This project is read-only.

Cosmos and XNA

Topics: Other, Using Cosmos (Developing your own OS, projects, etc)
Sep 10, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I was wondering whether anyone has toyed around with the idea of using XNA as the GUI layer for a Cosmos OS?  I know all the drivers, file support etc would have to be in place, and there may be some other considerations involved, but it seems that XNA does have a lot of the 2D and even 3D graphics, input, networking and sound elements in place.

Sep 10, 2012 at 5:12 PM
On 9/10/2012 11:52 AM, JayTurner wrote:
> I was wondering whether anyone has toyed around with the idea of using
> XNA as the GUI layer for a Cosmos OS? I know all the drivers, file
> support etc would have to be in place, and there may be some other
> considerations involved, but it seems that XNA does have a lot of the 2D
> and even 3D graphics, input, networking and sound elements in place.

XNA is a wrapper for DirectX. You'd have to build plugs for DirectX.
Sep 10, 2012 at 5:14 PM
and doing that, including writing the directx replacement stuff, is HUGE i think..

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 6:12 PM, kudzu <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

On 9/10/2012 11:52 AM, JayTurner wrote:
> I was wondering whether anyone has toyed around with the idea of using
> XNA as the GUI layer for a Cosmos OS? I know all the drivers, file
> support etc would have to be in place, and there may be some other
> considerations involved, but it seems that XNA does have a lot of the 2D
> and even 3D graphics, input, networking and sound elements in place.

XNA is a wrapper for DirectX. You'd have to build plugs for DirectX.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Sep 10, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I'm just brainstorming here... But if one was able to build plugs to use DirectX, you should be able to use the DirectX Drivers to control a lot of the hardware, cutting down on the need to recreate drivers.  That is assuming that there are not legal issues involved.  It also seems that the DirectX and XNA gaming support would be closer to the OS level, where the OS's GUI could largely be built upon the Gaming support instead of the SDK's being an added level on top of the OS.

Sep 10, 2012 at 6:18 PM
On 9/10/2012 12:47 PM, JayTurner wrote:
> I'm just brainstorming here... But if one was able to build plugs to use
> DirectX, you should be able to use the DirectX Drivers to control a lot
> of the hardware, cutting down on the need to recreate drivers. That is

How can we use DirectX drivers? Windows drivers wont run on Cosmos.

Of course its the chips that have DX on them, and the drivers largely
pass through the commands.
Sep 10, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I believe he was suggesting that one writes some DirectX drivers. I may be wrong, though.

On Sep 10, 2012 1:19 PM, "kudzu" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

On 9/10/2012 12:47 PM, JayTurner wrote:
> I'm just brainstorming here... But if one was able to build plugs to use
> DirectX, you should be able to use the DirectX Drivers to control a lot
> of the hardware, cutting down on the need to recreate drivers. That is

How can we use DirectX drivers? Windows drivers wont run on Cosmos.

Of course its the chips that have DX on them, and the drivers largely
pass through the commands.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Sep 11, 2012 at 5:11 AM
DelfinoIsland wrote:

I believe he was suggesting that one writes some DirectX drivers. I may be wrong, though.

------------------- 

Mostly, I am trying to work through, and figure out, what it would take to actually build  an OS that is based on XNA.  For a while now I have been working with XNA, slowly trying to build up a library of 2D GUI controls.  I have some different game concepts that I would eventually like to work into a game, but as a starting point I am focusing on the graphical user interface elements.  For a while now, one thing that I thought would be cool is if there was an operating system that was actually built with XNA at its very foundation.  Just think about it.  A computer operating system, not only built for gaming, but also built using the same SDK's the games use.  When I ran across Cosmos, it started to get me thinking.

Lately I have been gaining a lot of respect for open sourced and cross platform software development.  I know there have been a couple different initiatives to create cross platform implementations of XNA.  From what I have seen, they have mostly been using OpenGL or something of the likes, then emulating XNA code usage.  If what Kudzu said is true that "its the chips that have DX on them, and the drivers largely pass through the commands", then in theory, by creating drivers for the DirectX based hardware and porting/building plugs for DirectX, (more or less) true cross platform implementations of DirectX and XNA could be created without having to emulate it.  And if that much is possible, then the possibility of an XNA base OS would also be a possibility.

I know it would be a lot of work to do something like this, but I do believe that there is enough of an interest to warrant at least looking into the possibilities.

Sep 13, 2012 at 7:17 AM

I was reading in the forums that you are integrating VMWare SVGA II drivers into Cosmos, is that correct?

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Since VMware is our primary dev environment, yes its graphics drivers is our prime target.

Sep 13, 2012 at 4:28 PM
kudzu wrote:

Since VMware is our primary dev environment, yes its graphics drivers is our prime target.

I use VMware's SVGA II Drivers on my VM for XNA development, so I know it is a compatible driver.  I was talking with Glatzemann over at http://anxframework.codeplex.com.  He believes that if you can get that driver up and running in Cosmos, he should be able to get ANX (an XNA port) working.  Of course that would be using Reach mode.  I was wondering how close you are to having those drivers up and running?

Sep 13, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Having basic framebuffer supportor pixelsetting stuff is something else than implementing DirectX, which is used by ANX and XNA

Op 13 sep. 2012 17:29 schreef "JayTurner" <notifications@codeplex.com> het volgende:

kudzu wrote:

I use VMware's SVGA II Drivers on my VM for XNA development, so I know it is a compatible driver. I was talking with Glatzemann over at http://anxframework.codeplex.com. He believes that if you can get that driver up and running in Cosmos, he should be able to get ANX (an XNA port) working. Of course that would be using Reach mode. I was wondering how close you are to having those drivers up and running?

Sep 13, 2012 at 5:21 PM

I don't know whether it will help at all, but I did notice that PearOS has drivers for S3Trio64v2 and VMware SVGA.  Also, I did run accross http://vmware-svga.sourceforge.net.  You may already have all of this, but if not, hopefully it will help...

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:11 PM
JayTurner wrote:

I don't know whether it will help at all, but I did notice that PearOS has drivers for S3Trio64v2 and VMware SVGA.  Also, I did run accross http://vmware-svga.sourceforge.net.  You may already have all of this, but if not, hopefully it will help...

My OS's driver 'S3Trio64v2' doesn't work, however my VMWare SVGA stuff does. - Matt

Sep 14, 2012 at 7:16 PM
civilwarrock wrote:
JayTurner wrote:

My OS's driver 'S3Trio64v2' doesn't work, however my VMWare SVGA stuff does. - Matt

civilwarrock

Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, one of the coordinators over at ANXFramework may have the time to take a look at getting ANX to work with Cosmos.  The main thing that he needs is a version of Cosmos runtime, with functional DirectX 9 video drivers.  I know the normal VMWare SVGA II drivers will work with XNA because that is what I use on my VM at home to do my XNA development.

Your VMWare SVGA drivers, are they basic SVGA drivers or do they have DirectX support?