Need help with some editing of source

Jun 12, 2010 at 6:38 AM

Hey, I'm new to Cosmos and I have a question: how would I go about editing Cosmos.Kernel.Heap? I need access to ...Heap.mStartAddress, but visual C# express gives me an error that it's not defined. I know I can edit it with the devkit, but I am using Visual C# 2008 Express, which apparently you guys don't support in the devkit. How can this problem be solved? Thanks in advance.

Coordinator
Jun 12, 2010 at 8:26 AM
For now, we dont support Express users. However, this might change in the future (same goes for next userkit releases).

What do you want with the StartAddress?

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 8:38 AM, requimrar <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hey, I'm new to Cosmos and I have a question: how would I go about editing Cosmos.Kernel.Heap? I need access to ...Heap.mStartAddress, but visual C# express gives me an error that it's not defined. I know I can edit it with the devkit, but I am using Visual C# 2008 Express, which apparently you guys don't support in the devkit. How can this problem be solved? Thanks in advance.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jun 12, 2010 at 8:41 AM

Ohh. just mess with it and o some basic memory stuff... Also doing it too often could cause random characters to scroll across your screen... Also maybe in the next milestone you can make a CTRL-C combination to stop that...

Coordinator
Jun 12, 2010 at 9:46 AM
random characters on the screen? sounds like a bug somewhere. could you narrow it down more?

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 10:41 AM, requimrar <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Ohh. just mess with it and o some basic memory stuff... Also doing it too often could cause random characters to scroll across your screen... Also maybe in the next milestone you can make a CTRL-C combination to stop that...

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jun 12, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Ok. So I have this thing where I make a uint variable, and then assign it the value of mStartAddress. Then, when I check for memory usage, I would set mStartAddress to the uint variable, effectively "re-using" the memory. However, doing so too often causes strange effects, such as a command being in the input buffer of Console.ReadLine() when I did not type anything. After a few rounds of this, the stuff comes up on screen.

Coordinator
Jun 12, 2010 at 11:30 AM
eh, are you changing info from the heap, without the memory being unused? that's not good anyway..

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 1:06 PM, requimrar <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Ok. So I have this thing where I make a uint variable, and then assign it the value of mStartAddress. Then, when I check for memory usage, I would set mStartAddress to the uint variable, effectively "re-using" the memory. However, doing so too often causes strange effects, such as a command being in the input buffer of Console.ReadLine() when I did not type anything. After a few rounds of this, the stuff comes up on screen.

Jun 13, 2010 at 1:10 AM

So is there a way to reset that bit of memory? As in just make it back to 00000000 or something...

Coordinator
Jun 13, 2010 at 10:13 AM
That's one of the reasons we dont want people to touch that value: there's no garantee it's being used.

starting at 0x200000 is our kernel, than after our kernel is the heap memory. we currently don't have a garbage collector.
Below 0x200000 is hardware memory (for example, 0xB8000 is text screen)

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 3:10 AM, requimrar <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

So is there a way to reset that bit of memory? As in just make it back to 00000000 or something...

Jun 13, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Ok, so maybe I could free up memory? My OS is very memory intensive... And 48MB burns quite fast. So is there a way to reuse that part of memory?

Coordinator
Jun 13, 2010 at 11:03 AM
Not really. Only thing for now you could do is use unsafe memory, and only allocate it once, and do the management yourself.

Other thing you could do, is get someone to write us a garbage collector.....

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 1:00 PM, requimrar <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Ok, so maybe I could free up memory? My OS is very memory intensive... And 48MB burns quite fast. So is there a way to reuse that part of memory?

Jun 13, 2010 at 11:05 AM

And how would I do that?

Coordinator
Jun 13, 2010 at 11:08 AM
Which of the two? use heap? the Heap class has an Allocate method, which will return an address. You can turn it into a pointer, and then use unsafe c# code.

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 1:05 PM, requimrar <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

And how would I do that?

Jun 13, 2010 at 11:12 AM

An address? As in a 0x0000000 (I hope I got the number of zeros right)? So how would I turn it into a pointer? And what about using

"unsafe" stuff? I know that there is a keyword unsafe, but how should I use it?

Coordinator
Jun 13, 2010 at 11:26 AM
If you're not yet familiar with the unsafe keyword, and related stuff, it's maybe better to not even touch it, as it's quite complex to really use it well...

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 1:13 PM, requimrar <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

An address? As in a 0x0000000 (I hope I got the number of zeros right)? So how would I turn it into a pointer? And what about using

"unsafe" stuff? I know that there is a keyword unsafe, but how should I use it?

Jun 13, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Won't you help me?

Jun 13, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Oh and there is no Heap.Allocate method... Or do you mean MemAlloc?

Coordinator
Jun 15, 2010 at 8:01 AM
We can help you with cosmos related stuff, but I'm not planning (probably the others neither) to give you a full mentoring on c# unsafe programming and all related stuff....

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 1:27 PM, requimrar <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Won't you help me?

Jun 15, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Right... Anyways, I have figured it out, but the text continues to scroll down the screen... What is the format of mStartAddress? null? 0x0000000? 0x00000000? or 0? Which is it?

Jun 15, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Also, Cosmos seems to have a limit for the number of "cases" in a "switch". Is it true? If it is then I think the limit is 5... Why have a limit? To develop a good-enough command based operating system, it needs at least 10 commands! So now testing for commands is limited to 5 cases, and "if" tests in the default case... Please fix it!!!

Coordinator
Jun 15, 2010 at 11:14 AM
Format? It's just a normal .net number.

The limit for the number of cases is related to how the c# compiler compiles: after a certain amount (and depending on which data type), it adds to a list and uses IndexOf etc, have a look at the MSIL generated, using a tool like Reflector

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 12:25 PM, requimrar <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Right... Anyways, I have figured it out, but the text continues to scroll down the screen... What is the format of mStartAddress? null? 0x0000000? 0x00000000? or 0? Which is it?

Jun 17, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Oh... Ok... In my program I use switch-case on strings... Maybe thats causing it? I know that modifying a string actually returns a new copy but is that the problem? Also, is filesystem support fully implemented? Or is it just reading files and folders??? Thanks for all you help!

Coordinator
Jun 17, 2010 at 10:18 AM
Strings uses List<string> always, which is not supported, you shuold use if statements for that.

Filesystem reading is only supported..

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 12:16 PM, requimrar <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Oh... Ok... In my program I use switch-case on strings... Maybe thats causing it? I know that modifying a string actually returns a new copy but is that the problem? Also, is filesystem support fully implemented? Or is it just reading files and folders??? Thanks for all you help!

Jun 17, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Oh... That's disappointing... So when is milestone 5 coming out? The userkit still supports express right? Also, will it support full file support? And if it does not support express I'm gonna kill you... No, not the devkit.  the USERkit.

Coordinator
Jun 17, 2010 at 10:40 AM
the MS5 userkit will NOT support express.

Regarding file writing support: it'll be there when it's there. which means that right now, there are other more important things to work on...

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 12:33 PM, requimrar <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Oh... That's disappointing... So when is milestone 5 coming out? The userkit still supports express right? Also, will it support full file support? And if it does not support express I'm gonna kill you... No, not the devkit.  the USERkit.

Jun 17, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Ok... Where the hell do you live? I'm gonna kill you... Come on!!! Will there be a hack for it? Other than buying the bloody thing???

Coordinator
Jun 17, 2010 at 10:49 AM
There are plans for enabling it again, but for now, it's because the MS5 (and later) stuff relies on a custom project type and a custmo debugger engine. At some point we'll be investigating the possible use of Visual Studio Shell, but that's low on our list.

How bad do you want it?

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 12:45 PM, requimrar <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Ok... Where the hell do you live? I'm gonna kill you... Come on!!! Will there be a hack for it? Other than buying the bloody thing???

Jun 17, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Real bad... And I'm sure not most people using Cosmos are just guys who do this for a hobby and don't wanna waste money on this...

Coordinator
Jun 17, 2010 at 10:59 AM
The goal of cosmos is to aid in the development of embedded and HPC kind of operating systems, which is most likely done by companies, which are probably not using Express editions of visual studio.

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 12:52 PM, requimrar <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Real bad... And I'm sure not most people using Cosmos are just guys who do this for a hobby and don't wanna waste money on this...

Jun 17, 2010 at 11:04 AM

orly? The problem is not that I don't have visual studio, I bought it a month ago. Problem: MicroShit says my key has been used too many times... And guess what? That email in my inbox is still UNREAD when I opened it! So no way I could have accidentally leaked it... Also, there were no viruses on my system... Damn MicroShit! They are also not replying to my emails, dismissing them as "Emails from someone who downloaded cracked software" Shit!

Coordinator
Jun 17, 2010 at 11:07 AM
For the "too often used" thing, they have a phone number (at least, they have for Windows licenses)

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 1:04 PM, requimrar <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

orly? The problem is not that I don't have visual studio, I bought it a month ago. Problem: MicroShit says my key has been used too many times... And guess what? That email in my inbox is still UNREAD when I opened it! So no way I could have accidentally leaked it... Also, there were no viruses on my system... Damn MicroShit! They are also not replying to my emails, dismissing them as "Emails from someone who downloaded cracked software" Shit!

Jun 17, 2010 at 3:09 PM

wow... I didn't notice that... Anyways, does Cosmos support Lists and ArrayLists? Cause when I use ArrayLists the compiler gives me stuff like System.Threading.Moniter.Enter etc etc... 

Coordinator
Jun 17, 2010 at 3:56 PM
It even supports List<T>, but it depends on what methods you use...

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 5:10 PM, requimrar <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

wow... I didn't notice that... Anyways, does Cosmos support Lists and ArrayLists? Cause when I use ArrayLists the compiler gives me stuff like System.Threading.Moniter.Enter etc etc... 

Jun 18, 2010 at 6:42 AM

ok... exactly what methods are supported??? Also, does Cosmos dev kit support VS 2010???

Jun 18, 2010 at 6:53 AM

Bloody hell I don't have a lot of the freaking dependancies! WTF does Cosmos even support VS 2010??? Just when I got the full version you shit me with this!

Coordinator
Jun 18, 2010 at 8:03 AM
You start to be quite rude.

We dont support VS2010. (Which does not mean it wont work, but just we are not planning to support it for a bit..)

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 8:53 AM, requimrar <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Bloody hell I don't have a lot of the freaking dependancies! WTF does Cosmos even support VS 2010??? Just when I got the full version you shit me with this!

Jun 18, 2010 at 9:28 AM

I apologise for my rudeness. But why??? So does the userkit installer support 2010? If not I'm gonna take out my knife...

Coordinator
Jun 18, 2010 at 9:32 AM
We did not yet do any testing, and are not planning to do any testing in 2010 soon.

Not sure if the userkit installer will do any checks to see if 2008 is installed, but it surely only installs into 2008. If you want to help out in this area, please be our guest...

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 11:28 AM, requimrar <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I apologise for my rudeness. But why??? So does the userkit installer support 2010? If not I'm gonna take out my knife...

Jun 18, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Actually it works perfectly... Is Milestone 5 of the User Kit just the same installer that copies different files into the installation directory? If so then it is almost guaranteed to work.

Coordinator
Jun 18, 2010 at 11:00 AM
No. MS4 (and below) consisted of a bunch of assemblies installed and a visual studio template. MS5 (and beyond) consists of a visual studio addin. those addins are installed into vs using registry keys, which are different between visual studio versions

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:24 PM, requimrar <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Actually it works perfectly... Is Milestone 5 of the User Kit just the same installer that copies different files into the installation directory? If so then it is almost guaranteed to work.

Jun 18, 2010 at 12:56 PM

So what you're telling me is that... MY MONEY WAS WASTED???

Jun 18, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Also, if CTRL-ALT-DEL is pressed in native execution (ie. not in a vm) then the CTRL-ALT-DEL message will appear, even during execution like playing a song through beeping, it will still detect it? If so then is there a way to add a CTRL-C function to it to stop execution (Like DOS)?

Jun 18, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Why don't you seem to respond to me at night? (I live in Singapore aka GMT+8) I anxiously check my mail for your replies... Also, I think there is a workaround to making the VS 2008 Add-In work in VS 2010... Just Googled a bit. I think you just have to beware not to reference version-specific items... Currently downloading VS 2008... I hope my Key has not expired yet... So many years...

Coordinator
Jun 18, 2010 at 4:42 PM
You didn't specifically ask me about 2010, and the ability to use Cosmos (current devkit or future releases) on it...

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 2:56 PM, requimrar <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

So what you're telling me is that... MY MONEY WAS WASTED???

Coordinator
Jun 18, 2010 at 4:43 PM
I live in another part of the world (Germany, GMT+1)

I told you that even the current one MIGHT work in VS2010, but we need to change some parts of the installer (that's for sure), and for now there's no priority given to that investigation.

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 3:33 PM, requimrar <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Why don't you seem to respond to me at night? (I live in Singapore aka GMT+8) I anxiously check my mail for your replies... Also, I think there is a workaround to making the VS 2008 Add-In work in VS 2010... Just Googled a bit. I think you just have to beware not to reference version-specific items... Currently downloading VS 2008... I hope my Key has not expired yet... So many years...

Jun 19, 2010 at 2:16 AM

Hmm...  But why?

Coordinator
Jun 19, 2010 at 7:56 AM
Why no priority? VS2008 works, so why move forward, and either keep up to date 2 .sln and .csproj sets, or kick out EVERYONE not having VS2010 yet.

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 4:16 AM, requimrar <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hmm...  But why?

Jun 19, 2010 at 8:09 AM

So... you mean that it MAY work, but there's no guarantee. Also, I don't suppose you guys implemented \r correctly? Cuz when I use the trick that makes use of \r's ability to return the cursor to the beginning of the line to make a progress bar, lots of smiley faces and music notes and dots pop up. And... yes. Changing the source through "MY" way caused some crashing, but only with Cosmos.Hardware. Editing Cosmos.Kernel did nothing.

Coordinator
Jun 19, 2010 at 8:12 AM
For isntalling the new devkit/userkit, you will definitely need to change the installer. We are not (yet) going to put resources in that ourselves, but you are free to do so, of course.

Regarding the cursor position: it should be possible to use Console.CursorLeft

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 10:09 AM, requimrar <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

So... you mean that it MAY work, but there's no guarantee. Also, I don't suppose you guys implemented \r correctly? Cuz when I use the trick that makes use of \r's ability to return the cursor to the beginning of the line to make a progress bar, lots of smiley faces and music notes and dots pop up. And... yes. Changing the source through "MY" way caused some crashing, but only with Cosmos.Hardware. Editing Cosmos.Kernel did nothing.

Jun 24, 2010 at 5:38 AM

Ah... Yes... Never mind, I already re-downloaded my copy of visual studio 2008, and I am currently installing. So after i install, will I also be able to work on my OS in vs2010? I don't mind using 2008 for developing Cosmos, but using 2008 for my OS will take some getting used to... Is the package registration and debugger registration global?

Coordinator
Jun 24, 2010 at 8:11 AM

Like i said before, the package itself might work in 2010, but at least the
registration has to be modified.

Jun 24, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Anyways, does milestone 5 require the use of regpkg? What about this milestone? Can I use the regpkg from VS2010? I can't seem to get the 2008 SDK to install...

Darn! I just built the .sln file, ran the .bat as admin, but there was no Cosmos.VS.Debug.Register... I found one in some other folder, so I used it instead. One problem: I can NEVER find Cosmos.VS.Package! Ever! could you send it to me at zhiayang@gmail.com?

Coordinator
Jun 24, 2010 at 8:35 AM

I'm not going to send binaries over, as there's no way to tell if we're on the same version.  First of all, you need to install the SDK for sure. Next, you don't need Cosmos.VS.Debug.Register, as that's incorporated into the Tools\VSIP\install.bat file.

Next, it seems there are some issues with that .bat file, but need to investigate, but no time yet.

Jun 24, 2010 at 8:42 AM

but the sdk is just for the regpkg right? I'm on the latest build on this site.

Jun 24, 2010 at 8:44 AM

Anyways, the add-in for milestone 5 requires the SDK? I can't seem to install it... It always says that I don't have VS2008... Could it be that I have not installed a single Service Pack?