harddrive ext2/fat

Jun 19, 2010 at 7:45 AM

Hello,

first sorry for my bad english, i'm a student from germany...

So, my OS needs access to some very big files, so how can I use the harddrive?

any code?

thx, Tobias

Coordinator
Jun 19, 2010 at 8:58 AM
Accessing the harddrive is done using the normal System.IO namespace. Please keep in mind that not all features there are working already.
Working are (not completely sure, just what i remember):
+ Directory.GetDirectories(string)
+ Directory.GetFiles(string)
+ FIle.ReadALlBytes(string)

Also, with larger files (probably even files larger than logical blocksize) might be bugs, as there has not been much testing with that. It's not that usable yet, as we dont have a garbage collector yet.

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 8:45 AM, Manawyrm <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hello,

first sorry for my bad english, i'm a student from germany...

So, my OS needs access to some very big files, so how can I use the harddrive?

any code?

thx, Tobias

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jun 19, 2010 at 11:19 AM
Thank very much, im going to try this out now (-:
Coordinator
Jun 19, 2010 at 11:54 AM
One thing to keep in mind, is that you need to format your disk, instead of making a partition.

In linux: do mkfs.ext2 /dev/sdb instead of /dev/sdbX (where X is partition id)

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 12:19 PM, Manawyrm <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Thank very much, im going to try this out now (-:

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jun 19, 2010 at 12:19 PM

thx.

but now,            

Console.WriteLine(System.IO.Directory.GetFiles("what do i have to type here")(0));

Whats wrong with this, and what do i have to type in?

Coordinator
Jun 20, 2010 at 7:55 AM
start by using GetDirectories("/"), which should give you a list (starting by "0", etc) which basically is the driveletter (to use windows terms)

It's in the format of /0/MyRootFile.txt

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Manawyrm <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

thx.

but now,            

Console.WriteLine(System.IO.Directory.GetFiles("what do i have to type here")(0));

Whats wrong with this, and what do i have to type in?

Jun 20, 2010 at 8:08 AM

thanks, it works now (-:

http://tbspace.de/piclabl.php?bild=images/pics/tux.png

YIPPIE (-:

Great project