This project is read-only.

Cosmos Networking

Topics: Developing Cosmos (Working on Cosmos source code directly), Other, Using Cosmos (Developing your own OS, projects, etc)
Feb 5, 2014 at 9:22 PM
Edited Feb 5, 2014 at 9:23 PM
I'm trying to work on a project were users could communicate with eachother thru LAN. I've been trying to implement this in my OS but I have no idea where to begin.Could someone possibly assist me this :)
Feb 9, 2014 at 5:49 AM
Write drivers, it's as simple as that (Why do I have to tell this always?), Realtek 8139 should be a good place to start, you don't get all sorts of networking in one day, there is TCP/IP, UDP, ARP and so many concepts to cover up before starting to do networking.
For network drivers first you need a PCI interface (I think Cosmos already supports that) since NICs are PCI Devices.
Here's a summary :
  1. Choose which NIC (Network Interface Card) you'll program for. Intel 825x, Realtek 8139, etc.
  2. Grab the documents for those cards.
  3. Read them and understand them line by line
  4. Write the code.
    Once you've written drivers, then you can implement TCP, UDP etc. On top of that.
Feb 10, 2014 at 7:48 AM
If you're interested, You could join development of cosmos, please join the mailinglist. We're interested in getting networking working.. :)

2014-02-09 6:49 GMT+01:00 ALLDESP <[email removed]>:

Write drivers, it's as simple as that (Why do I have to tell this always?), Realtek 8139 should be a good place to start, you don't get all sorts of networking in one day, there is TCP/IP, UDP, ARP and so many concepts to cover up before starting to do networking.
For network drivers first you need a PCI interface (I think Cosmos already supports that) since NICs are PCI Devices.
Here's a summary :
  1. Choose which NIC (Network Interface Card) you'll program for. Intel 825x, Realtek 8139, etc.
  2. Grab the documents for those cards.
  3. Read them and understand them line by line
  4. Write the code.
    Once you've written drivers, then you can implement TCP, UDP etc. On top of that.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email ([email removed])

To start a new discussion for this project, email [email removed]

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com