Cosmos on Windows RT

Topics: Developing Cosmos (Working on Cosmos source code directly), Using Cosmos (Developing your own OS, projects, etc)
Oct 11, 2012 at 5:50 AM

Will cosmos run on windows rt?

Coordinator
Oct 11, 2012 at 7:06 AM
Are you referring to the new desktop environment (running on x86 or x64), or the limited windows edition?

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 6:50 AM, jpal <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Developer
Oct 11, 2012 at 1:24 PM

RT is the tablet edition. I don't think so, as WinRT doesn't allow desktop apps besides Office. So no VStudio.

On Oct 11, 2012 12:06 AM, "mterwoord" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Are you referring to the new desktop environment (running on x86 or x64), or the limited windows edition?

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Oct 25, 2012 at 9:26 PM

WinRT will only run apps downloaded from the windows app store. In theory microsoft could launch visual studio on there but I highly doubt they will.

Even then you would still need VMWare which due to technical reasons cannot run on anything but x86 systems. Either that or you would have to burn the .iso to a USB stick or something and hope the tablet can boot off USB instead of into winRT (something I'm intruiged by seeming as they all possess USB 2 ports) which again won't work as cosmos is for x86 whereas winRT tablets are ARM.

Then you need to install the cosmos userkit which I doubt microsoft would allow onto the app store.

Basically I don't think you can develop for cosmos on winRT.

Now in theory if microsoft would at least give us .net compilers on winRT you could at least attempt to recompile cosmos userkit on winRT and then compile your OS to a .iso. Then someone might make a full x86 emulator on winRT eventually (virtual box doesn't actually emulate x86 hardware directly, it functions closer to piping the instructions your supposedly emulating into the CPU in a sandboxed way hence why it wont work with an x86 OS on ARM) in which case your .iso might be test-able in winRT but it would be slow I guess.

Cosmos in future apparently will be supporting ARM and mono but I reckon that it will be many years yet. No doubt someone will make the mono compilers available on winRT if microsoft dont make .net compilers available. Then at least cosmos would be compilable and bootable on your tablet.

I myself am aiming to get a laptop/tablet hybrid however I want an x86 one running a full version of windows 8 not an ARM tablet. In this particular case yes cosmos will be usable as you can install Visual Studio 2010 and VMWare. 

Oct 25, 2012 at 10:18 PM
joshbeitler wrote:

RT is the tablet edition. I don't think so, as WinRT doesn't allow desktop apps besides Office. So no VStudio.

On Oct 11, 2012 12:06 AM, "mterwoord" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

RT is the ARM edition, that does not mean it can't run desktop apps but it is limited to .NET programs and native ARM programs. If they port visual studio to ARM you can run use it, if not you cant.

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:00 AM

WinRT does support the desktop. But only apps compiled for ARM. Visual Studio 2012 for windows desktop does not support arm apps, but microsoft can make them(all native apps work with windows rt)

Oct 26, 2012 at 8:33 PM
jpal wrote:

WinRT does support the desktop. But only apps compiled for ARM. Visual Studio 2012 for windows desktop does not support arm apps, but microsoft can make them(all native apps work with windows rt)

That is what I just said.

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Oh. I didn't see your post.