How does COSMOS actually work?

Topics: Compiler, Other, Using Cosmos (Developing your own OS, projects, etc)
Jul 25, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Edited Jul 25, 2013 at 11:00 AM
I want to know how you guys made COSMOS. After the program is compiled a lot of things happen
on the screen,
I want to learn about the following subjects:
1) What does IL2CPU do? Which language does it translate to? In my guess it's NASM, but how, where is the LEXER in the IL2CPU source.
2) What does the BUildUI.Run do? Does it call the IL2CPU compiler?
3) When I dynamically create a Cosmos project, I.E without using the Cosmos template the Console Opens up saying "Please set your x86 assembly a target for IL2CPU", Do I need to modify something else?
4) Can we using ASM or C within COSMOS?
You can also reference all these to The Source, and tell me where these operations are done.
~Thanks Cosmos in advance
Coordinator
Jul 25, 2013 at 11:23 AM
1: il2cpu compiles .net assemblies (il code) to native code (currently it targets nasm text). .net assemblies (CIL) consist of metadata and IL code. il code is actually kind of like a CPU assembler language. we dont do any lexing, but just compile the il opcodes to other (sets of) opcodes
2: buildui (which is ancient btw) calls il2cpu and other magic to get your kernel booted.
3: not sure anymore, like i said the release you're using (it's the MS4 release i think?) is ancient
4: not out of the box. and if you want to make a filesystem, do it in c#, you'll have the joy of a debugger as well...