This project is read-only.

The Virtual Cosmos Harddisk

Topics: Using Cosmos (Developing your own OS, projects, etc)
Oct 8, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I've just created a format function that wipes the virtual hard disk Cosmos uses. Now, it worked, as far as I can tell, but will not boot again, it comes up with an error saying it cannot load the operating system (in VMware). Any suggestions why?

Oct 8, 2012 at 8:49 PM
LukeTerry wrote:

I've just created a format function that wipes the virtual hard disk Cosmos uses. Now, it worked, as far as I can tell, but will not boot again, it comes up with an error saying it cannot load the operating system (in VMware). Any suggestions why?

that has happened to me while corrupting the MBR. Did you corrupt the MBR???

Oct 8, 2012 at 9:00 PM
Edited Oct 8, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Most probably.

Oct 9, 2012 at 7:41 AM
That's weird: we dont install on harddisk but we boot using ISO.
Can you verify to see how the BIOS settings are in VMware?
Oct 9, 2012 at 5:29 PM

I found what was going wrong; Grunt was right, I had corrupted the boot record, I just replaced the virtual disk file with a new one. 

I knew that an ISO was used for booting, but the doesn't the BIOS do a boot sector check for 0x55AA at index 510-511 on boot on all "bootable" drives, so if it didn't find that, it'd assume that the boot record was corrupt and not complete booting.

Oct 9, 2012 at 9:37 PM
LukeTerry wrote:

I found what was going wrong; Grunt was right, I had corrupted the boot record, I just replaced the virtual disk file with a new one. 

I knew that an ISO was used for booting, but the doesn't the BIOS do a boot sector check for 0x55AA at index 510-511 on boot on all "bootable" drives, so if it didn't find that, it'd assume that the boot record was corrupt and not complete booting.

look at the code I sent henry (I dont know if you have it) but I sent him the code I used for my partition tool.