FileSystem

Jul 2, 2010 at 12:51 AM
can cosmos write files to a hard disk or flash drive currently? if not.. when do you think it will be implemented
Coordinator
Jul 2, 2010 at 7:21 AM
Currently, writing files is not implemented. We have no clue on when it'll be implemented. Depends on the amount of resources we'll have.

Currently, we're focusing on development experience (integrated debug for example) and compiler. As improvements in those areas will directly help get us going faster..

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 2:51 AM, cecilcounty <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

can cosmos write files to a hard disk or flash drive currently? if not.. when do you think it will be implemented

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jul 11, 2010 at 1:27 PM

How do you mount and do a directory listing using cosmos - I have been looking at the screenshots and they show this case for the demo console application however when I look at the source code for this in the dev kit I see the mount command has not been implemented and most of the code in dir is commented out.

Here is what I would like to do either

1) Create a virtual disk in Cosmos and allow it to read the disk

2) Have cosmos mount a RAM disk on my system and allow it to read files

3) Have cosmos mount a USB drive and allow it to read files from there

Are any of these situations possible or is there another way to do this kind of task?  At this point I am just experimenting but I want to implement a simple filesystem demo and cannot seem to see how to get started here...  Any help much appreciated.

Coordinator
Jul 11, 2010 at 2:43 PM
Cosmos does not support partitioning yet. What you need to do is format the disk using ext2, for example in linux using the following command:

mkfs.ext2 /dev/sdb     (where sdb is the device you want to format)

Then, when you attach the device to cosmos, it wil automatically mount it.

You can do directory listings using System.IO.Directory.GetDirectories(string), and System.IO.Directory.GetFiles(string)   (no other overloads..)

start by getting and showing a directory listing of "/" (or "\\", not completely sure), as that iwll list the mounted filesystems.

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 3:28 PM, jer006 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

How do you mount and do a directory listing using cosmos - I have been looking at the screenshots and they show this case for the demo console application however when I look at the source code for this in the dev kit I see the mount command has not been implemented and most of the code in dir is commented out.

Here is what I would like to do either

1) Create a virtual disk in Cosmos and allow it to read the disk

2) Have cosmos mount a RAM disk on my system and allow it to read files

3) Have cosmos mount a USB drive and allow it to read files from there

Are any of these situations possible or is there another way to do this kind of task?  At this point I am just experimenting but I want to implement a simple filesystem demo and cannot seem to see how to get started here...  Any help much appreciated.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jul 11, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Sorry for the stupid question but I just started looking at Cosmos...  How do I attach the device to cosmos?  For example what would be the steps to attaching my USB drive to Cosmos (formatted in FAT32)

Also you talk about using System.IO for working with the filesystem, this is great but what part does the Cosmos.Sys.FileSystem namespace classes play in this - are these the kernel drivers which make it all possible?

Developer
Jul 12, 2010 at 2:00 AM

cosmos desperately needs a file system.  and a way to make a gui easier.  maybe, x11. someday, someday.

Coordinator
Jul 12, 2010 at 6:43 AM
We have a filesystem, ext2, also, gui is a huge amount of development to do decent, and even a huge amount more to do good.

We're now working on the basics, and once we get that, we can progress faster.

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 4:00 AM, joshbeitler <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

cosmos desperately needs a file system.  and a way to make a gui easier.  maybe, x11. someday, someday.