This project is read-only.

Some tips for people using Visual C# Express...

Jun 13, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Ok. So for some reason these people at Cosmos have not made the devkit available for people using the Express edition of Visual C# (No offense). So here's a tip:

1. Download the latest changeset from Cosmos.

2. Navigate to source\Cosmos\

3. Navigate to the folder with what you wanna change

4. As an example, I wanna change the protection status for two variables in Kernel.Heap, so I open the Cosmos.Kernel folder

5. Open the .csproj file and ignore any warnings

6. Select the file you wanna edit in Visual C#, and then change it.

7. Save it

8. Press "Build" on the top menu, and then "Build Solution", remember not to use debug

9. Go to the bin\debug folder, and then copy those two .dll and .pdb files.

10. Navigate to the folder where you installed Cosmos.

11. Go to "Tools"

12. Paste the .dll and .pdb files you copied earlier into these folders: Cosmos.Hardware, Cosmos.Hardware.Plugs, Cosmos. Kernel.Plugs, Cosmos.Sys.Plugs

13. Paste just the .dll into the folder GAC.

14. You are ready to go! In my example, I can now access the two "private" variables in Kernel.Heap.

Jun 15, 2010 at 12:59 AM

Or just reinstall the userkit. Same issue with me. I reinstalled the userkit and VC# 2008 express showed it. Much easier, don't you think?

--------

:)

Jun 15, 2010 at 9:36 AM
kmf: userkit is a release, devkit is a developer snapshot, ie leading edge.

requimrar: let me explain the " for some reason" part: To be able to give cosmos developers an incredible development experience (I really mean incredible, watch MS5 publicity when it is out!), we have to make some dicisions. One of these dicisions is that we chose to (at least for MS5) require users to have VS standard or higher. This enables us to make a custom project type in Visual Studio, with a custom debug engine, etc.

We do have some plans in this area, but not for MS5.

Also, your guidelines regarding using "devkit" from Express: it's highly likely that it'll give very weird crashes at some point...

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 2:00 AM, jmf316 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Or just reinstall the userkit. Same issue with me. I reinstalled the userkit and VC# 2008 express showed it. Much easier, don't you think?

--------

:)

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jun 17, 2010 at 11:22 AM

@jmf316 

No, that's not my motive. My motive is that someone would want to modify Cosmos to, for example, access a private method, or something. However, that "someone" is using VS C# EXPRESS, which is not supported in the devkit. So this way, you can still edit stuff in express, although it's not that smooth and convenient...

Jun 17, 2010 at 11:24 AM

@mterwoord

Well, it has never crashed on me!

Jun 17, 2010 at 11:44 AM
Sure, but i'm saying this so we dont get complaints when it does crash....

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 12:24 PM, requimrar <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

@mterwoord

Well, it has never crashed on me!

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com