Does Cosmos support VS2012?

Topics: Installation
Sep 9, 2012 at 6:22 PM
Edited Sep 9, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Hi, i recently got VS2012 through a colleague, who is a MSDN subscriber and installed it..

Now, i can no longer install cosmos, it gives an error "VS 2010 not installed"..

Is there any way to make cosmos work in VS2012, as it's really complex to uninstall VS completely, i am using latest release 92560 of cosmos..

Coordinator
Sep 9, 2012 at 6:48 PM

You can port it.

You can also install VS 2010 and VS 2012 at the same time.

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:56 PM

i really don't want two VS's at the same time, they are really heavy on resources..

Can you tell me how to port it, i have installed VS 2012 on a fresh windows install, as my previous windows got corrupted..

Coordinator
Sep 10, 2012 at 1:05 PM
On 9/10/2012 8:57 AM, godofos wrote:
> i really don't want two VS's at the same time, they are really heavy on
> resources..

VS doesnt take any resources if its not running.

> Can you tell me how to port it, i have installed VS 2012 on a fresh
> windows install, as my previous windows got corrupted..

Matthijs is the best one to ask, but I'd start by looking at the
registry entries in the ISS file.
Sep 10, 2012 at 6:04 PM
Edited Sep 10, 2012 at 6:11 PM

well, i was talking about HDD resources, the no. of installation it makes, makes system so much cluttered.. :P

hope Matthijs see this and replies, i'll try to look into registry settings, but do you have any idea when cosmos would be released for VS2012 officially, given that VS2012 would be officially launched to public on 12 sept...

If it's soon enough, then i think i can wait for it..

Coordinator
Sep 10, 2012 at 6:06 PM
On 9/10/2012 2:04 PM, godofos wrote:
> hope Matthijs see this and replies, i'll try to look into registry
> settings, but do you have any idea when cosmos would be released for
> VS2012 officially, given that VS2012 would be officially launched to
> public on 12 sept...

When someone ports it. I'm not going to do it. :) I've got my hands full
with the debugger etc.
Sep 10, 2012 at 6:08 PM

I believe he was suggesting that one writes some DirectX drivers. I may be wrong, though.

Sep 10, 2012 at 6:53 PM

I'm sorry that post was meant for a different thread...

On Sep 10, 2012 2:08 PM, "Eamon Cusic" <encusic@gmail.com> wrote:

I believe he was suggesting that one writes some DirectX drivers. I may be wrong, though.

Developer
Sep 10, 2012 at 6:57 PM

I was wondering, xD

Sent from my toaster

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I was in the middle of school when I replied so I didn't realize which email I clicked..

On Sep 10, 2012 2:57 PM, "joshbeitler" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I was wondering, xD

Sent from my toaster

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Developer
Sep 10, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Can I bump this please? I've just updated my laptop to Windows 8 release preview and I've got VS2012 Professional too. Surely it wouldn't be too hard to port; if not does anyone know of a way to do it manually using tools such as csc (The .net builder for C#) and the other COSMOS tools?

Coordinator
Sep 10, 2012 at 8:53 PM

The only thing that seems to be hard is finding people willing to code....

Developer
Sep 10, 2012 at 8:55 PM

The extensions would need to be recompiled for VS2012 I believe.

Sent from my toaster

On Sep 10, 2012 8:53 PM, "kudzu" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
Sep 11, 2012 at 7:43 AM
Recompiling is not even necessary I think: it's all COM-based. It's a matter of registering the stuff correctly.

(Above assumes the base interfaces didn't change, which they didn't between 2008 and 2010)

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 10:55 PM, joshbeitler <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

The extensions would need to be recompiled for VS2012 I believe.

Sent from my toaster

On Sep 10, 2012 8:53 PM, "kudzu" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Developer
Sep 11, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Whereabouts in the source would I need to start looking?

Coordinator
Sep 11, 2012 at 7:30 PM

The iss file.

Op 11 sep. 2012 21:28 schreef "melikesPCcheese" <notifications@codeplex.com> het volgende:

Whereabouts in the source would I need to start looking?

Developer
Sep 11, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Could I just try bodging the installer to not look for VS2010

Coordinator
Sep 11, 2012 at 7:43 PM
On 9/11/2012 3:31 PM, melikesPCcheese wrote:
> Could I just try bodging the installer to not look for VS2010

No, because even if you bypass that, it still wont take the steps to
install to 2012.
Developer
Sep 11, 2012 at 7:57 PM

I'm just doing the research now, let me see if I can get it working, if I can I will let you know.

Developer
Sep 12, 2012 at 3:57 PM

After some modifications to get it to look for the right version and have it use the correct registry settings etc. to actually get it to build the code files I ended up with this:

314 Warnings,

302 Errors,

Lots of System.Linq errors; why do you even have that in the code?

Quite a few VSIP errors and a sprinkling of other errors...

I may continue to work on this but I can't give you any promises.

Coordinator
Sep 12, 2012 at 3:59 PM
THen it sounds like something else is off..
System.Linq is the namespace which contains lots of handy extension methods (.COunt(), for example).
Do you have the VS SDK installed?

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 5:57 PM, melikesPCcheese <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

After some modifications to get it to look for the right version and have it use the correct registry settings etc. to actually get it to build the code files I ended up with this:

314 Warnings,

302 Errors,

Lots of System.Linq errors; why do you even have that in the code?

Quite a few VSIP errors and a sprinkling of other errors...

I may continue to work on this but I can't give you any promises.

Developer
Sep 12, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Let me give you a fuller run down of what I've done so far:

1. Edited the .iss and code files to check for VS2012 instead of 2010 in the registry
  2. Installed all the prereqs that I could (not VS2010 obs)
  3. Tried to install
  4. It failed so I disabled the checking for VS2012 in the builder and also VMWare as it didn't find the one I installed
  5. Tried again
  6. It went through to the build stages and chucked up some errors about VSSDK targets and paths
  7. Installed the VS2012 SDK and put it in the folder that the 2010 one would have been in to save time
  8. Tried again
  9. It fully went through the build stage and then through up a whole load of warnings (I was expecting these) and a whole load of errors (was not expecting these)
  10. Posted the above message, posted this message

I am going to continue work and if I manage to get the error count down, I'll tell you.

Developer
Sep 12, 2012 at 8:46 PM

OK, I've got a better run down of the errors now, hopefully somebody can tell me what they do and if they're important

• AD7.Impl - VSConstants does not exist in the current context (About 100 or so)
  • Various xaml files - Cannot find the type VsBrushes (3)
  • Cosmos.VS.Package - Various namespace/type errors (About 100 or so)
  • CoreResGen - Various namespace/type errors (About 100 or so)

Apart from this everything just has errors...

Coordinator
Sep 12, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Will contact a friend of mine tomorrow about this.

Op 12 sep. 2012 22:28 schreef "melikesPCcheese" <notifications@codeplex.com> het volgende:

Let me give you a fuller run down of what I've done so far:

1. Edited the .iss and code files to check for VS2012 instead of 2010 in the registry
  2. Installed all the prereqs that I could (not VS2010 obs)
  3. Tried to install
  4. It failed so I disabled the checking for VS2012 in the builder and also VMWare as it didn't find the one I installed
  5. Tried again
  6. It went through to the build stages and chucked up some errors about VSSDK targets and paths
  7. Installed the VS2012 SDK and put it in the folder that the 2010 one would have been in to save time
  8. Tried again
  9. It fully went through the build stage and then through up a whole load of warnings (I was expecting these) and a whole load of errors (was not expecting these)
  10. Posted the above message, posted this message

I am going to continue work and if I manage to get the error count down, I'll tell you.

Coordinator
Sep 12, 2012 at 10:12 PM
On 9/12/2012 6:07 PM, NoahBuscher wrote:
> Seems to be going well!

I have the VS2012 install on standby waiting to test it out :)
Sep 13, 2012 at 5:58 AM

yes, now that VS2012 is officially launched, and we got people who are "willing to code", we all can expect it soon enough..

Salute to guys working on it... :)

Sep 15, 2012 at 7:00 PM

guys, any progress in work???

any success in making it to work with VS2012??

Developer
Sep 16, 2012 at 9:19 AM
godofos wrote:

guys, any progress in work???

any success in making it to work with VS2012??

Umm... Nothing so far, the building works fine apart from the VSIP which gives a whole load of errors which I think could be a whole load of compatibilty issues.

"Are you building the user kit or the dev kit?" - NoahBuscher

The same theory should apply when I build the user kit but for the moment I am building the dev kit as it's the default build.

Developer
Sep 23, 2012 at 10:04 AM

I have a SOLUTION for you guys.

I gave up on fully integrating COSMOS with VS2012 professional because of load of compatibility issues with the VSIP.

However for those people still interested in using VS2012 for the code developing and not really caring about switching between windows, here's a solution for you for a new project.

1. Install VS2012 C#/VB express edition
  2. Install VS2010 Integrated Shell
  3. Install COSMOS User Kit
  4. Create a new C# library project inside VS2012
  5. Reference the Cosmos libraries
  6. Build it into a .dll
  7. Create solution in VS2010 integrated shell, add a blank Cosmos Project with the name <OS NAME>Boot
  8. Inside that COSMOS project reference the .dll that was built by the .csproj
  9. From now on code in C# express 2012 then build it and run the OS in VS2010 IS.

And for those using an existing project

1. Follow steps 1-3 above
  2. Right click on the .sln file and click Open With -> Visual Studio 2010
  3. Right click on the .csproj file and click Open With -> Visual Studio C# Express 2012
  4. From now on code in C# express 2012 then build it and run the OS in VS2012 IS.
Sep 24, 2012 at 12:31 PM

ahh, too bad.. :(

i think that the compatibility issues are due to the fact that VS2012 is completely redesigned to make it more integrated with Windows8.. (The Blend, UI etc.), thus cosmos needing a total overhaul in code to be compatible with Windows8 (thus with VS2012 too)..

And i have the Ultimate version of VS2012, can i still safely follow the steps 2-9 you mentioned???

Coordinator
Sep 24, 2012 at 12:55 PM
VS2012 doesn't run as a RT app, but as a normal traditional app. See the registry: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio (remove Wow6432 on 32bit windows).
The 10.0 key is for VS2010, the 11.0 key is for VS2012: mostly the same.

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 2:31 PM, godofos <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

ahh, too bad.. :(

i think that the compatibility issues are due to the fact that VS2012 is completely redesigned to make it more integrated with Windows8.. (The Blend, UI etc.), thus cosmos needing a total overhaul in code to be compatible with Windows8 (thus with VS2012 too)..

And i have the Ultimate version of VS2012, can i still safely follow the steps 2-9 you mentioned???

Sep 24, 2012 at 7:48 PM

ok, it was just my thought that it could have been an issue, thnks for clearing it.. :)

Developer
Sep 30, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Steps 2-9 are safe to follow as you are only using VS2010 IS to build the .dll into a COSMOS project.

Oct 4, 2012 at 8:12 PM

well, having a problem in step 7, when i create a blank solution in VS2010 shell and try to add cosmos project, i don't see any option to add cosmos project, it just says "No Items Found" attached a image for better understanding..

http://i.imgur.com/PSlI3.jpg

Though cosmos is integrated as i can see a menu for it on the top.. (highlighted)...

Oct 5, 2012 at 2:38 PM

that's the problem my friend, as i have shown that it just does'nt show the option to add or create a COSMOS Project, see the image link for better understanding..

Coordinator
Oct 5, 2012 at 2:53 PM
Huh, are you using VS2012?

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 4:38 PM, godofos <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

that's the problem my friend, as i have shown that it just does'nt show the option to add or create a COSMOS Project, see the image link for better understanding..

Oct 5, 2012 at 6:00 PM

uh, yes of course, see the first post of this thread, i am using VS2012 since i got it..

Coordinator
Oct 5, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Cosmos doesn't support 2012 yet.

Op 5 okt. 2012 20:00 schreef "godofos" <notifications@codeplex.com> het volgende:

uh, yes of course, see the first post of this thread, i am using VS2012 since i got it..

Oct 5, 2012 at 7:16 PM
yeah i know that it still don't support VS2012, and that's why i think melikesPCcheese gave the following solution:
melikesPCcheese wrote:

I gave up on fully integrating COSMOS with VS2012 professional because of load of compatibility issues with the VSIP.

However for those people still interested in using VS2012 for the code developing and not really caring about switching between windows, here's a solution for you for a new project.

6. Build it into a .dll
  7. Create solution in VS2010 integrated shell, add a blank Cosmos Project with the name <OS NAME>Boot
  9. From now on code in C# express 2012 then build it and run the OS in VS2010 IS.

3. Right click on the .csproj file and click Open With -> Visual Studio C# Express 2012
  4. From now on code in C# express 2012 then build it and run the OS in VS2012 IS.

Coordinator
Oct 5, 2012 at 9:02 PM

That should work then. Did you build the express project? Keep in mind to target .NET 4.0 in 2012 express.

Op 5 okt. 2012 21:17 schreef "godofos" <notifications@codeplex.com> het volgende:

yeah i know that it still don't support VS2012, and that's why i think melikesPCcheese gave the following solution:
melikesPCcheese wrote:

6. Build it into a .dll

Oct 6, 2012 at 9:11 AM

i made it in .NET3.5 and .NET4.0, but it ain't working...

btw, i have VS2012 Ultimate, not express, but melikesPCcheese said it should'nt be a problem..

and the problem is'nt showing in VS2012, the main problem is VS2010IS is'nt showing an option to create or add cosmos project.. :(

Coordinator
Oct 6, 2012 at 9:13 AM
What VS2010 you have?

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 11:11 AM, godofos <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

i made it in .NET3.5 and .NET4.0, but it ain't working...

btw, i have VS2012 Ultimate, not express, but melikesPCcheese said it should'nt be a problem..

and the problem is'nt showing in VS2012, the main problem is VS2010IS is'nt showing an option to create or add cosmos project.. :(

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:25 PM

i strictly followed what melikesPCcheese suggested, in step 2 he asked to install VS2010IS..

so that's only what i have, Visual Studio 2010 Integrated Shell.

Oct 6, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Problem: .Net 4.0 is overwritten with 4.5 upon install. There currently is no fix. Targeting .Net 4.5 is the same as 4.0 and vise versa....

Coordinator
Oct 7, 2012 at 8:53 AM
aviacreations: that's not completely true: .net 4.5 is a different profile, and assemblies are marked with 4.5 then.

godofos: after installing vs2010 shell, did you install the userkit again?

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 6:06 PM, aviacreations <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Problem: .Net 4.0 is overwritten with 4.5 upon install. There currently is no fix. Targeting .Net 4.5 is the same as 4.0 and vise versa....

Oct 7, 2012 at 9:53 AM

yes, coz i was'nt able to install COSMOS before installing VS2010IS, it always gave the error "VS2010 not installed", but after installing VS2010 shell, cosmos installation was successful..

Coordinator
Oct 7, 2012 at 9:54 AM
ANd in VS2010 shell you have a cosmos template somewhere?

On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 11:53 AM, godofos <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

yes, coz i was'nt able to install COSMOS before installing VS2010IS, it always gave the error "VS2010 not installed", but after installing VS2010 shell, cosmos installation was successful..

Oct 7, 2012 at 7:58 PM

yes, and that somewhere i can't find, as you would have seen in this image (http://i.imgur.com/PSlI3.jpg)...

Coordinator
Oct 8, 2012 at 7:11 AM
Hmm. Which version are you installing? latest userkit?

On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 9:58 PM, godofos <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

yes, and that somewhere i can't find, as you would have seen in this image (http://i.imgur.com/PSlI3.jpg)...

Coordinator
Oct 8, 2012 at 7:11 AM
Try to switch to .NET 4.0 framework when creating the project..

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 9:10 AM, Matthijs ter Woord <matthijsterwoord@gmail.com> wrote:
Hmm. Which version are you installing? latest userkit?

On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 9:58 PM, godofos <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Jan 1, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Its possible follow instructions at http://ryan-lange.com/xna-game-studio-4-0-visual-studio-2012/

except replace xna game studio 4 with the cosmos directory (use DIR command to find out)

Developer
Oct 27, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Sorry to bring up an old discussion but has this been sorted yet??

I cannot get access to the VS2010 Shell - no installer is available online. That means that most of the above discussion is useless.
tuomas56's instructions are also unhelpful since I only have VS2010 Express and the project template installed for that is not the one needed to be transferred for 2012.

I have VS2010 Express installed and VS2012 Professional.

Anyone got a way for me to install Cosmos into 2012?? Or even instructions on how to set up a new project (required references?) and set build target in 2012 to use the Cosmos compiler??

Any help would be much appreciated - this looks like a really exciting project to use if only Microsoft hadn't removed the proper VS2010 downloads!
Ed
Coordinator
Oct 27, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Most of the 2012 work is done but needs tested and a few items left. Now we are looking at 2013.. either way just need someone to help. :)
Developer
Oct 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Okay thanks - I downloaded the latest source and took a look but couldn't get my head around the structure. Good luck - I'll keep checking back!
Ed
Nov 4, 2013 at 8:14 AM
kudzu wrote:
Most of the 2012 work is done but needs tested and a few items left. Now we are looking at 2013.. either way just need someone to help. :)
Don't know if I'm up to it, but I'm happy to give the testing a go.
I've been waiting for 2012 compatibility, saw this and thought why wait, just help.
Coordinator
Nov 4, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Please do jump in! We welcome all help. But we are skipping 2012 and going to 2013 now.
Developer
Nov 6, 2013 at 8:07 PM
In case it is of interest to anyone on this thread, see latest check-in. VS2013 is now (at least in-part) supported. (Only tested against Ultimate, Express editions are almost certainly not supported).

Regards,
Ed
Nov 7, 2013 at 5:35 PM
Are Express editions not likely to be supported again?
Or just for the moment?
Developer
Nov 7, 2013 at 7:06 PM
AFAIK it is just for the moment but I have no way of testing Express so it is down to someone else to do the work on it.
Coordinator
Nov 8, 2013 at 5:15 AM

We'll have to do testing and then do a release. Keep an eye on the website. Shouldn't be too long.... :-)

Op 7 nov. 2013 21:06 schreef "EdwardNutting" <[email removed]>:

AFAIK it is just for the moment but I have no way of testing Express so it is down to someone else to do the work on it.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email ([email removed])

To start a new discussion for this project, email [email removed]

Nov 11, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Two questions re 2013 Express testing;
1) As with 2010, Does anything special need to be installed (ex integrated shell, etc)?
Is the process the same as described here? https://cosmos.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Using%20Visual%20Studio%20Express&referringTitle=Home
2) Are there specific tests that need to be done?
Coordinator
Nov 11, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Intergated shell needs to be installed (2013 version), rest is the same. But you need someone to build a setup for you firs.t.

2013/11/11 SG101 <[email removed]>

Two questions re 2013 Express testing;
1) As with 2010, Does anything special need to be installed (ex integrated shell, etc)?
Is the process the same as described here? https://cosmos.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Using%20Visual%20Studio%20Express&referringTitle=Home
2) Are there specific tests that need to be done?

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email ([email removed])

To start a new discussion for this project, email [email removed]