OS Builds But Does Not Debug

Topics: Using Cosmos (Developing your own OS, projects, etc)
Feb 13, 2014 at 6:11 AM
So i have installed VS 2013 Ultimate, VMWare Workstation And Player, and the VIX API. I am able to get the solution to build without error, but no matter what i try the kernel will not launch in workstation or player.

I have not used Cosmos since the last VS 2010 release and did not have this problem before. Any help would be wonderful.
Developer
Feb 13, 2014 at 7:26 AM
Old projects are not compatible with VS2013 (even if VS tries to "upgrade" them). You will need to create a new project in VS2013 and then your ooriginal source files to it.

Have you tried creating/running a new project (without making any changes)? If that doesn't work then can you describe what happens when you try to? Ensure you have built the project, check for IL 2 CPU messages in Output window. Then press Debug button. (note: start without debugging doesn't work).

Hope this helps, thanks,
Ed
Feb 13, 2014 at 7:28 AM
Edited Feb 13, 2014 at 7:32 AM
I started off with a blank project, i was never using a old project. Sorry for any confusion on that.

When i create a blank project and run it, the output displays that all builds succeeded. Workstation nor player opens.

Here is the output:

1>------ Build started: Project: MyOSBoot, Configuration: Debug x86 ------
1> IL2CPU invoked with DebugMode='Source', DebugEnabled='True', TraceAssemblies='{NULL}', IgnoreDebugStub='False'
1> IL2CPU task took 00:00:19.6933720
========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 1 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

I get no errors.
Developer
Feb 13, 2014 at 7:32 AM
Hmm okay then this is an odd issue... When you click the debug button, what actually happens? Does VS at least freeze or anything for a few seconds? Does compiler start?
Developer
Feb 13, 2014 at 7:35 AM
Interesting...(just seen your edits). I will get back to you ASAP when I've had time to think about this more.

Sorry this isn't working for you!
Ed
Feb 13, 2014 at 7:36 AM
No freezing, compiler runs fine, nothing out of the normal besides VMWare not launching.
Feb 13, 2014 at 7:36 AM
Edited Feb 13, 2014 at 7:37 AM
EdwardNutting wrote:
Interesting...(just seen your edits). I will get back to you ASAP when I've had time to think about this more.

Sorry this isn't working for you!
Ed
Ok, thanks. Dont know if it makes any differance but im also on Win 8.1, if you need any other info feel free to ask.
Developer
Feb 13, 2014 at 7:49 AM
Can you let me know the install path to VMWare Player?
Feb 13, 2014 at 7:57 AM
C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation

Player and Workstation are installed to the same directory by default.
Feb 14, 2014 at 7:40 AM
Well I did a clean install of windows from my recovery image I made, all I installed after was VS 2013, VIX, and Workstation and I got it to work. I don't know if something I installed was conflicting with it before.

I will slowly install everything I had up till that point to see if I can reproduce this issue though, I will get back to you with the results within the next 24 hours.
Developer
Feb 14, 2014 at 7:48 AM
Okay great. I did some testing last night and couldnt find any issues but perhaps it's an issue with having both VMWare Player and Workstation installed. I don't have Workstation though so any testing / feedback you can give would be invaluable!

Thanks, Ed
Feb 14, 2014 at 7:51 AM
It wouldn't be a issue with having both (workstation comes with both of them, it just installs them to the same directory). I also tried uninstalling workstation and downloading player with no success.
Developer
Feb 14, 2014 at 7:58 AM
Aah okay didn't know that. What version of Player? It might have been updated from the one I test against.
Feb 14, 2014 at 8:00 AM
Latest version, same one linked on the download page.
Developer
Feb 14, 2014 at 8:01 AM
Okay I'll check when I get home tonight what version I actually have installed.
Feb 14, 2014 at 8:03 AM
Curious question, have you updated to update 1 of VS2013?
Developer
Feb 14, 2014 at 8:15 AM
Yeah and it still works :)
Feb 14, 2014 at 8:49 AM
Edited Feb 14, 2014 at 8:51 AM
Found it!!! Installing python tools for visual studio breaks it, not sure about the reason behind this though.
Developer
Feb 14, 2014 at 12:10 PM
Great! Well if you can work out why that'd be good. For now though this issue doesn't appear to be high priority so I won't look into it further.

Keep me updated on any progress! Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
Ed