...

when i move the form, the vmware screen turns black...

but does nothing else...

edit:

btw... when I start the VM manually it works fine!

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I just reinstalled vmware and userkit... but it still wont run...

maybe I should just give up and cry into my pillow^^

anyone any other idea?

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:53 AM
have you tried running a different operating system inside vmware?

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 12:49 PM, AntVickl0r <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I just reinstalled vmware and userkit... but it still wont run...

maybe I should just give up and cry into my pillow^^

anyone any other idea?

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:58 AM

i haven't tried another os...

but when i start the cosmos VM manually it works just fine...

i even would work like that... if just the pipe wouldn't be blocked after compiling (correct) and the (not working) vmware boot...

when vmware stays in the loop, I kill the process... then i have to restart VS to compile again...

thats really disturbing^^

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:02 PM
you have vmware player or workstation?
the issue you're seeing almost sounds like a graphics card driver issue or so. when vmwar efreezes, do you see a process in taskmanager taking up lots of CPU? what's the process?
does waiting a while change anythihng?

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 12:58 PM, AntVickl0r <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

i haven't tried another os...

but when i start the cosmos VM manually it works just fine...

i even would work like that... if just the pipe wouldn't be blocked after compiling (correct) and the (not working) vmware boot...

when vmware stays in the loop, I kill the process... then i have to restart VS to compile again...

thats really disturbing^^

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:07 PM

I'm using VMWare Player.
The vmwareplayer.exe process is taking betwen 35% and 50% CPU usage (Its a DualCore, so I think one core is crowded).

Yesterday I let it run for like an hour or so... but nothing changed...

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:09 PM
I'm suspecting everything is running ok, but somehow the screen of the virtual machine is not updated correctly. What happens if you resize the vmware player window?

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 1:07 PM, AntVickl0r <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I'm using VMWare Player.
The vmwareplayer.exe process is taking betwen 35% and 50% CPU usage (Its a DualCore, so I think one core is crowded).

Yesterday I let it run for like an hour or so... but nothing changed...

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Nothing changed...

I think if the vm would run proper, the cpu usage would come down when the os is waiting for console.readline()

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:17 PM
that depends on how the os is implemented, and i think cosmos doesn't yet use interrupts for that..

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 1:15 PM, AntVickl0r <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Nothing changed...

I think if the vm would run proper, the cpu usage would come down when the os is waiting for console.readline()

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:20 PM

When i boot the VM manually the cpu usage goes down when waiting on input...

and then there's another process called vmware-unity-helper.exe (this one isn't running when i try to debug)

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:22 PM
you're trying to run an empty kernel right? should work.. hmm..
you have the vmware vix stuff installed?

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 1:20 PM, AntVickl0r <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

When i boot the VM manually the cpu usage goes down when waiting on input...

and then there's another process called vmware-unity-helper.exe (this one isn't running when i try to debug)

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:35 PM
Edited Aug 27, 2012 at 12:36 PM

yup, that's what i try^^

ahhh... that's what i thought while my third post -.-
what is that vmware fix? and where can i find it? (shame on me)

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:38 PM
See the release notes:
http://cosmos.codeplex.com/releases/view/89628

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 1:35 PM, AntVickl0r <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

yup, that's what i try^^

ahhh... that's what i thought whiuole my third post -.-
what is that vmware fix? and where can i find it? (shame on me)

Aug 27, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Thanks...
But it still won't work...
i'm desperate about this -.-*

Thanks for your help mterwood
i have an appointment now... i'll try messing with this later again

peace

Aug 27, 2012 at 3:08 PM
What antivirus solution do you use?

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 2:00 PM, AntVickl0r <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Thanks...
But it still won't work...
i'm desperate about this -.-*

Thanks for your help mterwood
i have an appointment now... i'll try messing with this later again

peace

Aug 27, 2012 at 4:48 PM

-.- I'm usin' avast free

if this is the problem, i'll go crazy^^

i'm gonna check it when im home again...

thx 4 your effort

Aug 27, 2012 at 4:50 PM
On 8/27/2012 7:07 AM, AntVickl0r wrote:
> I'm using VMWare Player.
> The vmwareplayer.exe process is taking betwen 35% and 50% CPU usage (Its
> a DualCore, so I think one core is crowded).
>
> Yesterday I let it run for like an hour or so... but nothing changed...

Can you boot something non Cosmos with VMWare? Maybe one of the tiny
linux ready to download VMs?
Aug 27, 2012 at 4:53 PM
On 8/27/2012 6:58 AM, AntVickl0r wrote:
> i haven't tried another os...
>
> but when i start the cosmos VM manually it works just fine...
>
> i even would work like that... if just the pipe wouldn't be blocked
> after compiling (correct) and the (not working) vmware boot...

It sounds like something is interfering with the serial pipe.
Aug 27, 2012 at 5:14 PM

That's why I'm asking about antivirus software...

Op 27 aug. 2012 17:53 schreef "kudzu" <notifications@codeplex.com> het volgende:

On 8/27/2012 6:58 AM, AntVickl0r wrote:
> i haven't tried another os...
>
> but when i start the cosmos VM manually it works just fine...
>
> i even would work like that... if just the pipe wouldn't be blocked
> after compiling (correct) and the (not working) vmware boot...

It sounds like something is interfering with the serial pipe.

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:23 PM

sooo... i deactivated avast and rebooted my system...
but sadly nothing changed :-(

but avast won't let me deactivate it really... only deactivate protection-functions...

i think i'll kick it from the autostart for a little test...

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:29 PM
Edited Aug 28, 2012 at 12:37 PM

ok... i just took another harddisk, installed win7 again,
installed vs2010 ultimate
then vmware player (5.0.0-812388) , vmware vix
and then cosmos (92560)

i tried to debug.... and vmware acts the same again...

could this be a hardware cause?

do I need anything else? is there something i forgot to install?

edit:

could it be a 32/64bit cause?

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:41 PM
You aren't running as a virtual machine, are you?

If turns turn out the way I want them to, I can do a teamviewer session with you by next week/sunday..

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 1:29 PM, AntVickl0r <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

ok... i just took another harddisk, installed win7 again,
installed vs2010 ultimate
then vmware player (5.0.0-812388) , vmware vix
and then cosmos (92560)

i tried to debug.... and vmware acts the same again...

could this be a hardware cause?

do I need anything else? is there something i forgot to install?

Aug 28, 2012 at 3:19 PM

no, win7 runs on real hardware ;-)

thanks for your efford mterwoord but I don't want you to waste your time on this that much...

I just found a workaround^^
compiling with F6 and then starting the VM manually... isn't perfect but quite productive.

@weekend I'm gonna setup another system with other hardware and try it again.. till then i'll write and (not really) debug with my workaround :-P

Thanks to both of you :-)

Aug 28, 2012 at 4:21 PM

This new install on the second hard drive, its clean windows without any antivirus software? That is, just windows and vs?

Op 28 aug. 2012 16:20 schreef "AntVickl0r" <notifications@codeplex.com> het volgende:

no, win7 runs on real hardware ;-)

thanks for your efford mterwoord but I don't want you to waste your time on this that much...

I just found a workaround^^
compiling with F6 and then starting the VM manually... isn't perfect but quite productive.

@weekend I'm gonna setup another system with other hardware and try it again.. till then i'll write and (not really) debug with my workaround :-P

Thanks to both of you :-)

Aug 28, 2012 at 4:28 PM

On 8/28/2012 11:21 AM, mterwoord wrote:> From: mterwoord> > This new install on the second hard drive, its clean windows without any > antivirus software? That is, just windows and vs?

It sounds like your shellexec is messed up then.... we use shellexec to launch vmware. We use VIX, but only to shut down, not start up.

Aug 28, 2012 at 4:29 PM
any virusscan software involved? could mess with shellexec?

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 5:28 PM, kudzu <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

On 8/28/2012 11:21 AM, mterwoord wrote:> From: mterwoord> > This new install on the second hard drive, its clean windows without any > antivirus software? That is, just windows and vs?

It sounds like your shellexec is messed up then.... we use shellexec to launch vmware. We use VIX, but only to shut down, not start up.

Aug 28, 2012 at 4:31 PM
Edited Aug 28, 2012 at 4:35 PM

a clean Windows and I installed nothing more then VS, VMWare, VMWare Vix and Cosmos

no antivirus software involved

Aug 28, 2012 at 4:35 PM
On 8/28/2012 11:32 AM, AntVickl0r wrote:
> From: AntVickl0r
>
> yes, a clean Windows and I installed nothing more then VS, VMWare,
> VMWare Vix and Cosmos

Run in hive and trace it.
Aug 28, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Funny thought: the windows CD you're using is OK?

Op 28 aug. 2012 17:32 schreef "AntVickl0r" <notifications@codeplex.com> het volgende:

yes, a clean Windows and I installed nothing more then VS, VMWare, VMWare Vix and Cosmos

Aug 28, 2012 at 4:42 PM
Edited Aug 28, 2012 at 4:45 PM
kudzu wrote:

Run in hive and trace it.

i don't know how to do this^^ sorry

mterwoord wrote:

Funny thought: the windows CD you're using is OK?

There shouldn't be anything wrong with... (btw it's Home Premium - if that matters)

Edit:

i just see there are a lot of updates which aren't installed on the fresh installation...
I'm gonna force to install them now...^^

Aug 28, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Matthijs can help you with hive. You can see my hive project as an example.

Home Premium is fine.

Aug 28, 2012 at 5:06 PM

sorry... i don't really know what you mean with the word "hive" in this context^^

Aug 28, 2012 at 5:12 PM
are you familiar with tools to figure out what commandline parameters are passed to a given running executable?
Can you see what vmware gets passed?

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 6:06 PM, AntVickl0r <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

sorry... i don't really know what you mean with the word "hive" in this context^^

Aug 28, 2012 at 5:19 PM

I'm not familiar with it... but i think if you can tell me wich tool i can use for it i'm able to do it :-)

Aug 28, 2012 at 5:44 PM
using taskmanager, you can pick extra columns. can you see what parameters vmware is being passed?

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 6:19 PM, AntVickl0r <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I'm not familiar with it... but i think if you can tell me wich tool i can use for it i'm able to do it :-)

Aug 28, 2012 at 6:33 PM

ah, thanks.. the taskmanager surprises me =)

vmplayer.exe has the parameter "C:\Users\AntVickl0r\AppData\Roaming\Cosmos User Kit\Build\VMWare\Workstation\Debug.vmx"

Aug 28, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Try entering that text in the windows run box and see if the behaviour is the same.

Aug 28, 2012 at 6:45 PM

yes... it acts the same

Aug 28, 2012 at 6:48 PM

ie it hangs still?

Aug 28, 2012 at 6:59 PM

yes it does

Aug 28, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Something is goofed or interfering with your shell exec then... Its not Cosmos. Either bad vmware install, reg key, or antivirus etc.

Aug 28, 2012 at 7:46 PM

http://s1.directupload.net/images/120828/sfomp88c.jpg

I have no idea :-/