This project is read-only.

New installer

Topics: Developing Cosmos (Working on Cosmos source code directly), Installation
Mar 12, 2013 at 1:51 AM
I think it would benefit cosmos developers if we make a new installer that will allow you to pick non-core libraries like x#, etc. to either to be installed or not installed. On top of that we can add a default output so instead of it compiling to an iso as default they can chose a differ net one. Other features may include picking default installation directory. I think by implemented this it will allow first time users to get straight to coding and debugging without worrying about the settings and outputs issus.

Please let me know who would be interested and i will look into this and I will get a mock up of it so we can see if its worth doing.
Mar 12, 2013 at 3:12 AM

I think that sounds great!

Mar 12, 2013 at 8:08 AM
You can already change output to a simple ISO. It's in the project settings...

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 3:12 AM, joshbeitler <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I think that sounds great!

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Mar 12, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Would it be possible to not install X# without breaking some core debug libraries?
Mar 12, 2013 at 8:43 AM
Not install? why would you want that?
Cosmos needs it..

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 8:30 AM, Aurora01 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Would it be possible to not install X# without breaking some core debug libraries?

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:14 AM
I was referring to how he said there should be an option...
Mar 12, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Yes that what I was trying tro say. You should have a chose to install or not installl X# or users playgrounds. As for selecting the default output type, I thinks its a good idea because it allows first time users to get right to coding and debugging instead of messing around with settings.
Mar 12, 2013 at 12:44 PM
huh? installer doesn't install the playgrounds..
default is good already: its set to debug in VMWare, like what we want it to be..

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 12:42 PM, clearosdev <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Yes that what I was trying tro say. You should have a chose to install or not installl X# or users playgrounds. As for selecting the default output type, I thinks its a good idea because it allows first time users to get right to coding and debugging instead of messing around with settings.

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:54 PM
I just think users who new to developing with cosmos shouldn't have to worry about settings. If they know they only wants to use iso then they should just beable to set iso to iso and then not have to change it until they want vmware. Also yo u should be able to change the install directory. I will get a demo going by the end of the week so that you can understand where I am going with this.
Mar 12, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Our goal is to provide a good developer environment. the debugger is vital to that.. So why disable it by default?

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 12:56 PM, clearosdev <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I just think users who new to developing with cosmos shouldn't have to worry about settings. If they know they only wants to use iso then they should just beable to set iso to iso and then not have to change it until they want vmware. Also yo u should be able to change the install directory. I will get a demo going by the end of the week so that you can understand where I am going with this.

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:49 PM
On 3/12/2013 3:30 AM, Aurora01 wrote: > Would it be possible to not install X# without breaking some core debug > libraries? No because core parts of Cosmos are written in X#.
Mar 12, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Ok I wasn't sure i thought you could. Will it still be possible to pick the directory that it installs in.
Mar 12, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Doesn't the userkit already let you do that?

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 2:08 PM, clearosdev <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Ok I wasn't sure i thought you could. Will it still be possible to pick the directory that it installs in.

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:16 PM
No it doesn't give you a chose it install right to users appdata
Mar 12, 2013 at 2:17 PM

On a related note, is IL2CPU installable (or useable) separately from Cosmos?

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:20 PM
josh: as is, no: there are strong ties to certain parts of cosmos....

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 2:17 PM, joshbeitler <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

On a related note, is IL2CPU installable (or useable) separately from Cosmos?

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:38 PM
If the IL2CPU is useable without visaul studios couldn't we port cosmos to mono.
Mar 12, 2013 at 4:38 PM
If the IL2CPU is useable without visaul studios couldn't we port cosmos to mono.
Mar 12, 2013 at 4:45 PM
On 3/12/2013 11:38 AM, clearosdev wrote: > From: clearosdev > > If the IL2CPU is useable without visaul studios couldn't we port cosmos > to mono. Cosmos did support Mono and will again someday. IL2CPU isnt tied to VS. The problem is RESOURCES.... we dont
even have enough right now to do what we do, so we scaled back and simplified.
Mar 12, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Ok thats cool do you know how far back has it been since it supported mono so I can take a look at how it was done.
Mar 12, 2013 at 4:55 PM
On 3/12/2013 11:50 AM, clearosdev wrote: > Ok thats cool do you know how far back has it been since it supported > mono so I can take a look at how it was done. Its done the "Same". Its just a matter of config options, and a different set of plugs...
Mar 13, 2013 at 7:07 AM
I took a stab at running IL2CPU on mono, but the database stuff in the Debugging libraries isn't portable (Cosmos uses the System.Data.Entity assemblies, while the latest cosmos only has EntityFramework.dll from the latest Entity Framework), and then I get some weird errors about invalid images and whatnot.

On 13 March 2013 02:25, kudzu <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

On 3/12/2013 11:50 AM, clearosdev wrote: > Ok thats cool do you know how far back has it been since it supported > mono so I can take a look at how it was done. Its done the "Same". Its just a matter of config options, and a different set of plugs...

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:16 PM
On 3/13/2013 2:07 AM, Cman332 wrote: > I took a stab at running IL2CPU on mono, but the database stuff in the > Debugging libraries isn't portable (Cosmos uses the System.Data.Entity Running IL2CPU with a Mono target is different than trying to run it
on Mono. The former was what we supported and plant to again. The latter doesn't provide enough benefit to make it worth it vs the cost.
Mar 13, 2013 at 12:43 PM
So all the debugging is link Visual Studios. Couldn't we make an application that would run sperate to Visaul Studios So no matter what ide you are using cosmos could be buiit, ran and debug truely on its own.
Mar 13, 2013 at 7:46 PM
clearosdev wrote:
So all the debugging is link Visual Studios. Couldn't we make an application that would run sperate to Visaul Studios So no matter what ide you are using cosmos could be buiit, ran and debug truely on its own.
I agree, a version of COSMSO that can be run just from the command line without any IDE, and that works on Mono would be perfect
Mar 13, 2013 at 7:48 PM

+1

On Mar 13, 2013 12:46 PM, "GruntXProductions" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

clearosdev wrote:
I agree, a version of COSMSO that can be run just from the command line without any IDE, and that works on Mono would be perfect

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:26 PM
I was talking to some people on the irc chat who would really like to use cosmos but cant because they were using ubuntu not windows. I think it would be the next milestone for cosmos if it was fully dependent of an ide. I would like to start trying to implement this but I looked at the debug classes and it was over my head. If anyone could get something started and create it separately form the core for now until we are sure that its going to work, I will try to help as much as I can.
Mar 13, 2013 at 9:03 PM
It would be a good thing, but I think Cosmos simply doesn't have the resources at the moment...
Mar 13, 2013 at 10:02 PM
All we would have to do is reroute the debugging output to a console and add some command line arguments to the IL2CPU. I'm not saying its simple but i certainly not impossible to do. Like I said if some starts it I will try to help plus if do have the resources now we can always put it aside and wait until we do have the resource. We should start it like in a users playground then when we are sure its finished then fully implement it.
Mar 13, 2013 at 10:14 PM
On 3/13/2013 4:06 PM, Aurora01 wrote: > It would be a good thing, but I think Cosmos simply doesn't have the > resources at the moment... Correct. If we had more resources we'd have networking and other things by now, but as it is its 3-4 people that do
95% of the work.
Mar 13, 2013 at 10:17 PM
I totaly understand I would try to help I am a developer but I dont want to mess anything up. I will see what I can do to help.
Mar 14, 2013 at 12:58 AM
I started a prototype under my user folder it only deals with command line arguments right now because the IL2CPU needs to call it once its done compiling. Once we get that set up its a matter of getting the debug classes working with it. I hope I am being a help to this project. I know this wasn't what people where working on but I will certainly help people who want to use cosmos without windows or an ide.
Mar 14, 2013 at 1:24 AM

I'll see if I can do anything.

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:42 AM
Ok thanks I think we can get something started at least to see if its worth spending time on but I know a lot of people who would like to see it get done.
Mar 14, 2013 at 8:11 AM
Please see my note on cosmos-dev..

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 1:42 AM, clearosdev <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Ok thanks I think we can get something started at least to see if its worth spending time on but I know a lot of people who would like to see it get done.

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:10 PM
I would help, but Windows sucks and there is no way I am going back to Windows.... Linux FTW
Mar 14, 2013 at 4:08 PM
I feel the same way but i using windows for school and work. I too would really like to see this ported to make but some people thing its a waste.
Mar 14, 2013 at 4:11 PM
I feel the same way but i using windows for school and work. I too would really like to see this ported to make but some people thing its a waste.
Mar 14, 2013 at 4:12 PM
I dont see it as a pure waste of time, but we have (very) limited resources (developer time). Adding extra side-features (like this debugger work) means (much) more work, and more complexity on the shared parts..

In the relatively-short-term future, we'll be massively extending the debugger. Having to coordinate with some other debugger means more work.

There are other parts of the project which would mean a much more visible progress of the project...
One of the things soon to be started on, is memory management..

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 4:08 PM, clearosdev <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Mar 14, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Mar 14, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Mar 14, 2013 at 4:32 PM
sorry for the repeating post. I will work on mine and the current debugger next week. I'll be very active next week so I will see what i can do.
Mar 16, 2013 at 4:45 AM
So much of the debugger can be shared, it's just the front end really and the pipes

On 15 March 2013 02:03, clearosdev <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

sorry for the repeating post. I will work on mine and the current debugger next week. I'll be very active next week so I will see what i can do.

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Pipes? that part is already generic...

On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 4:45 AM, Cman332 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

So much of the debugger can be shared, it's just the front end really and the pipes

On 15 March 2013 02:03, clearosdev <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote: