Visual Studio Express?

Topics: Developing Cosmos (Working on Cosmos source code directly)
Sep 27, 2014 at 8:31 AM
I was thinking about checking out the dev kit and take a look at the famous FAT/compiler bug. I only have Visual Studio Express here at home. Is it possible to build cosmos dev kit using Visual Studio Express somehow? I'm very comfortable using sequences of command line options, and what not. Please advice.

I found this page judging itself as "outdated" and does not seem to help when building the dev kit. https://cosmos.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Using%20Visual%20Studio%20Express&referringTitle=Building%20Dev%20Kit
Coordinator
Sep 28, 2014 at 11:40 AM
It is possible to install the VS SDK with some registry tricks. But I guess I removed the registry file. So I can't give it to you.
Coordinator
Sep 28, 2014 at 12:14 PM
What I can research is that it need this both keys. Set it and try it. FYI it checks also a vscore folder but is not present on my PC

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DevDiv\vs\Servicing\12.0\professional]
"Install"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DevDiv\vssdk\Servicing\12.0\core]
"Version"="12.0.21005"
Sep 29, 2014 at 12:56 AM
Just get the the Pro version from dreamspark, the registration takes 1 min. Just get a friend, or a family member who in a student
https://ww.dreamspark.com
You just need their student email address.
Oct 1, 2014 at 6:34 PM
Alright, thanks for your replies guys. To summarize there is no way to invoke the IL2CPU & NASM tools from the command line in any way?
Coordinator
Oct 2, 2014 at 6:26 AM
We still want someone to make .exe versions of the msbuild tasks, but nobody took the job yet.....
Coordinator
Oct 2, 2014 at 6:15 PM
@vidstige: is my registry stuff working? or is it to deep for you?

mh, what should the exe version do? what the install.bat do is already call msbuild. The win is only that we have more code to maintain.
Any improvment which I miss?
Oct 3, 2014 at 6:05 PM
No problems with the regsitry. But your solution does not involve running from command line, but rather hacks visual studio to believe its a full version. But thanks anyway.
Coordinator
Oct 14, 2014 at 10:29 PM
I tested it now on a fresh installed Windows, and the build works! If you need such tools, grab the work item and not only you will be happy.
Coordinator
Oct 15, 2014 at 6:52 AM
The FAT/Compiler bug seems to be fixed now...
Oct 15, 2014 at 7:19 AM
Thanks for the update! However, I've got involved in the MOSA project.

Some reasons I choose it over COSMOS: It's much more straightforward to start working on as it can build right from source without any VS plugins and so on. The code structure is much more thought trough and well maintained. Also they use git.
Coordinator
Oct 15, 2014 at 2:24 PM
FAT itself is not that hard. We were blocked by 2 compiler bugs, that are now fixed so FAT should progress quickly now.