Microsoft .NET Core Open Source

Topics: Compiler, Developing Cosmos (Working on Cosmos source code directly), Off Topic, Other, Using Cosmos (Developing your own OS, projects, etc), X#
Nov 17, 2014 at 8:26 PM
What is the view of the team with regards to the development of Cosmos and the Microsoft Announcement that .NET Core and CLR is to be Open Source; will this impact the project direction and/or roadmap?

Is it time to re-evaluate the project goals and implementation given the news?
Coordinator
Nov 18, 2014 at 10:12 AM
Doesnt really affect us much. We use IL not source and most .NET source was already available to see.

The only areas it potentially helps us is in some new areas of source such as JIT. We've had issues in the past where things were not clear in the ECMA spec and we've had to do a lot of investigation. Now we have some options to look inside if needed, but we've already passed most of the hurdles.

The only major change is that now Cosmos can "legally" run on non VM hardware under the new .NET licenses.
Nov 18, 2014 at 6:32 PM
Kudzu,

Thanks for your comments/reply with; I was wondering more along the lines of the Cosmos Project joining the community under the .NET Foundation and having the benefits that may bring to the project as a whole.

regards
Grahame
Coordinator
Nov 18, 2014 at 9:01 PM
Still generally doesn't affect us. We don't need to change BCL. We can certainly join the project and I'm former Microsoft myself - but at this point we don't need to change code as we plug it and need to continue to plug it.
Developer
Dec 2, 2014 at 7:45 PM
Could .NET being open source help cosmos be used with Mac and linux now or could user already develop using other platforms besides windows?
Coordinator
Dec 2, 2014 at 7:48 PM
You aren't clear what you mean by "with".. Cosmos running on Mac or Linux? That makes no sense. Cosmos runs on its own, hardware or VM.

If you mean developing, no. Visual Studio isn't running anywhere but Windows.
Developer
Dec 2, 2014 at 7:55 PM
Yes my bad developing is want I meant, but won't the .NET framework along with the developing tools be cross-platform eventually? Isn't that why microsoft made it open source?
Coordinator
Dec 2, 2014 at 7:59 PM
I havent seen any hinting at open sourcing Visual Studio and I don't see that happening any time soon. It also has a ton of dependencies.

Cosmos could run in Eclipse etc, but its just too much effort for little benefit, and especially since we have so few active devs to begin with. Building Cosmos on other platforms wouldn't be too hard, but the debugging etc is another story.
Developer
Dec 2, 2014 at 8:04 PM
Could someone potential make there own environment for developing cosmos ?
Coordinator
Dec 2, 2014 at 8:10 PM
Absolutely. Or it could work in Eclipse or some other environment. For the core team, its just a matter of resources and maint., But if someone wants to do it, so long as it doesn't overly complicate or interfere with our existing code then they will have our blessing and support.