Packet Communication System

Developer
Aug 2, 2010 at 6:43 PM

I am developing an operating system that needs to have a file system.  I know COSMOS doesn't support it, but i was wondering if it could be possible to create a system in which the OS sends a packet containing a command, such as a request for a username, to a server and then the server will respond with the proper info (ie: the username) and the OS can then interpret that and make use of it.

Does that make any sense at all? it does to me and i think of it as possible.

I was thinking along the lines of using Comsos.Sys.Packet or Comos.Sys.EthernetPacket.  To send and receive.

Coordinator
Aug 2, 2010 at 7:10 PM
Cosmos doesn't support writing to file yet, but reading should work.

For networking: TCP/IP should work.

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 7:43 PM, joshbeitler <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I am developing an operating system that needs to have a file system.  I know COSMOS doesn't support it, but i was wondering if it could be possible to create a system in which the OS sends a packet containing a command, such as a request for a username, to a server and then the server will respond with the proper info (ie: the username) and the OS can then interpret that and make use of it.

Does that make any sense at all? it does to me and i think of it as possible.

I was thinking along the lines of using Comsos.Sys.Packet or Comos.Sys.EthernetPacket.  To send and receive.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Developer
Aug 2, 2010 at 11:29 PM

I am not trying to write a file, i am retrieving strings from a server via the internet.

Coordinator
Aug 3, 2010 at 3:02 AM

Soon. Now that MS5 is done, we are going to revisit TCP and UDP and get them up to spec.

Coordinator
Aug 3, 2010 at 7:53 AM
Josh, you started you message by saying "I am developing an operating system that needs to have a file system", therefore i said Cosmos supports file-reading..

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 12:30 AM, joshbeitler <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I am not trying to write a file, i am retrieving strings from a server via the internet.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Cosmos@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Developer
Aug 3, 2010 at 4:36 PM

By filesystem i meant writing of files.  that's why i came up with this idea.

Oct 8, 2010 at 7:55 PM

i would like to see a web browser in cosmos one day. not today, just someday... u know? (lol that is a huge amount of work  to do tho xD)

Coordinator
Oct 9, 2010 at 12:57 AM
On 10/8/2010 2:55 PM, Hack3rinc wrote:
> i would like to see a web browser in cosmos one day. not today, just
> someday... u know? (lol that is a huge amount of work to do tho xD)

Sure, after dynamic loading, threading, GUI, networking....