MOSA Project collaboration

Topics: Compiler, Developing Cosmos (Working on Cosmos source code directly)
Jun 26, 2014 at 4:38 AM
Hi developers of COSMOS

When I first started out a few years back trying to learn about OS development I came across this project and jumped at the thought of making my own OS, while that was fun I always had a nagging feeling that the source code was a bit messy and I didn't like how a few things were done.

I then came across MOSA Project. For years I tried to jump in but found myself in deep water an never able to contribute due to lack of skill. It hasn't been until the last year or so that I've gathered enough skill to contribute to the project.

As time progressed I contributed more and more until I was made a collaborator on the project. I've been implementing a cool new range of features such as AOT Metadata trees and the beginnings of Runtime Reflection.

Having seen what these two projects can do I can say that they have both achieved different features and have different strengths. I think we should look into some sort of collaboration effort and pooling ideas and solutions and take advantage of each others solutions to problems.

The two projects may have different goals but there is a clear overlap in what they are trying to achieve and I think it would be worth a shot in opening a discussion for potential collaboration and sharing which could advance the projects by strides in a shorter timespan than if the projects were to mind their own business.

I look forward to seeing your response.

Regards
Stefan Andres Charsley
Developer
Jun 26, 2014 at 5:03 AM
Edited Jun 26, 2014 at 5:05 AM
Hello, I'm a cosmos developers.
Your view is very much right. But cosmos and mosa both have a different frame structure of project. And they differ in many ways. So it might be difficult to collaborate because in that process one project have to lose its project frame. And if you say about sharing, well still one may have to suffer. Because both projects has different road maps and working potential. And also the code style.

Yeah opening a short discussion is fine, But it will have no use after some time when both projects acquire its speed and started achieving its goals
Well i am a developer so this is what my point of view the main thing is of cosmos coordinator's decision.

Greetings
Aman Priyadarshi
Jun 26, 2014 at 5:29 AM
Hi Aman,

While the two projects may have different project frames, concepts are still transferable and possibly even code as well.

For instance the concept of Plugs was adopted by MOSA from COSMOS and that has worked well for the few scenarios that we need them for, though we are constantly looking for better solutions.

The amount of people contributing to MOSA at the moment is quite low (about 3). While we may not have many current contributors we have solutions to problems you have and vice versa. For instance we have fully implemented Interfaces and have working Generics.

Regards
Stefan Andres Charsley