This project is read-only.

Got a few questions...

Jun 3, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Hi, i have a few questions for the COSMOS team.

1. Does (and if yes, how to do it) COSMOS support hard drives  and ssds?
  2. Can i use File.Copy(), because if i could, i could make an installation class to install COSMOS onto stuff besides network boots and cds or dvds
  3. How the HECK does Cosmos.Sys.FileSystem work???!!!! My operating system really needs one.

Thanks.

Jun 4, 2010 at 10:00 AM
> Does (and if yes, how to do it) COSMOS support hard drives  and ssds?
It supports IDE drives (PATA). (possibly SATA drives in compat mode, but not sure). this is read write.

> Can i use File.Copy(), because if i could, i could make an installation class to install COSMOS onto stuff besides network boots and cds or dvds
> How the HECK does Cosmos.Sys.FileSystem work???!!!! My operating system really needs one.

Cosmos supports the Ext2 filesystem, but no partitioning and writing! This means that when formatting under linux you need to format /dev/sdb, not /dev/sdb1...
You shouldn't need to directly use Cosmos.Sys.FileSystem. Most filesystem stuff we support (read only), is accessible via System.IO.

For example: System.IO.Directory.GetFiles(string), .GetDirectories(string), File.ReadAllBytes(string)

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 8:05 PM, joshbeitler <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi, i have a few questions for the COSMOS team.

1. Does (and if yes, how to do it) COSMOS support hard drives  and ssds?
  2. Can i use File.Copy(), because if i could, i could make an installation class to install COSMOS onto stuff besides network boots and cds or dvds
  3. How the HECK does Cosmos.Sys.FileSystem work???!!!! My operating system really needs one.

Thanks.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jun 4, 2010 at 7:55 PM

thanks!  but, can comsos be booted from a hard drive?  so, file.copy works then?

Jun 4, 2010 at 9:46 PM
from what sources cosmos can be booted doesn't have anything to do
with cosmos, that's the bootloader.

it's the bootloaders functionality to load our os ( cosmos ) into
memory and hand over control. once control is given to us, we cannot
use anything else, but our code...

On 6/4/10, joshbeitler <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:
> From: joshbeitler
>
> thanks! but, can comsos be booted from a hard drive? so, file.copy works
> then?
>
>
Jun 7, 2010 at 4:58 PM
OK, then here are a few more: 1. How do i center text in the operating system 2. I am making a login procedure for my operating system. I have to recreate the account every time i start the os because i (dont know) cant save files!
Jun 7, 2010 at 5:00 PM
saving files doesn't work yet as it isn't implemented yet.

centering text should be possible the same way as it's done in a normal .net console application: by calculating at which position to start, and then pad with spaces.

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 5:58 PM, joshbeitler <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

OK, then here are a few more: 1. How do i center text in the operating system 2. I am making a login procedure for my operating system. I have to recreate the account every time i start the os because i (dont know) cant save files!

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jun 7, 2010 at 5:13 PM
I asked to join an you said i should sign up fore your mailing list, but im afraid i cant join it. but i still want to join.
Jun 7, 2010 at 5:15 PM
Issues with joining the mailinglist, or?

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 6:13 PM, joshbeitler <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I asked to join an you said i should sign up fore your mailing list, but im afraid i cant join it. but i still want to join.

Jun 7, 2010 at 5:18 PM
Well, belive it or not, im just a 12 year old hacker making an operating system for fun! I don't have a yahoo id and my parents don't want to get one, which really complicates things.
Jun 7, 2010 at 5:23 PM
at least please at in contact with us, skype is fine as well, but might be complicated for you..

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 6:18 PM, joshbeitler <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Well, belive it or not, im just a 12 year old hacker making an operating system for fun! I don't have a yahoo id and my parents don't want to get one, which really complicates things.

Jun 7, 2010 at 5:25 PM
there are several ways to come in contact: 1. email 2. the forum on my website (gotjosh.co.cc/support.php) 3. facebook 4. twitter (you were right about skype, i dont have a webcam. but i could if i did...)
Jun 7, 2010 at 5:26 PM
We use skype for text chat mainly. We also have an irc channel (#cosmos at freenode)

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 6:25 PM, joshbeitler <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

there are several ways to come in contact: 1. email 2. the forum on my website (gotjosh.co.cc/support.php) 3. facebook 4. twitter (you were right about skype, i dont have a webcam. but i could if i did...)

Jun 7, 2010 at 5:33 PM
where could i find that?
Jun 7, 2010 at 5:34 PM
for skype, just add me (mterwoord), but skype would be better (although still somewhat less used)

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 6:33 PM, joshbeitler <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

where could i find that?

Jun 7, 2010 at 5:36 PM
I joined the irc chat. plus, i really think you should let me redesign your site...i got a great idea that would make it more productive to use and more helpful.