My first wonder into a Filesystem...?

Topics: Using Cosmos (Developing your own OS, projects, etc)
Sep 15, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Ok so I decided to Start writting my own FileSystem code. It's working quite well. After getting some stuff done, I decided to read block 0 with the max block sizr defined by that Hard Drive. Now this is in VMWare, then I printed out that block. What I saw was quite cool, and interesting.

Here's what it basicly printed out. 'Invalid Partation Table Error loading operating system Missing operating system". It said that along with tons of random char's. Does that mean I'm in the boot sector of the Hard Drive, cause isn't that what block 0 is for? Thanks - Matt

Sep 15, 2012 at 1:28 AM
civilwarrock wrote:

Ok so I decided to Start writting my own FileSystem code. It's working quite well. After getting some stuff done, I decided to read block 0 with the max block sizr defined by that Hard Drive. Now this is in VMWare, then I printed out that block. What I saw was quite cool, and interesting.

Here's what it basicly printed out. 'Invalid Partation Table Error loading operating system Missing operating system". It said that along with tons of random char's. Does that mean I'm in the boot sector of the Hard Drive, cause isn't that what block 0 is for? Thanks - Matt

Use the VHD in %appdata%\Cosmos User Kit\Build\VMWare\Workstation\. That should work, if you want to be able to use any partition then write a partition manager, the only thing I have not figured out to do is get the number of heads/cylinders but I believe mine works (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znL94z8XirA), but I would do that first. Here is an article that helped me http://wiki.osdev.org/Partition_Table

Coordinator
Sep 15, 2012 at 7:19 AM
We almost have FAT working. Why do you want to start from scratch?

Op 15 sep. 2012 03:28 schreef "GruntXProductions" <notifications@codeplex.com> het volgende:

civilwarrock wrote:

Use the VHD in %appdata%\Cosmos User Kit\Build\VMWare\Workstation\. That should work, if you want to be able to use any partition then write a partition manager, the only thing I have not figured out to do is get the number of heads/cylinders but I believe mine works (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znL94z8XirA), but I would do that first. Here is an article that helped me http://wiki.osdev.org/Partition_Table

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Sep 15, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Because of the key words 'Almost Working'. Your guys don't have a working FAT at the moment. Which is fine, I understand. So what I decided to do was create my own File system Protocol and Layout. It works quite well. When you guys get FAT working maybe i'll swap over. But for now this gives me something to play with. =), - Matt

Coordinator
Sep 15, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Thing that keeps puzzling me: why not help us out fixing the couple of remaining bugs so we can move forward faster? No point in recreating stuff yourself.......

Op 15 sep. 2012 19:26 schreef "civilwarrock" <notifications@codeplex.com> het volgende:

Because of the key words 'Almost Working'. Your guys don't have a working FAT at the moment. Which is fine, I understand. So what I decided to do was create my own File system Protocol and Layout. It works quite well. When you guys get FAT working maybe i'll swap over. But for now this gives me something to play with. =), - Matt

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Sep 15, 2012 at 8:02 PM
mterwoord wrote:

Thing that keeps puzzling me: why not help us out fixing the couple of remaining bugs so we can move forward faster? No point in recreating stuff yourself.......

Op 15 sep. 2012 19:26 schreef "civilwarrock" <notifications@codeplex.com> het volgende:

Because of the key words 'Almost Working'. Your guys don't have a working FAT at the moment. Which is fine, I understand. So what I decided to do was create my own File system Protocol and Layout. It works quite well. When you guys get FAT working maybe i'll swap over. But for now this gives me something to play with. =), - Matt

I would help but I cant use the dev kit or compile the code (because I have like a gig on my HD), and cant install SQL Server Express 2012 LocalDB. But I like to rewrite the cosmos plugs for fun (There is no fun in OS development if everything is done for you)