This project is read-only.

Intel Galileo Possibilities

Topics: Developing Cosmos (Working on Cosmos source code directly), Other
Sep 20, 2014 at 3:57 PM
Edited Sep 20, 2014 at 3:58 PM
Hello, I just wanted to open a thread to see if anyone has tried to use COSMOS on the Intel Galileo. I haven't heard of anyone trying it, but unlike the raspberry pi and most other boards like it, it uses an intel x86 processor, which in theory should make it very easy to port cosmos to, the only challenge is the boot process which i am not yet familiar with.
Has anyone else worked with this board? Microsoft has already managed to port a simplified version of windows to it, and i've seen a few linux distro's successfully running on it, but the problem with running a full scale OS on this board is that it's not real time, thus gpio response time's always seems much more delayed than usual. COSMOS counts as a real time OS right? so in theory it should be possible to get far more speed and functionality out of the board if COSMOS could run on it, not to mention a decent managed OS.
Sep 22, 2014 at 4:40 PM
Not that Im aware of. Like everything else, we'd love to do it but already have a lot of people who want to use Cosmos, but very few who want to help code.
Sep 22, 2014 at 8:27 PM
I would be happy to help with code, i was mostly curious if anyone else had tried it before i try it. I'm fairly certain that booting COSMOS from the galileo would not actually be that hard, its just a matter of figuring out the boot system which seems to be quite different from other x86 boot systems. it seems to boot from an image file inside of a microSD card. so that would suggest if a compiled cosmos kernel is put into that image file, it should boot the kernel. Then the only challenge would be accessing peripherals, and fitting that build system into the source code. that part i might need a bit of help with because i haven't worked with the internals of COSMOS in years, but it should still be possible.
Sep 22, 2014 at 8:59 PM
Well jump in :)

We're here for support but already buried in existing tasks.
Nov 6, 2014 at 4:17 AM
The Intel Galileo uses WIM images for Windows and EXT3 images for Linux. The Linux version is loaded using the GRUB boot loader. So theoretically if we configured GRUB properly we should be able to boot a COSMOS OS. However that huge issue still remains of how to tell if it has booted properly considering that the Galileo lacks any video output.
Nov 6, 2014 at 7:16 AM
It would be possible to connect our debugger (via RS232), or in the future use networking..
Nov 18, 2014 at 7:42 PM
I have three Intel Galileo boards, 2 x Gen 1 boards and 1 x Gen 2 I will be attempting to deploy a very basic cosmos image that will flash a led in the first instance sometime next week; and will let you know the outcome.

As a note I also have working an Arduino LCD 2 x 16 Shield which I will attempt in a second phase to output text to via System.Console.WriteLine

regards
Grahame
Nov 18, 2014 at 10:00 PM
Sounds great!